Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I think Europeans stereotype Texas along the lines offered by older literature and mass culture, cowboys, saloons, wild west frontier, open spaces, rugged individuals, sheriffs, gun fights and long extinct Bonanza things of that nature. I have an impression that Texans try to forge identity claims that fit those ancient mass culture stereotypes. An average American life is very codified and restricted, people seek an imagination escape, and for Texans it is easier, since Hollywood did all the imagining for them.
As the chicken farmer said in Napoleon Dynamite: "Boy, I don't understand a word you just said."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXgtJP1IPs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM

81 posts, read 95,791 times
I think a lot of Europeans do not have enough information about Texas.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As the chicken farmer said in Napoleon Dynamite: "Boy, I don't understand a word you just said."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWXgtJP1IPs
There could be two reasons for that, and I bet it is the one you wouldnt like to hear. That tough talking farmer needs to comply on the multiple levels to have a market for his chickens. So tough talk to the kids is his way to hold on to an illusion.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
There could be two reasons for that, and I bet it is the one you wouldnt like to hear. That tough talking farmer needs to comply on the multiple levels to have a market for his chickens. So tough talk to the kids is his way to hold on to an illusion.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...12/otay1mx.jpg

Old 03-11-2015, 08:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Here, it's mostly known for cowboys and the Wild Wild West. I don't think it has a bad reputation. The US is seen as a very religious country overall, not just Texas.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Here, it's mostly known for cowboys and the Wild Wild West. I don't think it has a bad reputation. The US is seen as a very religious country overall, not just Texas.
Interesting.

The thing that always strikes me as funny is that people the world over, including other regions of the US, associate the Wild West concept with Texas. Actually the eastern half of Texas is much more heavily populated than the western, more desert-like half. The eastern half is often hilly, usually very green (even in the summertime), with lots of lakes, rivers, trees, pastures, fields, etc. It doesn't look at all like the "wild West" movies.

I can't blame people for thinking this - before I moved to Texas, I had a lot of misconceptions about the state too. East Texas is surprisingly green and we actually get more rainfall annually than much of Northern Europe!

We do have some cowboys - the real thing, too. But most Texans live in urban or suburban areas.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:48 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,576,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post

People and society
People are super friendly at your face, however it's extremely superficial and fake. Some people prefer that, I personally enjoy more NY/Boston approach where if somebody is smiling, you know it's genuine.

Society is very socially conservative and religious. Yes, I know central Austin or Houston, but those are tiny pockets. Travel in any direction for 30 minutes and you will be surrounded by streets lined by churches and social opinions ranging from mildly disturbing for 21st century to straight christian Taliban. You know, Lamar Smith or Rick Perry didn't get re-elected by accident.
That's why I prefer NyC, Boston or coastal PNW rather than Texas.
It couldn't be good to live near the Mexican border as well, because overall crime rates remain staggeringly high there.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
That's why I prefer NyC, Boston or coastal PNW rather than Texas.
It couldn't be good to live near the Mexican border as well, because overall crime rates remain staggeringly high there.
LOL I live in Texas and the Mexican border is about an eleven hour drive from here. We don't have any "border drama."

And to clarify - people in Texas are about as far from "fake friendly" as you can get. You would be hard pressed to find more genuine, up front people. Of course there are exceptions but I'm speaking generally. In fact, they can be quite blunt. They're helpful - unless they realize that you're not willing to help yourself. They expect people to carry their own weight. Men still open doors for women, and women still appreciate it.

Just to give you some perspective.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

58 posts, read 56,449 times
A Mexican region invaded by Americans received as guests?

Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM

338 posts, read 335,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espinaler View Post
A Mexican region invaded by Americans received as guests?
That's quite a sweeping statement, I see Texas as a state that tries to not be one really. Admittedly, the mexican government was anti slavery and the whole freedom of Texas may not have been an old west things. But I feel it is more complex than that.
(Reply to my reply in the other thread btw)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe