Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ukraine in EU?
Like 79 38.54%
Dislike 126 61.46%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Yet there's plenty of strength to tie in with Putin since he is the leader and believe his way is the 'right' way. If tomorrow Putin says he will bring back the 'good old glory days', the amount of air exhaled around Moscow would be enough to float the city on the moon.
I'm not sure. Yes, there are about 30% who really support Putin. There are 30% who do not support. And they will not be happy 'good old glory days'
And there are 40% who do not care about politics. Putin did not prevent them to live, they do not interfere with Putin rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Oh... as I've said - both Ukraine and Russia will run to Der Germans...

Can Germany help divided Ukraine find a middle ground? (+video) - CSMonitor.com

( Ok, ok, may be they are not running, but Germany already knows it has got job to do, some calculations in this particular situations. )

"But forcefully backing Ukraine's opposition alone does little to diffuse the diplomatic standoff. It simply puts Ukraine back in a familiar spot: in the middle between Russia and Europe. That’s where Germany could seek a middle ground that makes it easier for Ukraine to exit the turmoil, says Mr. Parkes.
Much will hinge on how Germany tries to recalibrate relations with its eastern neighbors. Recent appointments have raised expectations that Berlin wants a more “modern” relationship with Russia: the new chief of German-Russian relations in Berlin, Gernot Erler, is seen as more open to Russia than his predecessor.
“There may be a sense in Berlin that we’ve gone a little too far with criticism of Russia,” says Mr. Frobrig."

Things that make you go hmmm...

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Oh... as I've said - both Ukraine and Russia will run to Der Germans...

Oh no erasure! And edge out the Amerikanskis???????....The Germans may need to be sensitive. This could work at a diplomatic party....;-)....

Nat King Cole- On The Sidewalks Of New York (With Lyrics) - YouTube

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
No, thats NOT what is going on in the US. There are planty of independent news outlets in the US where you can read uncensored and alternative views of events. Such a thing in Soviet Union would never be allowed and you know that.
Your comparison is incorrect here.
During the Cold War there were not plenty of uncensored views in the USA as well and you know that. Plenty of them were very biassed with their aggressive anti-russian agenda. And nowadays Russia has more than plenty of different independent news outlets including www. internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risotto11 View Post
Please don't compare America to Soviet Union or Russia, imperfect as it may be America is not even nearly as oppressive as the Soviet regime was and Russian regime is.
Again, your comparison is incorrect here. You are comparing USA with the yesterday's Soviet Union. Don't put USSR and modern Russia in one lane.
Do you know how many prisoners per capita in the USA and how many them in modern "oppressive" Russia? Do you know how many death penalties per year in the USA (including death penalties against women) and how many d.p. in "opressive" Russia? Do you know how many US citizens were stopped and frisked by US authorities without any good reason and how many people were stopped in "oppressive" Russia even after a terrorist attack? Do you know how many phone conversations and private emails of americans were thoroughly known to ... well, you know. And how many people in "oppressive" Russia felt sorry for americans? Do you know the statistics???
And needless to say that "oppressive" Russia doesn't have a thing like Guantanamo tortures and doesn't kill peaceful citizens of other countries using drons or/and bombs.

Have you been to modern Russia? If no, then how can you even make any comparison?
I am your fellow american can tell you that you have a distorted view of modern Russia. And all of independent news outlets won't help to straighten it up, because you need to get rid of all your prejudices and the old cold war cliches first.

Last edited by musiqum; 02-10-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
And all of independent news outlets won't help to straighten it up, because you need to get rid of all your prejudices and the old cold war cliches first.
I know some have said the cold war is 'over'. Not sure if they mean 'disappeared'. But I've always looked at it as more of a sublimation going on. The Russian/US positions are governed by opposing ideology. The bears and the eagles have not gotten along for quite a while now.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM

804 posts, read 618,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
. Your comparison is incorrect here.
During the Cold War there were not plenty of uncensored views in the USA as well and you know that.
No, they were always plenty. As opposed to Soviet Union opposing the government was not illegal.

Quote:
Plenty of them were very biassed with their aggressive anti-russian agenda. And nowadays Russia has more than plenty of different independent news outlets including www. internet.
Truth about Soviet regie was in your mind propaganda? Even now most Americans don't understand that in soviet Russia traveling abroad was almost impossible or that you couldn't just go out and by yourself a CB radio.

Quote:
Again, your comparison is incorrect here. You are comparing USA with the yesterday's Soviet Union. Don't put USSR and modern Russia in one lane.
Do you know how many prisoners per capita in the USA and how many them in modern "oppressive" Russia? Do you know how many death penalties per year in the USA (including death penalties against women) and how many d.p. in "opressive" Russia? Do you know how many US citizens were stopped and frisked by US authorities without any good reason and how many people were stopped in "oppressive" Russia even after a terrorist attack? Do you know how many phone conversations and private emails of americans were thoroughly known to ... well, you know. And how many people in "oppressive" Russia felt sorry for americans? Do you know the statistics???
And needless to say that "oppressive" Russia doesn't have a thing like Guantanamo tortures and doesn't kill peaceful citizens of other countries using drons or/and bombs.
Yes I do. But I also know how many people in Russia disappears without a trace every year.

Quote:
Have you been to modern Russia? If no, then how can you even make any comparison?
I am your fellow american can tell you that you have a distorted view of modern Russia. And all of independent news outlets won't help to straighten it up, because you need to get rid of all your prejudices and the old cold war cliches first.
Not lately. By the way, ***** Riot is out, right?
How come free Russia still sends young girls to hard labor just for singing a song in a church? Pure democracy

Old 02-10-2014, 12:48 PM

804 posts, read 618,894 times
Cold War is not over, as soon as Putin and Russia feels stronger it will be more evident.
Big difference however between 1964 and 2014 is that china is more of a superpower than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I know some have said the cold war is 'over'. Not sure if they mean 'disappeared'. But I've always looked at it as more of a sublimation going on. The Russian/US positions are governed by opposing ideology. The bears and the eagles have not gotten along for quite a while now.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Wondering what this all has to to with Ukraine and the EU. Please keep the Cold War comments for another thread.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:05 PM

I
Quote:
lived in Ukraine.
Incredibly great country, with great people.
Of course!

Quote:
But corruption level is enormous.
If it is 'enormous' then I'd think it is in every sector of the society. Top to the bottom. Not good. Soembody's going to have the first move to make business transactions 'honest'...who would that be?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
The only reason I voted yes is if Russia is against it, then I'm for it. Ukraine, bless them, is really backward in many ways, so a closer alliance with more advanced countries couldn't be bad.

All I know about Ukraine is from talking to a former employee who immigrated from there. He talked of things like limited utilities. I asked, why didn't people just improve the infrastructure, since he was smart and I assume they are just as capable? He said the bureaucracy prevented it. He also said, FYI, to never say The Ukraine, because it is like saying The America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe