Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 10:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Do not confuse skin types with hair and eye colors, Finland has a higher frequency of light hair and light eyes than France as well as most European countries, but does not have the highest frequency of very light skin types(I & II). the highest frequency for those skin types are found in populations of northwestern and western Europe, in other words where freckled folks are most common.
Yes I know. In fact, severely freckled people are rather rare in Finland, and so is red hair as well. But as the original population which most of the Finns descend from was very small, it's no surprise that Finland has the vast majority of people being in the III skin category and also having a lot of people with grey/green eyes.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
What is with the obsession about Celticness?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes I know. In fact, severely freckled people are rather rare in Finland, and so is red hair as well. But as the original population which most of the Finns descend from was very small, it's no surprise that Finland has the vast majority of people being in the III skin category and also having a lot of people with grey/green eyes.
True, Finland has probably the highest frequency of gray-eyed people in the world!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What is with the obsession about Celticness?
No obsession, just facts.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
The Celts were one of the most widespread of all people in Europe. The Dutch, and especially the Germans have considerable if not majority Celtic blood.
Yes, southern and south-central Netherlands were Celtic-territory(Belgae) before they were fully subdued by Germanic speakers who came from the north( Frisians, Saxons, Frisians, Vikings).

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM

237 posts, read 673,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
you still confuse two things. Being 'celtic' has never been defin as a question of genetics, but by language. We called 'celts' the people that have a culture based on celtic language. Thinking that that 'celt' can refer to the typical physicalbphenotypes of north western Europe is a complete misunderstanding of who were the original celts and from where they were originary. Celts were not originary from the British isles but from central Europe. If there are today still some celtic-speaking pokets in some places of the British isles is because, like most if Europe those places have been culturally 'celticized' in the past, and that because of isolation (being situated in the extreme western parts of the British isles, in often wild and quite mountainous places, those pockets if celtic speakers have resited longer to the germanization (englicization to be more precice)

Genetically welsh, Irish, Scittish or Breton are not especially sharing ancestry from the original celts, nor having special 'celtic' look. If ireland, wales, scotland, but also England have higher percentages of red hair/pale skin than in most places that has nothing to do with celts (who once again are not originary from the Brutish isles) but to local mutations that appeared specifically in those areas of north western Europe, probably long time before celtic languages took root there.
Actually Celts could strongly be associated with haplogroup R1b, which dominates much of western Europe. R1b, an indo-European and possible Bronze age invader, could have eventually formed into the Celtic culture and language.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Yes, western Britanny coast have been settled by immigrants from Cornwall/Wales for excaping Anglo-Saxon invasions of their island, who bring their celtic language to western Britanny (before the arrival of those people the whole of Britanny was already Romance-speaking)

The point is that those populations were Celtic by their language, not by their genes. For exemple they were not especially genetically connected to Ancient Gauls. The oddity is that today when many people think about the ancient Celts, Gauls, etc. they assume that they were similar to the so-called "celtic countries" of the British isles on every point, included common ancestry, and fokloric stuff that is now associated with those "celtic nations" but are actually not at all celtic either such as megalith culture (much older than celtic culture and present in most of Europe and the mediterranean), bagpipe music (once again this kind of music has nothing specifically celtic, but existed in all Europe and mediterranean bassin, north africa, turkey, black sea area (bagpipies originate to middle east), etc.
... It is very likely that Britanny is among the french régions that have recieved the least migration form the original core of Celtic culture... and yet, they think they are genetically celts because they think, like many does, that celticness is originary form the British isles, which is not at all.
For a lot of people in north-america, celtic = Irish and maybe a few other peopel from Britain.
Almost noone is aware that the first speakers of celtic languages were from the Austria/Czech area and that the celtic culture and language ranged as far away as Anatolia. The Brits and Irish were very much peripheral celts and that remoteness allowed the language to survive there.

I find that bagpipe music is western Eurasian type in general. It's very common in traditional music from everywhere west of India and north of the Sahara.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
For a lot of people in north-america, celtic = Irish and maybe a few other peopel from Britain.
Almost noone is aware that the first speakers of celtic languages were from the Austria/Czech area and that the celtic culture and language ranged as far away as Anatolia. The Brits and Irish were very much peripheral celts and that remoteness allowed the language to survive there.

I find that bagpipe music is western Eurasian type in general. It's very common in traditional music from everywhere west of India and north of the Sahara.
I can see that you know nothing of Americans! Modern Celts are traditionally usually people from countries/regions some dialect/language of Celtic survived( Wales, Scotland, Isle of Man, Ireland, Cornwall, Britanny). We all know that Celtic people came about as a distinct people originally from Central and Eastern Europe and migrated westwards into Europe until they reached the British Isles in the very northwest, others were known to go south as far as northern Turkey. By all means, Celts were an essentially European people not Indian/African. The reason why Irish are so equated with Celts, is because they are many Americans who have some Irish ancestry. Whether the British and Irish were referred as peripheral Celts, means they were still Celts, nevertheless. Yes remoteness played a role, for this reason the Irish and Scottish especially have a lower haplotype diversity than continental Europeans, while Iberians have the highest haplotype diversity. Get your facts straight.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You are still suggesting that 'the British' sunburn 'the most' yet I am British and I don't burn particularly easily, my sister is British and neither does she! So you simply cannot say 'the British' sunburn the most! Look out of the 50 or so people that I know in my immediate family (aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces) I can categorically say there are blondes, brunettes, blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes and just about every skin tone you can think of - we are not all ginger, we ARE all very British AND we share the same ancestors. Like EVERY other British family we are a mixed bunch, the perceptions you have are just that, stereotypical perceptions, and to be honest with you I am suprised that in the 21st century people still seem to think this way. What's next? Germans are an aryian master race just because they were born in Germany? The Finns are the most blubberiest because of all that cold weather? The Swiss have the biggest leg muscles because they always walk up mountains!?
At least, you have a sense of humor!

Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Even when you compare Belgium with Sweden. In hair color both Belgians and Swedes have a very low frequency of pure black hair, but the frequency of pure blonde hair among Swedes is 2.5 times that of the Belgians. Also that for light eyes(non-brown) among Swedes is 3.22 times greater than that among Belgians.

In skin phototypes (by Bataille et al 2005)

Belgium
I - 13.2%
II - 20.7%
III - 37.7%
IV - 28.3%

Sweden
I - 2.1%
II - 26.5%
III - 62.7%
IV - 8.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe