Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM

21 posts, read 31,021 times

Advertisements

first time visiting France on a business trip from Seattle, US. Don't know french..

My work location will be at ST-QUENTIN. I was suggested to stay in Paris and commute daily. What hotels do you guys suggest for easy commute (hopefully direct train between these two places). Also if it is close to any good Indian restaurants, that would be great (but not required).

I don't do much sightseeing as i plan to visit again with family later.

Any way to get SIM card (on the same day) to use it on unlocked GSM phone for voice and data plan?

Edit: I think the city is Saint-Ouen (NOT ST-QUENTIN).. now i am feeling as it is very close to France.

Last edited by priceline; 07-27-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,608,425 times
Calling Saint-Ouen or Saint-Quentin (I beleive the its Saint Quentin en Yvelines) cities is a bit exagerated, both are Paris suburbs.
Saint-Ouen is a nothern inner suburbs of Paris served by the metro line 13 (Garibaldi and Mairie de Saint Ouen) the RER C (Saint Ouen) and close to the northern terminal of the metro line 4 (Porte de Cligancourt).

It depends where you will work in Saint Ouen.
Do you have more information about where you will be in Saint Ouen ?
The line 13 north of Saint Lazare tend to be very crowded during rush hours (expected in July and August) and the RER C to Saint Ouen is not very frequent (a train every 10-15 minutes, with even lower frequencies in July and August).

In my opinion for commuting in Saint Ouen, take an hotel close to Gare Saint Lazare, the station is very well located and allows an easy commute to almost everywhere.
Gare Saint Lazare is located inside one of Paris busiest shopping and commercial area.

You will find indian restants everywhere but I can not guarantee the quality, the main southasian district of Paris is near Gare du Nord, especially rue du Faubourg Saint Denis between gare du Nord and La Chapelle metro station.
Gare du Nord is at 1 station of Gare Saint Lazare by using the RER E.

Plan metro
Saint Ouen is in the north of the map (C2, D2).

Old 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Rue, Touzet Gaillard 93486 Saint Ouen - this is the location..

Old 07-28-2012, 01:05 PM

The closest station is Saint Ouen RER C but this part of the RER has rather low frequencies, look at the timetable.
From Saint-Lazare, there are several choise.
-Take the metro line 13 to Porte de Clichy (direction to Asniere/Genevilliers) and change for the RER C.
-Take the metro line 13 to Porte de Saint Ouen (direction Saint Denis) and change for bus line 341 (direction Charles de Gaulle Etoile), the bus stop is Touzet-Gaillard.

Do not hesitate to use this site for your commute.
http://www.vianavigo.com/en/#

Old 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
The closest station is Saint Ouen RER C but this part of the RER has rather low frequencies, look at the timetable.
From Saint-Lazare, there are several choise.
-Take the metro line 13 to Porte de Clichy (direction to Asniere/Genevilliers) and change for the RER C.
-Take the metro line 13 to Porte de Saint Ouen (direction Saint Denis) and change for bus line 341 (direction Charles de Gaulle Etoile), the bus stop is Touzet-Gaillard.

Do not hesitate to use this site for your commute.
http://www.vianavigo.com/en/#
Thank you. how long would it take for the entire trip? is it easy to walk from Clichy or St Ouen? How much the taxi would charge?

Also was checking for Eiffel tower tickets, all were sold out for both Saturday and Sunday. Is that typical or it will open up later (days I checked are 4th and 5th of Aug).

Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 PM

What do you mean by easy ? Fast or pedestrian friendly.
According Google the walk between Porte de Saint Ouen (the closest metro station) and the place where you will be working take 15 minutes.
Saint Ouen or Clichy are only suburb because those places are not officially in Paris city limits but in really both are more like dense inner city districts.
Think Brooklyn in urbanity. So it is pedestrian friendly, the only place where it is quite difficult to walk is near the Périphérique beltway.
It is not impossible to cross but it is not pleasant.

About the taxi, I don't know the fare.
What I can say is that in August, traffic is much lower than the rest of the year.

About the Eiffel Tower, I don't know, I never been here.
I think that if you wait in the queues, the number of ticket is not limited.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM

15 mins. walk from station means that i will be looking at over 1 hour commute each way?

You have been so helpful. Based on my itenary, can u recommend any hotels near to Metro? Marriott/SPG or any other local brands.. (under $175 per night).

Edit: can I get Orange prepaid at CDG airport (For voice and data plan)? I heard that it can be activated right away at any tobacco store, but need to provide proof at their store after some days. So, probably i can still use it with in my week trip.?

Edit2: How is this location for the hotel?
45 Rue Jean Jaures
Puteaux, Hauts-de-Seine 92800 France

Last edited by priceline; 07-29-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM

This location seems to be easy access to my work, but have to pay around 20 bucks for internet, and extra for break fast.. but i have gold status with SPG..

Le Méridien Etoile
81 Boulevard Gouvion Saint-Cyr,75848 Cedex 17Paris,75017France

Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,490,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceline View Post
Don't know french..

Looks like you and the French will be at war.

Any way to get SIM card (on the same day) to use it on unlocked GSM phone for voice and data plan?

Yes, that will work. I've done this. But not in France, though. So I'm not sure if they have monthly plans.
Above.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Edit2: How is this location for the hotel?
45 Rue Jean Jaures
Puteaux, Hauts-de-Seine 92800 France
Not at all convient for commuting to Saint Ouen, there are no direct line.
Quote:
This location seems to be easy access to my work, but have to pay around 20 bucks for internet, and extra for break fast.. but i have gold status with SPG..

Le Méridien Etoile
81 Boulevard Gouvion Saint-Cyr,75848 Cedex 17Paris,75017France
This hotel is better, it provides a better access to Saint Ouen with the RER C.
I just recommand you to watch the timetable to not wait to much for a train.
Saint Ouen RER station is at 5 minutes walk to your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe