Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ukraine in EU?
Like 79 38.54%
Dislike 126 61.46%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:05 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You mean Austrian-Hungarian Empire?

Why, I've heard a thing or two, but...the language, the culture ( be that Hungarians or Czecs) - nope, sorry, those relations were not "special" enough.
Besides, is it a first time when Germans ( ugh, sorry - Austrians ) unite under their umbrella someone/something else?
At least we have obviously lost our need to get someone under "our umbrella" by now. Contrary to the Russians as it seems to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
You mean Austrian-Hungarian Empire?

Why, I've heard a thing or two, but...the language, the culture ( be that Hungarians or Czecs) - nope, sorry, those relations were not "special" enough.
Besides, is it a first time when Germans ( ugh, sorry - Austrians ) unite under their umbrella someone/something else?
By your definition, do you think Austria "belongs" to Germany given their linguistic and historical connection?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I wish Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine would all get a standard that would enable them to join the EU; just being at that standard would mean everyone would have a better quality of life.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
At least we have obviously lost our need to get someone under "our umbrella" by now. Contrary to the Russians as it seems to be the case.
Lol no, the current Russian government is so greedy (and therefore shortsighted,) that unlike all previous Russian governments they don't want to get anyone under their "umbrella," because that means they'd have to share natural resources and subsidize someone else's economies, as it has been a case before.
What Putin and his ilk want to do today, is to milk everyone and to twist everyone's arm, not to take anyone "under their umbrella." That saves them money (or so they think) that they can have all for themselves.
The only thing I can do is to wish them good luck with that, because excessive greed never ended up well, even if for the moment being P. thinks that his throne is quite stable and comfortable))))

Last edited by erasure; 09-20-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
By your definition, do you think Austria "belongs" to Germany given their linguistic and historical connection?
Deep down - yes, I think so, in the same manner as Bavaria more or less.
However since Austria was a German entity in the past that laid foundation for yet another "German- organized" state ( a.k.a. Austrian-Hungarian Empire,)- that's what left Austria standing on its own at the end.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I wish Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine would all get a standard that would enable them to join the EU; just being at that standard would mean everyone would have a better quality of life.
And I believe that Russia, Belarus and Ukraine should have its own union, it's own stable and decent government, because Russia is really not a "country but the whole continent" as one of my friends once said. This "continent" should have served as a good counter-balance for the US economy and world politics, as much as provide a prosperous market for Western European goods, ( that were traditionally in demand in Russia) and support European economy that Europeans wouldn't feel any need to scramble in order to withstand the US pressure be it in terms of politics or economy. This way this multi-polar world would have been a prosperous and stable place to live in.
I believe it was all suppose to happen back in the nineties, with the fall of Soviet system, but someone somewhere screwed it all up real bad.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I suspect that a few centuries from now, if Ukraine as a country still exists, Ukrainians will think of their historical connection to Russia the same way Hungarians think of their connection to Austria, or Fins of their connection to Sweden, or the Benelux of their connections to each other or to Spain, etc. The fact that Kiev was once the capital of Russia will just be an interesting anecdote, kind of like how Istanbul was once the capital of the eastern Roman Empire.
Istanbul was never a capital of Eastern Roman Empire.
Constantinople was.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Istanbul was never a capital of Eastern Roman Empire.
Constantinople was.
Oh, they changed the name so I guess it doesn't count anymore. Good to know that all the Ukranians have to do is change "Kiev" to something like "Veik" and we'll forget it ever had any connection to Russia

Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I wonder what offer was made to the semi-criminal Ukrainian clans, rooted in the Russian speaking Eastern Ukraine and running the government, so they couldn't refuse it? Their strongest (if not the only) supporters are either ethnic Russians or thoroughly russified Ukrainians of the Eastern Ukraine longing for closer ties (if not outright merger) with Russia. Why such a change of heart?

From a standpoint of the Ukrainian state, it's probably a good thing. Since, Russian speaking semi-criminal "elite" will push Russian speaking supporters (using all means necessary, you guess) to embrace the cause they strongly object. Had Ukrainian speaking "elite" (that doesn't really exist, btw) pushed for the same, Ukraine could split.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, they changed the name so I guess it doesn't count anymore. Good to know that all the Ukranians have to do is change "Kiev" to something like "Veik" and we'll forget it ever had any connection to Russia
They didn't just "change" the name; Constantinople has been conquered and submitted under Islam by Turks.
As much as you might like to forget this fact, Islamic culture is one of the main reasons why Europeans feel reluctant to admit Turkey in E.U. Therefore there is no "we" in this case as you are trying to imply, so speak for yourself, in the same manner when you speak about Kiev and who is ready to forget what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe