Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 PM

47 posts, read 111,761 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity coming this winter to fly out to Europe. The only problem is I want to stay indefinitely but my funds are more "short term"...ha! My question is, is it possible to fly to Europe and live on the cheap with 3k? And how, if possible, would you stretch that money to make it last for 9-12 months etc. getting a job (American citizen--work visa?), where to live, cheapest and safest country to live in Europe? Thanks for the advice up front!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Just a few ideas: get an International Youth Hostel Card. I dont know if the hostels allow long-term stays, but you can move around. Some of them are really nice; located in castles and people's estates that they've donated. Another option is homestays, renting a room in someone's home. I saved money by walking past the edge of town and rolling out my sleeping bag under picnic shelters. For food, you can buy at the co-op grocery stores, which are cheaper than regular ones. About work--I don't know about the other countries, but you can find work in Germany if you have a skill Germans don't have (like English language, or multi-lingual, combined with tech, or something). If you meet someone and they like you, they can make it work, even if they have to bend the rules. But it can be a bit hit-and-miss. You can look for homestays where you offer to baby-sit or clean, or do farm chores for people in exchange for your homestay.

You want cheap AND safe? hmm...Slovenia and Croatia? Spain is probably cheap, but they're in an economic downturn. We'll see what others here say, for cheap and safe.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 AM

272 posts, read 907,305 times
2.000 €......that amounts to nothing.
Illegal subsaharan Africans bring far more money and they are better prepared.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
OP do you have a work visa lined up? If not, you can't work, and you certainly can't stay there indefinitely.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM

47 posts, read 111,761 times
Yes, I am working on the work visa at the moment with possible employer. Just trying to get some options once I obtain the visa.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizarro View Post
2.000 €......that amounts to nothing.
Illegal subsaharan Africans bring far more money and they are better prepared.
I don't know how you travel, but I can travel for a month or two with that amount of money.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM

43 posts, read 87,272 times
Default difficult

there is a difficult situation - work is easy to find in the south of germany - but i dont think that you will get a permission - also in the other european countries it will be difficult.

You should think about shorter travelling - that amont is really not enough.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't know how you travel, but I can travel for a month or two with that amount of money.
Ok. 2k in Euro's for a month in Europe. The only you could pull that off is by camping or staying with relatives and/or friends. There is NO WAY you could do that staying in a motel, even low priced "hostels" with food, travel, etc.

You definately aren't drinking alcohol, eating much meat, and/or even eating much to begin with. You are washing your own clothes in a stream, seeing many of the sites from the outside, and hitchhiking alot. A Eurorail pass for a month would take half of the 2K alone.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Two thousand euro? There is no way to live 9 - 12 months from it. Even very, very frugal... And work? You mean getting paid under the table?
Except you have work lined up, and rare skills I don't think you can make it work.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ok. 2k in Euro's for a month in Europe. The only you could pull that off is by camping or staying with relatives and/or friends. There is NO WAY you could do that staying in a motel, even low priced "hostels" with food, travel, etc.

You definately aren't drinking alcohol, eating much meat, and/or even eating much to begin with. You are washing your own clothes in a stream, seeing many of the sites from the outside, and hitchhiking alot. A Eurorail pass for a month would take half of the 2K alone.

Sorry, I don't buy it.
I live in Europe now and traveled for almost a month through the Baltic States and Scandinavian countries for no more than 1,000 euro. I own my own van but ate, did my laundry, camped, etc.
Then again, I travel that way all the time.
I don't drink alcohol and am vegetarian and self-cater a lot.

I don't need very much to travel at all.
I've seen all of the great museums in Europe and this weekend will be driving to either Croatia, Venice or Florence.

The less I spend, the more I can travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe