Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think the photos looked lovely. But Texas lacks this
Time to look at some interesting true Texas facts again! I'll bet you didn't know this:

The highest peak in the Appalachian Mountains is 6,683'. (Appalachian Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In fact, that's the highest peak in the entire eastern part of the USA.

The highest peak in Texas is Guadalupe Mountain at 8,751': (Facts About Guadalupe Peak — Highest Mountain in Texas). There are actually many mountains in Texas with peaks higher than the highest elevation in the east: https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/mountains.html

So, for a time at least Texas had the highest peak in the the entire USA:
Quote:
Mount Mitchell is the highest peak of the Appalachian Mountains and the highest peak in eastern North America, excluding island summits. It was the highest point in any state of the United States until Texas joined the union in 1845.
Do the mountains in Texas compare with the Rockies? Of course not. But they are significant. Google "El Paso skyline" or look up the Franklin Mountains (Texas) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:38 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Those Smoky Mountains/Appalachians are so gorgeous! That's another area often overlooked by international tourists.

I can't wait to get back that way.

I don't believe in mountains without Big Water nearby, and in this respect Pacific Northwest stole my heart.

( Although originally I always thought that I preferred something like this; something much, much warmer... )

( Caucasus)

Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Erasure, now those are mountains! Incedently, not sure if the Rockies reference was to my picture. Wasn't the Rockies but the San Gabriels.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mountains? Oh please!

This is what a mountain looks like. Those were hills.
I never met a mountain I didn't like.

As a Texan, I'm not saying that Texas has mountains that are like, say, the Rockies. Of course we don't have any mountain ranges like that. All I'm pointing out is that Texas is not all flat desert - we do in fact have a few mountain ranges.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't believe in mountains without Big Water nearby, and in this respect Pacific Northwest stole my heart.
Although originally I always thought that I preferred something like this; something much, much warmer... )

( Caucasus)
Great photos!

But if you want water near your mountains - here you go:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ena_Canyon.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--firxL99ZE...66_600x450.jpg

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/41748918.jpg

http://alpinedailyplanet.typepad.com...20c8970c-800wi

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...e291.image.jpg

http://friolodging.com/images/scener...s_crossing.jpg

Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I never met a mountain I didn't like.

As a Texan, I'm not saying that Texas has mountains that are like, say, the Rockies. Of course we don't have any mountain ranges like that. All I'm pointing out is that Texas is not all flat desert - we do in fact have a few mountain ranges.
A common misconception is that Texas is desert. Texas actually doesn't have much true desert at all and what is there is closer to New Mexico. The largest chunk of Texas is grassland (it is considered the southern plains after all) which is why it has that African savanna look about it. But I'm sorry, those are ranges of hills

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
A common misconception is that Texas is desert. Texas actually doesn't have much true desert at all and what is there is closer to New Mexico. The largest chunk of Texas is grassland (it is considered the southern plains after all) which is why it has that African savanna look about it. But I'm sorry, those are ranges of hills
To you they're hills, but they are mountain enough to suit me!

But then, I also prefer the Appalachians to the Rockies, and the Spessarts to the Alps.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Will you people stop posting all those gorgeous photos, I am now suffering from a serious case of wanderlust.... I think Texas is often "misunderstood" or suffers from too many cliches and misconceptions put about by Popular Culture which is a shame.

For me it would probably not be a place to live but to visit I think it has much to offer in beauty, history and character and plenty enough to keep someone occupied for quite a while which is good enough for me at least ! Credit where it's due.

I think Kathryn has actually done a very good job of showing the diversity and range of the State ! Some glorious photos of a place she obviously knows a lot better than most of us I am sure, and obviously loves.

Kathryn , I for one I would be more than happy to visit again ! You don't fancy a perfectly house trained guest by any chance ? Big horizons are just what is needed at the moment, having had to cancel two vacations through ill health...

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Will you people stop posting all those gorgeous photos, I am now suffering from a serious case of wanderlust.... I think Texas is often "misunderstood" or suffers from too many cliches and misconceptions put about by Popular Culture which is a shame.

For me it would probably not be a place to live but to visit I think it has much to offer in beauty, history and character and plenty enough to keep someone occupied for quite a while which is good enough for me at least ! Credit where it's due.

I think Kathryn has actually done a very good job of showing the diversity and range of the State ! Some glorious photos of a place she obviously knows a lot better than most of us I am sure, and obviously loves.

Kathryn , I for one I would be more than happy to visit again ! You don't fancy a perfectly house trained guest by any chance ? Big horizons are just what is needed at the moment, having had to cancel two vacations through ill health...

Oh, no - I am so sorry you've had messed up vacations recently!

A couple of years ago, my husband and I had a big anniversary trip planned to Europe in June. We both got "the funk" in March and then couldn't seem to shake the coughing - and then the heavy pollen in spring made it even worse. Two weeks out from our vacation, we were nearly panicking because we were both coughing and hacking and just felt plain ol' SICK.

We went back to the doctor and said, "Hit us with everything you've got." He did so (including shots in our rear ends - OUCH!) and thank goodness it finally worked. But we were really worried for awhile.

Texas is a great place - but just one of many in this wide, wide world. Oh how I love to travel!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
The desert in Texas is part of The Chihuahuan Desert, which is the largest desert in North America. It's milder in temps than the Sonoran or Mojave, though -- perhaps why there is slightly more vegetation.

I think the Texas mountain ranges of the Chisos Mountains (Big Bend), Guadalupe Mountains, and Franklin Mountains are all part of this desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe