Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Nothing,of course, last forever but in this case Fox has been at the top since at least 2000 and by a very wide margin. How do you explain that? Of course we are talking about cable TV but like I said, out side of the US our major broadcasting systems areseen less than cable.
To be honest, not many people outside of the US watch US news anyway. We have our own news shows. The only reason so many people are aware of Fox News is because they say such ridiculous things - particularly about other countries - which some people find amusing and others insulting. Keep in mind that in most countries, a news show is something extremely serious and formal so they don't quite know how to put Fox News in context. Fox News has done tons of inaccurate reports on the Netherlands saying the most outrageous and offensive things (see this, or this, or this) and these clips reach us eventually. For many people, this is the only impression they get of US news media and that's a major reason for the stereotype of Americans being brainwashed and uninformed about other countries.

Last edited by LindavG; 03-07-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
To be honest, not many people outside of the US watch US news anyway. We have our own news shows. The only reason so many people are aware of Fox News is because they say such ridiculous things - particularly about other countries - which some people find amusing and others insulting. Keep in mind that in most countries, a news show is something extremely serious and formal so they don't quite know how to put Fox News in context. Fox News has done tons of inaccurate reports on the Netherlands saying the most outrageous and offensive things (see
this, or
this, or
this) and these clips reach us eventually. For many people, this is the only impression they get of US news media and that's a major reason for the stereotype of Americans being brainwashed and uninformed about other countries.
We have FOX affiliates which show mostly sitcoms, but we don't have FOX News. EVERYONE heard about this, though. It was a real slap in the face. To denigrate the Canadian military on the same day we're bringing dead soldiers home who fought to help the USA was beneath contempt.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay called the segment "crass" and "disgusting" and demanded an unqualified apology.
"They should simply retract these remarks and apologize to the families, most particularly to the memory of these soldiers and to Canadians more broadly," he told CTV News today.
The five-minute segment, which aired on the Fox News late-night program and was later posted on YouTube.com, features American panelists suggesting Canadian soldiers need time off for "manicures and pedicures."
"The Canadian military wants to take a breather to do some yoga, paint landscapes, run on the beach in gorgeous white capri pants," Gutfeld said with a sneer.
Another panelist Doug Benson said he was unaware Canadian troops were on the ground in Afghanistan.
Ottawa-based Conservative commentator Geoff Norquay called the segment "insulting and beneath contempt."
"In a week when we lost four more brave soldiers, Canada deserves better from this so-called news network," he said. "I really wish I subscribed to Fox News so I could cancel it."
Steve Staples, director of the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute, called it a "shameful display" to laugh it up at the expense of families who have lost loved ones.
"The dismissal of Canadian efforts in Afghanistan simply rubs salt in the wounds of Canadian families whose sons and daughters have been injured or killed in the war."
The bodies of the four fallen Canadian soldiers are being brought home to Canada today, three days after their deaths in two separate bomb arracks in Afghanistan. Flag-draped caskets of Master Cpl. Scott Vernelli, 28, Cpl. Tyler Crooks, 24, Trooper Jack Bouthillier, 20, and Trooper Corey Joseph Hayes, 22, will arrive at CFB Trenton for a repatriation ceremony.

Fox News show host says he was 'misunderstood' | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
This is a false rumor and myth thought to have been started by Canadians. Americans do not pose as Canadians abroad, there's no evidence to support it.
I've met Americans in Europe who had Canadian flags stitched to their backpacks. But Invincible is probably right; probably no one does it anymore. It was pre-Obama that I saw that. I think it was something that started during the Reagan era. Funny how Republican presidents seem to have that effect on their citizenry.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

I have no idea and could care less.
The original poster's queston was a good one, so why do you comment if you can't contribute and don't care???

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 AM

112 posts, read 353,846 times
Both America and France have superiority complex.
/thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
You are confusing me with another poster! I never had anything to say about someone eating in a restaurant.
Oh, my, I'm so sorry.
Yes, I did.
My sincere apologies.

I just got back to this thread.
Again, I'm sorry.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
This is a false rumor and myth thought to have been started by Canadians. Americans do not pose as Canadians abroad, there's no evidence to support it.
Yes, they do.
My 25 year old backpack finally died.
It had a canadian flag on it.

I don't want to talk about politics when I travel.
Many other people are the same.

I saw it a lot more during the Bush years.

Quote:
It was a Bush era false rumor and myth. There's no evidence to support it.
Wrong.
Especially in SE Asia.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
To be honest, not many people outside of the US watch US news anyway. We have our own news shows. The only reason so many people are aware of Fox News is because they say such ridiculous things - particularly about other countries - which some people find amusing and others insulting. Keep in mind that in most countries, a news show is something extremely serious and formal so they don't quite know how to put Fox News in context. Fox News has done tons of inaccurate reports on the Netherlands saying the most outrageous and offensive things (see
<snipped videos>
and these clips reach us eventually. For many people, this is the only impression they get of US news media and that's a major reason for the stereotype of Americans being brainwashed and uninformed about other countries.
And Fox was banned the UK and Canada.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-08-2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The original poster's queston was a good one, so why do you comment if you can't contribute and don't care???
He does care - at least a bit because as he said 'he COULD care less' :-)

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
He does care - at least a bit because as he said 'he COULD care less' :-)
Owen has issues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe