Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
No people are not clones and there is variance but you can tell people come from certain areas like the British Isles for example or from Greece. The example above of Margaret Thatcher she does look more English than Italian or Greek. There is variance but you can pick where certain people are more likely to come from. If you have lived in a country for generations you will have genetic similarities with other people of your nationality. After all a nationality is like an extended family and they can tell by looking at someone's dna where they are likely to be from. Certain ethnicities are prone to certain diseases for example.

It is only in the last 50-60 years that Britain has had large scale immigration. People that came to countries previously were generally small in number and quickly absorbed into the population. Also people previously that came to Britain were much more similar genetically as they came from neighbouring countries.

It is only recently that people from across the globe have been immigrating to countries and they are easy to distinguish from the people that have been there for generations both by looks and at the genetic level. People in countries do fall within a certain range of looks.
yeah...not sure what he is on about..the British do have a look, obviously within that look there are variances, but there are certain British features that are unmistakable.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Though I agree that Britains dont necessarily look 'Southern European' to say that there is no Italians that can 'look British' is absolute rubbish! Why are people trying to suggest that Europeans are all different looking!!!!!!! AAARGH!! For everybodies information 'Europeans' are an extremely mixed bunch in all European countries - especially Britain - Britains ARE NOT all pasty red heads neither are they all olive skinned brown eyed however there are MANY Britains that are! Britains can look German, French, Spanish, Norwegian, Italian Incidently there are millions of Britains that arent even white, Britains can also look African, Asian, American, Australian - why cant people understand THERE IS NO BRITISH LOOK!!

I understand what you mean. Nevertheless you miss point completely, firstly this debate does not concern non-European/non-White immgrants(African, Asians, etc...). Secondly the debate is based on "why so many British Isles people look Southern European?", and various people expressed their
opinions. I don't deny ultimately all Europeans are more genetically more similar than they would to
a non-Europeans. However, as within any population in the world, there are typical looks, in Europe
we have Northern European and Southern European, but also Western and Eastern European looks.
This doesn't mean a Northern European cannot look like a Southern European and vice versa on
on individual basis. However there was exaggeration whereas some were potraying that "all British
Islanders"(White ones) were all Southern Europeans which is not true by any means. The British Islanders are more similar to their immediate neighbors than they would Southern Europeans. Just as
Italians would be more similar to their immediate neighbors than they would a Northern European.
Yes there are Italians might look Belgian/British/Danish or vice-versa, just as a German might look
like a Russian,etc... However to say that British Islanders are Southern Europeans or that Spaniards
are Northern Europeans is an illusion. Tilda Swinton has a typical British look, just like Jacques Chirac,
Giscard D'estaing have typical French look, this doesn't mean that all people in those nations are like
them either. Putin is so typically a Russian or at least an Eastern European! There Africans, Asians all over Europe now, so the British Isles are not exempt in that respect either. In Africa as well an Ethiopian is not exactly the same as a Nigerian/Togolese, they are different despite the fact that they are still
Black/Africans.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 AM

370 posts, read 950,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Do you what you're talking about? British and Irish are well among the palest or whitest Europeans! In that the Irish are even paler than the British average, this has been seen in studies involving people
most likely to have skin cancer. At least 75% of the Irish are skin type I and II, this is high even on a
Scandinavian level. The Irish in terms of skin In the early days of the U.S., most people were of White Anglo-Saxon Protestant descent. Therefore carried their old traditions of hatred towards the Irish from Britain to America. For your information, the Irish were fighting the English later the British for political freedom for many years.
Most Irish were Catholics, so WASP's hatred of Catholics drove them put the Irish or any European who weren't like by them in a so-called "non-White" class. This had nothing to do with skin color, since Finns
from Finland, Germans, Russians, Hungarians at one time were also put down as the Irish who came before them in America. All these people are obviously paler than Spaniards. You would rarely find Spaniard even in northern Spain as pale as Saoirse Ronan, Sheamus O'Shaunessy or even like Cillian
Murphy and all of these people are Irish. I'm quite familiar with Spaniards, you are not as pale as the British Isles people, you're more Italians and your neighbors the Portuguese. The GWAS finds the Irish to be over-all considerably lighter-skinned than Poles, Portuguese and Italians. I'm not implying that there are no pale Spaniards/Italians either, but the frequency would be even lower than France/Poland.
The Beatles may be dark-haired, but not like Spaniards/Portuguese, are you all there?

You have never set foot in "Yurop" and you keep writing B.S extracted from Stormfront!!! People like you give a very bad name to Americans. You should talk about your remote town in the American steppes and forget about the world beyond Poke county!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
yeah...not sure what he is on about..the British do have a look, obviously within that look there are variances, but there are certain British features that are unmistakable.
Pray tell what these 'British features' are, I am genuinly interested!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Margaret Thatcher has (well had ) a British look just like Angela Merkel looks typically East German.
Do you honestly believe everybody in Britain looks like Margaret Thatcher!! Find a picture of Kelly Brook (British) and find a picture of Margaret Thatcher (British), put them side by side and tell me exactly what 'British look' they share?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

"Don Caballero" alway seem to confude "British" with "Irish"... Ireland might the only country where there can be a significant stronger presence of darker hair (and only hair since Ireland has among the higher percentages of light skin and eyes). In the UK (where British are from), only Wales (about 3 million people on a total of about 60 million) has higher percentages, but still far from countries like Spain...). England, which consist 85% of British people is not showing much differences with the rest of Germanic countries of northern Europe.
Correct as we clearly see on the map, as we go north in Europe, individuals with a pale skin/ light hair/ light eyes become more numerous and individuals who combine all those three traits are even more frequent, no surprising due to the climate the Northern European ancestors had to endure for thousands
of years. This natural process of depigmentation, brought two "extreme forms", one which is people with a fair skin, blue eyes and light blond hair who are centered in Norway, Sweden andDenmark. The other is people with an even fairer skin or freckled, green eyes and red hair who are centered in Ireland and Scotland. Nevertheless, the majority of people in those nations are usually darker hair than "extremes". Those traits are recessive, this is why among adults, you would see for example Norwegians with dark blond/light brown hair or Irishmen with medium/dark brown hair. Neither are those recessive traits only restricted to those areas, many other Europeans, specifically Northern
Europeans have those "extreme" traits too.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 AM

370 posts, read 950,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post

Not physical features at all. For example, their features are pints, fish and chips, scot pies, darts, english breakfasts, cracked sat tv, mango chutney, etc.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
You have never set foot in "Yurop" and you keep writing B.S extracted from Stormfront!!! People like you give a very bad name to Americans. You should talk about your remote town in the American steppes and forget about the world beyond Poke county!!!
People like you give a bad name to whatever hole you came out of! You have such a low IQ, can't even spell
Europe? You need to be re-educated and taught good manners! You have no intellectual approach to a debate. I have lived in Europe, my own parents were born in Europe. It would best for you to not write
anything since you're exhibiting a childish behavior. I'm proud to be an American, too bad if you don't
like it. As the French say, "casse toi petit con et vas te faire voir chez ailleurs"! It's nobody's fault that
you are unknowledgeable and an irrational thinker. I'm not a Stormfront fan, because I do not align
myself with racist people. Please once again, think before you write, it will really help you.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I dont usually read these threads, as they dont interest me.. hair colour , eye colour, SKIN colour always seem predominant in some peoples minds, but I laughed that many of us in the UK look like Mr Bean...... heavens preserve us if we do

Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I dont usually read these threads, as they dont interest me.. hair colour , eye colour, SKIN colour always seem predominant in some peoples minds, but I laughed that many of us in the UK look like Mr Bean...... heavens preserve us if we do
Well to give him his due he has a lovely looking daughter. Personally looks are just skin deep. Rowan Atkinson's looks have helped him in his career so his unique looks have been an advantage along with his talent. To be honest though I can't say he's the best specimen for British looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe