Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times

Advertisements

We're eager to sample French cuisine as prepared in France. Are there any tips on eating delicious foods without breaking the budget in Paris? We'll be eating breakfast chez moi in our rented apartment, but are looking at eating some lunches and dinners out.

I'm not clear on the different types of restaurant categories. Such as, what's the difference between a bistro and a cafe menu (and cost)?

We like creative dishes using fresh local ingredients--not big on fast foods--or too many rich sauces. Love crepes and vegetables. We'll also be looking for some great Vietnamese/Thai/Indian/Middle Eastern food.

Love to hear any tips or recommendations from you. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 03:09 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We're eager to sample French cuisine as prepared in France. Are there any tips on eating delicious foods without breaking the budget in Paris? We'll be eating breakfast chez moi in our rented apartment, but are looking at eating some lunches and dinners out.

I'm not clear on the different types of restaurant categories. Such as, what's the difference between a bistro and a cafe menu (and cost)?

We like creative dishes using fresh local ingredients--not big on fast foods--or too many rich sauces. Love crepes and vegetables. We'll also be looking for some great Vietnamese/Thai/Indian/Middle Eastern food.

Love to hear any tips or recommendations from you. Thanks!

As with anywhere else, avoid the tourist traps and head for where the locals eat. Look for daily "prix fixe" menus written on boards posted outside restaurants/cafes/bistros. You can look and compare several in an area making a decision based upon what factors suit your particular needs.

Depending upon how good your French is you can ask residents in the building you are staying and or use your smart phone to look up reviews of places. Or do the research here before leaving home.

As for the differences between bistros, cafes and restaurants, this sums things up nicely: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6152521AAXdgRh

Basically a café is a coffeehouse where you will find that beverage, perhaps tea and other things including alcoholic drinks (if licensed), along with "light food". Bistros IMHO are small local places that serve good but basic fare, kind of local area place where families or anyone else in the area would go for dinner or lunch.

Have always stayed with friends when in France and thus eaten breakfast "at home" then packed a lunch/snacks before heading out to explore the city. Would go to local supermarkets such as "Ed's" and stock up on yoghurt and so forth, maybe fresh fruit and perhaps some cheese from another.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM

545 posts, read 866,202 times
If you want crêpes look for a true crêperie and not those aweful crêpes in the tourists areas.
Use this website if you are looking for something a bit unusual as a tourist but not too "underground" or risky : Paris: Guide to art, culture and going out

edit. two good crêperies I tried
West Country Girl
FR-Breizh-Cafe-Paris-accs

Both are a bit too hype in my opinion. But they are good. But if you want the best, you'll need to go to Britanny. Not pretentious restaurants and best crêpes ever.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 AM

Many thanks to you both! That was just the info I was hoping to get. Appreciate the links and specific restaurant recommendations.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 AM

77 posts, read 77,700 times
Lunch menus are cheaper than evening ones and if you take the menu du jour then it's usually very good value. I would eat breakfast at home, eat a good meal at lunchtime and eat lightly in the evening - a salad.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadbach View Post
Lunch menus are cheaper than evening ones and if you take the menu du jour then it's usually very good value. I would eat breakfast at home, eat a good meal at lunchtime and eat lightly in the evening - a salad.
Sounds like a plan! That's often how we eat at home...I'd rather have a substantial lunch and a light dinner. I've been looking up French creperies--and I'm drooling.

There was once a little French cafe (operated by folks from France?) in the small California town we lived in. It was the first time I'd ever had a Brittany-styled crepe--with the buckwheat pancake..and the savory flavors of a full-bodied cheese, wild mushrooms and spinach all combined into one delicious combination. Some kind of light yummy sauce on top. We ate there often--and were heart-broken when the place closed.

Come this Fall, you can be sure we'll be eating our fill of crepes.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
I would sometimes get a baguette, some cheese and wine and have an impromptu picnic.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:02 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
I don't think you'll be able to easily find truly well prepared traditional French meals at bistros or restaurants for any less than 35/euros head, with 40-60 euros/head more realistic if you want to have wine. You can eat more cheaply but you will sacrifice quality. A great source for restaurant recommendations is to check out the France board on chowhound.com.

But you can still eat well. Find a good boulangerie and get a good loaf of bread. Find a cheese shop and get some cheese. A great and cheap lunch at a park!

Patisseries can be fabulous for only a few euros/pastry.

There are lots of sandwich shops in Paris where you can get a tasty baguette sandwich for a few euros.

Paris also has quite a few "gourmet to go" places where you can pick up very good prepared food, such as pate en croute, for not too much.

As with anywhere, it pays to do your research. Not every boulangerie is a great boulangerie. Not every patisserie is a great patisserie. The really good ones are only marginally more expensive than generic ones, so it's worthwhile seeking out the recommended ones.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Wow, your advice keeps getting better and better...will follow your advice to have a frugal gourmet adventure in Paris..want to discover how to eat like a Parisian of modest means..and you're helping me do it! A million thank you's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe