Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
How can you be qualified to retire to Europe without any EU permanent residence?
Some countries, like France, have a retirement visa or a visa for people who have an income that will not require them to live off the state. Here is one article on Retire in Ecuador and Let Your Money Take You Further. to France

Your Retirement in France Will Be Unlike Retiring Anywhere Else

If you are wondering where to spend your retirement years, then you should definitely be considering a retirement in France. For the retiree, France offers a great quality of life along with all the modern comforts you enjoy at home.

While France does not have a special incentive visa for retirees, the process of retiring in France is quite simple. You apply for a long-term visa at the nearest French consulate in your home country, after which you obtain a carte de séjour visiteur. To prove you have the financial means, statements from your pension plan should be enough to satisfy the authorities. Be sure that your health plan covers you in France, or obtain a suitable French plan. We still recommend a three-month trial in France to find your home base and to network with other retirees. Because Paris is the most expensive place to live in France, you may want to consider retiring in the French countryside, where real estate, rents, and the cost of living are cheaper.

The Paperwork Necessary for Retiring in France

Generally, it isn’t difficult for North Americans to gain long-term residency and retire in France, but you should check out your particular situation before making plans. Plenty of documentation will be needed, and current requirements are as follows:

* A passport, signed and valid for three months after the last day of stay
* Eight separate application forms, signed and legibly filled out
* Eight passport-size photos per individual glued to the forms
* Non-U.S./Canadian citizens will also need evidence of current legal residency status
* One long-term application annex, which must be completed, dated, signed, and notarized

Please check with the French consulate nearest you for complete instructions.

For Germany, where many retired US MIlitary live
A guide to retiring in Germany < Getting Started | Expatica Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,687,950 times
Don't know why the retire to Ecuador showed up

Retire in France | Retiring in France | French Retirement

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM

42 posts, read 123,272 times
Azores. I do not know more beautiful place in the world!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:00 AM

217 posts, read 325,872 times
Greece for obvious reasons. Lots of family and friends there, plus it's a summer paradise.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Actually, if it weren't for my health issues, I'd love to live in Ulan Ude, Buryatia (Russ Federation), which isn't a European city, unless you count Russia on the whole as European. Otherwise, maybe St. Petersburg.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Sweden.
Did you know that Switzerland is a huge tax haven for retired Swedes? Very low taxes, and apparently they don't owe taxes to Sweden on any income if their residence is in Switzerland. I just stumbled across that info when I was exploring issues relating to living in Switzerland.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 AM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
France, Germany, Austria, Poland and Italy as examples.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:08 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Spain, Italy and Portugal but i won't retire before the 2040's maybe even 2050's

Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times
I wouldnt retire in Europe.... Europe is too expensive, Europe is good when you're young so that you can make use all the liberties this society has....

I would retire in costa rica, or some tropical country somewhere

Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
Gosh, its such a huge area. Luckily my dh and I can live anywhere in Europe or America. I was just thinking if we could do every 3 months in a different eurpoean country for a while, but that may get too pricey. I would love to keep a residence here in the states to come back and forth to as our kids may end up here.

Some small english or scottish village sounds really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe