Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 AM

326 posts, read 674,984 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth I was once "verbally attacked" in a Texas bar for being from Germany. That was right around the end of W's first term. Never had any problems before or after on my many trips to the States, though so I didn't and won't lose any sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
For what it's worth I was once "verbally attacked" in a Texas bar for being from Germany. That was right around the end of W's first term. Never had any problems before or after on my many trips to the States, though so I didn't and won't lose any sleep over it.
That's crazy. More than most other things, Texas's roots are VERY Germanic.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Rubbish. Print media has newspapers representing parties across the political spectrum. The TV news channels are unbiased, there is nothing like the bizarre Fox News.
Don't you mean nothing like the bizarre as MSNBC?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
Well the bar perhaps says it all. Verbally attacked in a bar is pretty common around so much drinking. Not much different around the world.Why Bush by the way;you feel americans then should have been attcked?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,731,457 times
I've heard of Americans claiming they were Canadian while abroad, but I never saw it first hand. I can't understand why anyone would do that. I'm half jewish American and I never denied it while living in a Muslim country during the Bush years. If people weren't going to like me based on something I had no control over, then that was there problem. **** 'em.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM

75 posts, read 130,673 times
The only tough time I had was with Pres Bush the elder. I was in Ireland, just two weeks after they refused to let our planes refuel there for the Gulf War. ( I hope we stopped any Aid – anyway )

I have been in Europe through many presidents, the BEST time to be an American was when Pres Reagan was Pres.

So what do I do when I encounter the Europeans ( Pres Bush or whatever )
Like when I am here in the states. See the expression on their face during the question, I can act well. Change my stance for the occasion.
**** Remember, they ( europeans ) – like the Canadians – only get news from CNN, one sided.

The only reason the Left hates FOX, they ( the Left ) just hates Facts that might make the folks on the left look bad, but when the facts are bashing the Right they feel glee.
it's a religion, of praise. I don't understand it, realist I am, not a blamer nor wanting, something I don't deserve.

Like I Just hate when I HAVE to go to the Liberal cesspool, NYC.
I SAY NOTHING, just NOD, like a Liberal. ( Well wait a minute, a Liberal would ‘Name Call’, why is that? when confronted with Facts, they name call, anyone? ( Can one of my good Liberal freinds answer that?)

But in Europe? not too bad, I have been there over 30 times in the past 34 years.

Believe it or not, it is Jealousy. Everyone wants to come to the USA.
As much as you all hate to hear, yes, if you come to America WORK hard, you can become rich. But hey soon, we will all be equal, and no one will be rich, and your boss will not be able to pay your wage, but it will be good, right?

It's the Dream stupid, you stupid Liberals are destroying. Thank goodness, I am OLD.

Enjoy your future you are cheering for, younglings.

Mod, sry if I drifted, you are more than welcome to delete anything I posted, no worries.

Last edited by NJ_Jim; 02-18-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post

Stefan, I am sure you never traveled to southern France, right?

I have been there many times and they ( Southern French ) don't care for German men. I heard from them, and they always say why do the German men come here and break everything?

The expression " u*ken Germans" was said over and over again from the owners of restaurants. They ( the owners just loved us ( the folks from the USA ) we had gleam in our eyes and were grateful to be there)

hey Stefan, I chipped at the wall, did you? I Drove into East Germany ( DDR ) met a bunch of older guys ( at an old man bar, if you ever travel make sure you attend one, you will learn what you need from them) , very cool to meet older folks, anyway when I said: " Hey you are excited you are about to get 'Freedom'"

They said something very insightful , one man said . "The Russians are like a snake, a Snake sheds it's skin, but it's intentions are the same". One other thing they said is: "the West Germans will come here, buy up our homes and claim it as theirs".

It happened, and the East Germans to this day, are still considered as 2nd class citizens.

Vie are Protesting, were the banners I did see in May 1990, just 6 months later.\
· I forget the German for the word " Protesting, sry " but you get the gist.

Mod, you are welcome to delete anything I post ( no worries ) . Sry to drift off topic.
History, is notable, but not asked for on this post.

* Addition:

When I was in the DDR, I wrote this:

" The Price of Freedom, is very Expensive"

Last edited by NJ_Jim; 02-19-2013 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: Sry, second time I put out, instead of 'Our" typo

Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 PM

55 posts, read 197,906 times
I believe Bush was a great president and he allowed his image to be assinated by the ignorant media and ignorant public here and abroad (no fault of thier own). He had so many secret agendas that never could be disclosed even today infear of security breaches. As a Viet Nam era category 3 medic now in civilian life I CAN disclose a few nuggets to shut you up ...nah. Firstly Saddam Hussein and the boys had tons of WMD (all flown out in commerical airlines for months to Syria primarily) He had stockpiles of enriched uranium in addition to 500 tons of yellowcake which we actually clandestinely dug up and sent to Canada for their nuke plants. Bush still has many keys to the direction this country is heading but is gagged and sworn to secrecy. He is the scape goat to a level beyond your comprehension. This man was a hero andonly a few of have the keys to why . It will all surface in time . I confess I don't know the outcome but it will shake this country to its knees. Listen to me I beg you pay attention ,stay prepared in every way and don't presume so much about Mr Bush. God Bless America!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 PM

Yeshurarigns.

Thank you for serving our country.

I remember 1968 very well and was ( at the age of 7) sickened to see the treatment of our brave men/women arriving home.

That and the spray paint on the walls:

" Crash the Democratic Convention"

Made me upset with the Democrats. I was 7 !! can you imangine? I said, " why are they so angry" Now we have them in the WH. ( that feeling ) that explains, a lot. Like when I was a Boy Scout " Be Prepared"

SERIOUSLY, thank you for serving. My dad served in Vietnam, so I know the 'saddness'

Thank you, Thank you
Endless, thanks

Last edited by NJ_Jim; 02-19-2013 at 12:13 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM

233 posts, read 450,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
The only tough time I had was with Pres Bush the elder. I was in Ireland, just two weeks after they refused to let our planes refuel there for the Gulf War. ( I hope we stopped any Aid – anyway )

I have been in Europe through many presidents, the BEST time to be an American was when Pres Reagan was Pres.

So what do I do when I encounter the Europeans ( Pres Bush or whatever )
Like when I am here in the states. See the expression on their face during the question, I can act well. Change my stance for the occasion.
**** Remember, they ( europeans ) – like the Canadians – only get news from CNN, one sided.

The only reason the Left hates FOX, they ( the Left ) just hates Facts that might make the folks on the left look bad, but when the facts are bashing the Right they feel glee.
it's a religion, of praise. I don't understand it, realist I am, not a blamer nor wanting, something I don't deserve.

Like I Just hate when I HAVE to go to the Liberal cesspool, NYC.
I SAY NOTHING, just NOD, like a Liberal. ( Well wait a minute, a Liberal would ‘Name Call’, why is that? when confronted with Facts, they name call, anyone? ( Can one of my good Liberal freinds answer that?)

But in Europe? not too bad, I have been there over 30 times in the past 34 years.

Believe it or not, it is Jealousy. Everyone wants to come to the USA.
As much as you all hate to hear, yes, if you come to America WORK hard, you can become rich. But hey soon, we will all be equal, and no one will be rich, and your boss will not be able to pay your wage, but it will be good, right?

It's the Dream stupid, you stupid Liberals are destroying. Thank goodness, I am OLD.

Enjoy your future you are cheering for, younglings.

Mod, sry if I drifted, you are more than welcome to delete anything I posted, no worries.

You are assuming that all Europeans are left wing liberal creepos when in fact that's not the case. Left wing liberal creepos in Europe are as pathetic and bothersome as Jesus freaks, Scientologists or Bible Belters in the US. They are generally poor peasants that suffer the most from globalization and they are harmless, they only want free soups from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe