Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
You're missing the point, and continuing with this flakey attitude. I would never consider myself to be an ethnic Canadian. I am not a native Canadian. The topic is "What ethnic groups sunburn?" Britain and much of Europe have become immigrant nations, but the native population is still distinct. That's what the original question asks of. Black skinned Britons are obviously not native. This isn't racist, it's reality. I don't know why you are being elusive about the fact of white English or Welsh etc being regarded as distinct from later immigrants. No one has ever said blond or red hair is the most common. You said dark brown is most common, and statistically that is incorrect at least in England.
You are the one missing the point!! The native population is not distinct! British is not an ethnicity!! Britons are not a seperate race from other people they are not all one colour and it doesnt make any difference what their family history is!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 PM

237 posts, read 673,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You are the one missing the point!! The native population is not distinct! British is not an ethnicity!! Britons are not a seperate race from other people they are not all one colour and it doesnt make any difference what their family history is!
Whatever dude, you're a lost cause.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:22 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I dont believe there is no such thing as a 'Celt' in the 21st Century? Besides even in days of yore not all Celts had identical skin colouring - the real answer to this question is all ethnic groups can sunburn but ginger haired pale skinned people (like yourself Mr Saxonwold) OF ANY NATIONALITY will burn the quickest.
This is pretty much it. I wouldn't want to swear to the possibility that the darkest Africans sunburn, but everyone else does. You can see a red undertone to the skin of medium- to light-brown people in the summer, compared to their winter tone.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is pretty much it. I wouldn't want to swear to the possibility that the darkest Africans sunburn, but everyone else does. You can see a red undertone to the skin of medium- to light-brown people in the summer, compared to their winter tone.
My kids are black skinned, I remember my eldest complaining of sunburn when we holidayed in Tenerife.

I used to be married to a Croatian girl and the first time her mother came to visit the UK we went to Brighton one Saturday in August, my mother in-law insisted that as a Croatian her skin would not be bothered by the 'weak English sun', despite my protests she thought it completely un-necessary to put on any kind of suncream. By the time we got home she was the colour of a lobstor and in pain, her shoulders blistered by the following day, it was really quite nasty so I resisted the urge to say 'told you so'

Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
For gods sake for the last time - British IS NOT an ethnicity!!!!!! Its perfectly simple! ! I am British my ancestors are British and I am NOT red headed and I am NOT blond and I DO NOT burn easily and I tan rather well!!!!! So how come you have me down as this type I skin without even knowing me? I am also NOT alone in being British and dark haired! A MAJORITY of Britons are NOT pale skinned redheads or pale skinned blonds so stop claiming that they all are! You can say that ginger people burn easiest but you simply CANNOT claim 'Britons burn the easiest because they have type I skin!' And yes as ginger Spaniard will burn quicker than a 'dark' Briton! Spanish, British, French or German NONE of these are ethnicities!
It only takes common sense to understand what Cloxias has written. It is not of his own, rather based on numerous studies, unlike what you are saying based on your own opinion! In case you were uniformed, you are not the only person who is British or has British ancestors, there are several millions of people in Britain, Australia, North America and elsewhere in the world, who have British ancestors, just in case you didn't know. I have British ancestry although I'm American, see and I'm a red-head but you are dark-haired, so we cannot base it on individuality. That's why proper studies are made to see the over-all representation. You might be type III or IV, no one has said that there are no British who have a "swarthy", only that the highest frequency of people of type I is more common among whites/European of British Isles ancestry. Perhaps you should look it up in the dictionary the term frequency. Nobody has said that British and Irish are a separate race, they are European as other Europeans( e.g. Norwegian, Danish, German, Dutch, French, Polish, etc...). When you read, pay attention to details.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah I don't quite get it myself. The "Spanish" people are not one monolithic block like cloxias makes it out to be, just like British. I mean, hell, Colin Farrel is easily type IV according to cloxias' post and he is all Irish. He's darker than me for crying out loud and I'm the Spaniard (mostly of Celtic/Galician extraction) here with type III skin
Cloxias is right, skin type I which is described as "pale-white skin which always burn and doesn't tan" when exposed to UV rays is commonest among Northern Europeans particularly those of Celtic ancestry. This doesn't mean that all Celts are type I either. It is a fact supported even by the World Health Organization(WHO), that fair-skinned Caucasians particularly those of Celtic descent are at most vulnerable to sunburns and skin cancers. The WHO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health. There are so much evidence backing this up. Yes as whole the Irish are lighter-skinned than Portuguese/Spaniards. Even in your country, it is the regions which received high influx of Celtic invasion like Galicia(Celtic name) which has a higher frequency of pale Spaniards than most of Spain. In France, it is the Bretons(Celtic) which has the highest of French people most vulnerable to skin cancer. To correct you Colin Farrell is type III skin phototype and not IV. Almost 80% of the Irish are of the skin type I and II, so Colin Farrell is not " your average" Irish. There is enough scientific evidence to prove that skin type I is more common among those Celtic ancestry than other European groups.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I am a person of the British Isles - I dont burn easily, I dont have red hair, I dont have pale skin - neither does 90% of the people I know - so its not strictly true what you say is it?
Are you sure of what you are implying? 90% don't burn? It sounds like a lie, unless if the people you know are all non-Whites/Blacks. I know it's strictly that most people of British Isles ancestry are at danger for skin cancer when exposed to dangerous UV light. Firstly White Australians who are in the majority of English and Irish descent have the highest skin cancer on earth! Secondly, here in America in the warmer regions of the south, it is well known fact that people of Scottish/Irish/Welsh have the highest for skin cancers, carcinoma, sunburns. My statements are based on proper research not just some feelings! Nobody said that you were a red-head, you were just confusing things. When someone says that the Scottish have the highest frequency of red-heads that doesn't all Scots are gingers, is that clear enough for you?

The reason why I said it's a lie is supported by this recent article(2010) by the Cancer Research UK shows that that year alone half of the British got sunburnt and that's probably those who want a tan badly.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QA-7qtHZsFNG8g

Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Of course this is true, its just that the percentage of red-headed pale skinned freckled Britons is nowhere near as high as Saxonwold tries to make out, Britain has people of EVERY colour from darkest black skinned to milkiest white but the 'average' is neither, there may well be more red headed Britons than red headed Spaniards but they are still a small minority - even in Ireland. The most 'popular' colouring of a Briton is dark brown hair and pretty medium skin, like I said I am dark haired and tan rather well but funnily enough my sisters hair is perhaps even darker than mine (black) whereas her skin may be slightly more pale - we are both VERY British though with the same ancestors (obviously).
Perhaps you are one of those Brits(50%) who are confused about skin color and think that their skin color is actually darker. This could be dangerous for you when exposing yourself to UV rays especially in the summer, like according to the article below:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ux5T2G0tQyNvsA

This article by the Huffington post(published in August 2013) claims nearly 90% of British have revealed to have suffered from sunburn!!! Then you are claiming that most people you know do not! Think before you write next time!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...driB5L0rSItDfA

Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 PM

In the Study of Skin Pigmentation and Melanoma Risk done with clinical and research perspectives done by the University of Kentucky College of Medecine, Markey Cancer Center (U.S.) shows that those with paler skin, more prone to sunburn, melanoma are from the Northern Europe particularly Celtic, British Isles group. The U.S. is a much more diverse nation than any European country. This is due to the fact Europeans from all over immigrated to the U.S., at some point. however those whose ancestral lands were the U.K. have shown to have as a whole the highest frequency of very light skin which sunburns more readily than others and those whose ancestral land is Africa or Australia(Aborigenes) have the least frequency for melanoma risk. Their pigmentation chart/board is in fact quite similar to Cloxias's.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...zZcaeSXvkPbXiA

Skin Type I is also called Celtic
Type II - Nordic
Type III - Mixed
Type IV - Mediterranean

These 4 types are found within all European or White ethnic groups, however they vary at different frequencies depending on the geographic location and also how much sunlight that region receives yearly. Type V and VI are usually found in people whose ancestral lands lie outside of the European continent, better adapted to the sunnier regions of the world like central Africa or Australia.

Last edited by saxonwold; 02-08-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
So the general consensus is that Scandinavians are actually dark skinned compared to the Brits? Does this mean that people in northern England and Scotland are darker skinned than people in England's south on average?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe