Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
The Beatles sang with an American accent - they definitely didn't speak with one. I don't know whether you've ever heard a Souse accent but trust me - it doesn't by any stretch of one's imagination sound like an American accent at all.
I found the stronger ones difficult to understand. Have little trouble with most British accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,436,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why does religion have to be brought into everything?
I'm getting increasingly fed up with this, I hear it everywhere and I come on an international forum to get away from it and it gets mentioned on here.
Read some History, Sociology and Anthropology. You might find your answer there.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 AM

190 posts, read 572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I don't think you can compare the two. America as developed to have it's own cultural identity.
But i'll say England is more similar with so much of the culture being influenced by America. The fast food chains, chicken shops at every corner, rap music being popular, Americans programmes being popular and more.

I think now the UK especially the urban areas like London being influence by american 'pop' culture ut that can be said about most western countries like Australia, NZ etc...

I think Ireland is a bit more old fashioned and keep to the their roots more. Even rural areas in The uk is less american. Maybe your'll find patches of english influence patches of Irish influenced but same can be said about france, italy etc...
America is NOT just influenced by ireland and england but a whole lot of countries and religions.

All that crap you call American can be find in every western European country. Rural areas are also Americanized, they might hear older American music, etc.

But id you strip England from all that, just like it was 50 years ago....England does not have anything to do with the US, even less their language, food, social manners, nothing.

Fisch and chips are English.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,905,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I wonder if there's more Muslims than Christians in England now.
Nowhere near it thankfully.

Everybody thinks that England is majority foreign but its still 87% white.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montpensier View Post
All that crap you call American can be find in every western European country. Rural areas are also Americanized, they might hear older American music, etc.

But id you strip England from all that, just like it was 50 years ago....England does not have anything to do with the US, even less their language, food, social manners, nothing.

I know Fish and chips is English. Also your trying to say that you will hear American country music in a small welsh village or in the Yorkshire dales or in rural Italy I think NOT!!
Maybe your'll see American coffee shop but that's it. Has I said only Urban areas you will see i noticeable American influence from fast food chains, rap music... And many European countries don't take interest in American music but only in the fast food and the Tv programming.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,744,887 times
What are you talking about? The whole world basically takes interest in American music, so that includes continental Europe.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM

599 posts, read 2,596,517 times
Quote:

The UK and Ireland are the the closest thing you can get to the US anywhere in europe. ALthough far from identically its still way closer than anywhere in continental europe/scandinavia, and I'm not only talking merely about the language, but people's behavior, culture and even the people's physical appearance, not identically but much closer than any other country.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
What are you talking about? The whole world basically takes interest in American music, so that includes continental Europe.
I really doubt the WHOLE WORLD takes interest in American music. And I said rural areas not urban areas, i doubt you will hear old american music in a small hide away french village.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 AM

190 posts, read 572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I know Fish and chips is English. Also your trying to say that you will hear American country music in a small welsh village or in the Yorkshire dales or in rural Italy I think NOT!!
Maybe your'll see American coffee shop but that's it. Has I said only Urban areas you will see i noticeable American influence from fast food chains, rap music... And many European countries don't take interest in American music but only in the fast food and the Tv programming.

In my town, Sitges, in Catalonia, Spain, we have a Country Music Festival. Our local radio station, Radio Maricel, has a space alloted to Country Music directed by an English man. Most Americans living here hate Country Music.

Country Music holds similarities to traditional "Celtic" music played in "Celtic Nations", Britain (France), Galicia (Spain), Ireland and Wales. In fact, all this "Celtic" stuff is romantic poppycock. Country music is European folk music, only played in isolated regions in Western Europe, except we have no banjos, a Cuban instrument.

Most of the music here is American POP music, etc, notwitstanding the fact that the interpreters are Spanish or European. People here do not hear Spanish music because it reminds us the past, only tourists and Andalusians.

You obviously have never been out of the US.

Last edited by Montpensier; 12-10-2012 at 04:08 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
In my town, Sitges, in Catalonia, Spain, we have a Country Music Festival. Our local radio station, Radio Maricel, has a space alloted to Country Music directed by an English man. Most Americans living here hate Country Music.

Country Music holds similarities to traditional "Celtic" music played in "Celtic Nations", Britain (France), Galicia (Spain), Ireland and Wales. In fact, all this "Celtic" stuff is romantic poppycock. Country music is European folk music, only played in isolated regions in Western Europe, except we have no banjos, a Cuban instrument.

Most of the music here is American POP music, etc, notwitstanding the fact that the interpreters are Spanish or European. People here do not hear Spanish music because it reminds us the past, only tourists and Andalusians.

You obviously have never been out of the US.
I'm not American Why do you think i'm called P London?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe