Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
Mac Donalds and Coke are not perceived as "Anglophone", but as "imperialistic"...
It all comes from the Cold War.
Well it is Anglophone. The name is Scottish in origin and the food is american which means it is anglophone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM

633 posts, read 1,735,498 times
What is Mc Donalds? Something to eat? Really?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
Explain why Jose Bove became so popular after destroying a mcdonalds restaurant?
You ignored my question

Old 09-14-2013, 03:04 AM

205 posts, read 520,512 times
Most people in McDonals in Spain are kids, very young people, or parents anguished by their kids that want gifts. Also kid's birthdays, good way to solve that issue.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
because Burger King taste better

Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 PM

9 posts, read 14,125 times
They don't - or at least, they don't any more. There seem to be less McD's in France than elsewhere in Europe, but part of that is due to the excellent quality of food in French cafes.

I know given the choice which I'd have, and it ain't the golden arches.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,944 times
I prefer Quick over McDonalds, anyday !

Quote:
Most people in McDonals in Spain are kids, very young people, or parents anguished by their kids that want gifts. Also kid's birthdays, good way to solve that issue.

I noticed how there were much more kids and young people at McDonalds in Spain than France....but wow...I would so be pissed if my birthday was at McDonalds !

I would prefer eating at home with family than to do that !

Old 09-15-2013, 03:40 PM

183 posts, read 295,504 times
the french have long standing (or they want it to be long at least) traditional values when it comes to good food
and mcdonalds is too popular for some french is my take does not change the fact that mcdonalds has done the world a whole lot of good (nothing conditions as good as food and mcdonalds production cycle is a wonder to behold)

Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I think it has to do for several reasons, but most importantly two:

I. France was once a mighty global empire and the U.S. is still one. I think the French are jealous at the U.S. for this and many are also grumpy that the French way of doing things is going the way of the highway.

Many former French colonies are, how can I say this, unfrenching themselves (yes, I did invent that word and the funny part is that you know exactly what I mean! LOL). The mere fact that every year less people worldwide are actually learning French (the language) is a big frustration among the French.

They are so sure that utter Frenchness is the most divine thing invented since slice bread, that they can't understand why the world shuns it, even the parts of the world that were molded along the French way by actual French people. But the world simply eats up much of what the U.S. sputters out, even stuff of less than ideal quality, and this makes many French blood boil! lol

II. The French are very tribal in nature. You might say that all humans are, but US Americans don't mind franchises and commercial chains of anything. The French like their stuff local and small. I think every French town has its own cheese that actually looks and taste different from every other town's cheeses. And other towns can't copy the cheese from, well, other towns!

Despite Carrefour, which is the French version of Walmart (you don't have to go to France to see Carrefour, they are all over Latin America too); the French prefer to shop in locally owned small shops. They often prefer an open air market to a supermarket. The French have their way of doing things and they are quite stubborn about this.

I think its easy to see why McDonald's is such a big deal for the French. On the other hand, had McDonald's been French, then I doubt they would had such a problem. Again, look at Carrefour vis-a-vis Walmart. They may protest against Walmart too (and probably did, lol), but they love their Carrefour. Why? Because its French!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The French like their stuff local and small.
Second time i had to ask this but why is there 2,000 McDonalds restaurants in France?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe