Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM

285 posts, read 750,503 times

Advertisements

The demographic boom in many african countries like Nigeria is fostering a massive movement of population to europe.
Spain is the easiest target, it's borders are easy to cross. Once in Spain the african immigrants in the worst case will have to spend some time in a retention center, but after that they are set free.
The Spanish government policy about ilegal immigration is increadibly weak, maybe because of the pressure of some economical lobbies, and the corruption in the political class.
Spain has recieved around 8 millon immigrants in the last years, despite it's high unemployement rate, around 25%, with 6 millon unemployed.
The attacks are increasing in number, frequency and violence, and the Spanish police is not allowed to use any kind of special riot control material (despite the spanish riot squads are incredibily violent restraining with its own citizens).

Here are some videos about what has been called the wwb

Inmigrantes saltan la valla para entrar en Melilla - YouTube

Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,676,710 times
Wow! Really sad to see the borders being invaded. Does Spain also give them free food, medical care, and education? What is the draw and how can the country absorb so many or are they deported?

Why even bother with a fence if there is no enforcement?

Old 09-18-2013, 04:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
The Spanish government policy about ilegal immigration is increadibly weak, maybe because of the pressure of some economical lobbies, and the corruption in the political class.
Spain has recieved around 8 millon immigrants in the last years, despite it's high unemployement rate, around 25%, with 6 millon unemployed.
Yeah, right. There is around 6 million people with immigrant background in Spain.

And the population is massive from black Africa. 1,000 from Congo, 1,600 from the Ivory Coast, 37,000 from Nigeria... what a demographic shock. And other poor people as well: 10,000 from Finland, 50,000 from the Netherlands, 400,000 from the UK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Wow! Really sad to see the borders being invaded. Does Spain also give them free food, medical care, and education? What is the draw and how can the country absorb so many or are they deported?
Desperate people do desperate things. Most are moved into detention centers and deported. I don't know how the situation is in Spain, but in Greece the detention centers are really nasty places. Worse than prisons.

And I would like to remind that Spain's population dropped by 210,000 people last year, so I can't see people just coming in hordes to Spain.

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Redundant

Old 09-18-2013, 04:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,490,218 times
Yes there are too many immigrants in Spain, and with this high unemployment rate it is crazy... I don't have anything against people who move to other coutry to have better life, who knows everyone can be in that sitaution someday but many people here are angry because they get all the benefits, helps, and payments and too many locals were unhelped. So sad.
Their kids go first to public school.
Grants only for them.
Free food and nappies for their babies.

Nothing for locals. I am not sure if it is still happening but it was around 4 years ago.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yes there are too many immigrants in Spain, and with this high unemployment rate it is crazy... I don't have anything against people who move to other coutry to have better life, who knows everyone can be in that sitaution someday but many people here are angry because they get all the benefits, helps, and payments and too many locals were unhelped. So sad.
Their kids go first to public school.
Grants only for them.
Free food and nappies for their babies.

Nothing for locals. I am not sure if it is still happening but it was around 4 years ago.
Why have I heard exactly the same phrases regarding this country? And Canada, and Norway...

You forgot to mention that immigrants gets more benefits than war veterans, that's a commonly used cliché as well...

Oh, and the immigrants take our jobs and especially women...

Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,490,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why have I heard exactly the same phrases regarding this country? And Canada, and Norway...

You forgot to mention that immigrants gets more benefits than war veterans, that's a commonly used cliché as well...

Oh, and the immigrants take our jobs and especially women...
Do you mean that this also happens in Norway Finland and Canada? or you have just heard it? war veterans cliché is not used here... and women.... no men don't complain about it lol.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Do you mean that this also happens in Norway Finland and Canada? or you have just heard it? war veterans cliché is not used here... and women.... no men don't complain about it lol.
I don't want to sound rude, but anti-immigration people often say that immigrants gets more benefits than the native population, but that has been proven false. In Finland and Canada there was a claim that immigrants gets more benefits than war veterans just to agitate people, but that was proven false as well.

We certainly don't have the same problems as Spain, when our EU border is east, and Russian refugees are immediately rejected if they aren't political prisoners or something like that, and people in poor countries know our immigration laws are strict. Ironically, during 2011 and 2012 combined more immigrants moved to the country legally than Finland has accepted refugees since 1973.

I know the situation is very difficult in Spain, and there's millions who'd like to come there, but as I've understood most are rejected and sent home. The majority of Spanish immigrants are from South America and Europe. There's even more Finns living in Spain than from many African countries. And I really don't think immigrants gets more benefits than the native populace, it has been proven a myth in other countries.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 PM

And all of this is of course very sad. I read a report on illegal immigration, and that was really not for the faint-hearted. It told a story of a guy who walked most of the way from Nigeria to Mali or was it Mauretania, where he bought a ridiculously expensive ride across the Sahara in a trunk of a car. No food was included, only water, and he had to travel in the 50C pitch dark trunk the whole way. He arrived in Morocco with most of his money gone, without food and shelter. He worked a while as a practical slave, and bought a place in a refugee boat with again a ridiculous amount of money. His slave boss made him do overtime and he missed the boat (or raft whatever it was), which later sunk in the Mediterranean, killing all aboard. Desperately he tried to go to Ceuta or Melilla, where he was finally caught by the Spanish immigration agency. I don't remember how the story ended, but that was one of many similar sad stories. All this took about 3 years or something.

And around 1500-2000 immigrants are killed crossing the Mediterranean every year, and a whole lot more crossing the Sahara. Notorious examples are when human traffickers takes the money and willingly leave immigrants to die in Sahara, sometimes in groups of hundreds. Sometimes greedy traffickers amass 100 people in one truck, where they die of lack of oxygen or heat stroke.
Human trafficking is truly a very nasty business, yuck.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,390,426 times
I noticed the photo from the OP was of the wall at Melilla, which along with Ceuta, are the two enclaves ruled by Spain located in Africa on the Mediterranian coast of Morocco. Both cities are walled enclaves, like the former wall surrounding West Berlin in the cold war era. Yes, there are actually people from Africa who attempt to get over the wall and into Melilla or Ceuta as a foothold to get entry into Spain. But it is not easy to get into Melilla or Ceuta from Morocco or any place in Africa, and not so easy to get from Ceuta or Melilla by ferry boat to mainland Spain for a poor undocumented person from Africa.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,941 times
so africans are doing what spain did to them 400 years earlier by bringing them to north america, south america, central america and the caribbeans thru the north atlantic slave trade? don't worry i don't think they will enslave them.. but it is interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe