Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,565 times

Advertisements

It's very funny to see some obvious "non-Austrian" or "non-Swiss" person speaking with a heavy Austro-Bavarian or Alemannic accent.

I've once visited a (German-born) friend of mine who now happens to live in Austria and some of his local friends there were of several African and East Asian backgrounds. They all spoke with a Tyrolean accent which is mostly associated with "mountains", "Lederhosen" or "alpine rednecks" in most of Germany. tzz, stereotypes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I did not intend to ask which Europeans sound strange speaking English. I intended to ask which Europeans sound strange speaking their native language to other speakers of that language (Example: Which Dutch accent sounds strange to other Dutch speakers).
The accent in the "Dutch" family which is most widely regarded as being funny is not from the Netherlands at all but the Flemish accent from Flanders in Belgium.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM

In France, you have to go to the opposite ends of the country to find the accents people tend to talk about.

The north:

Bienvenue chez les Ch`tis (Welcome to the Sticks) trailer - YouTube

And the south:

Jean de Florette (1986) Trailer - YouTube

Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,802,696 times
You can tell that English skills have improved over the decades in some European nations by listening to the accents of singers from musical groups over the years.

Compare:

(Benny/ABBA) Hep Stars - Wedding (rare live 1966) - YouTube

with

The Cardigans - You're The Storm (Live "At Sen Kvaell Med Luuk" 2003) - YouTube

Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
You can tell that English skills have improved over the decades in some European nations by listening to the accents of singers from musical groups over the years.

Compare:

(Benny/ABBA) Hep Stars - Wedding (rare live 1966) - YouTube

with

The Cardigans - You're The Storm (Live "At Sen Kvaell Med Luuk" 2003) - YouTube
I listen to dance music mostly produced in Europe. The English skills are pretty good and many times it's hard to pick out an accent. What you will notice are certain peculiar grammar issues. One song the woman singing the chorus is American but the artist is Swiss. One line should have been written "what am I gonna do without you?" Or "What will I do without you". What was written and sung was "What I'm gonna do without you". Makes it sound more like a threat but that wasn't the intended context.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The accent in the "Dutch" family which is most widely regarded as being funny is not from the Netherlands at all but the Flemish accent from Flanders in Belgium.
It's considered funny when you live in The Netherlands .

In Flanders, there're like a gazillion different dialects. I live in Ghent, and when somebody from Alost, hardly 30 kilometers away, starts talking his dialect, I don't understand ten words of it.
But most Flemish people, including myself, speak Tussentaal (literally: "in-between-language"), which is a form of Dutch in between local dialects and standard Dutch (which we only use in more formal situations).

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times
Polish people from the south (silesia) have different accent to the rest of Poland and sometimes its hard to understand, and its heavily influenced by German which makes it even worse lol

Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
It's considered funny when you live in The Netherlands .

In Flanders, there're like a gazillion different dialects. I live in Ghent, and when somebody from Alost, hardly 30 kilometers away, starts talking his dialect, I don't understand ten words of it.
But most Flemish people, including myself, speak Tussentaal (literally: "in-between-language"), which is a form of Dutch in between local dialects and standard Dutch (which we only use in more formal situations).
Sorry. Didn't mean to say that it was actually funny. You're right - it's only that people in NL *think* that way.

(If you knew where I was from, you'd understand that I too am aware of what it means to be referred to as having a funny accent. )

Old 04-16-2013, 12:48 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I've started to notice some of the younger ones sounding American. Must be all the US tv programs they have on these days.
No, we listen to american programmes here and we don't have american accents. It is the actual local language, some accents just sound like that, for example, its the same in the middle east.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
I did not intend to ask which Europeans sound strange speaking English. I intended to ask which Europeans sound strange speaking their native language to other speakers of that language (Example: Which Dutch accent sounds strange to other Dutch speakers).
Oh ok I understand.

Well in the english that would be these:

* Southern Ireland - cannot speak english properly. It is not tree it is three and it is not haitch it is aitch.
* Liverpool and Manchester.
* Some of those southern London accents - boke. Get a reality check.
* Yorkshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe