Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times

Advertisements

I am from Sweden, and I would like to know what people from other countries, in particular English speaking countries, thinks what Swedish sounds like besides the 2 sister languages Danish and Norwegian (which are mutually intelligible with Swedish). This question is obviously to those who dont speak Swedish, in particular to people in the English speaking world.

Many has said it sounds like German, some says it sounds like Dutch, and some even says it sounds like Russian.

Here you can listen to some major dialects of Swedish:

Standard Swedish:

South Swedish:

Finland Swedish:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Like a language.

But seriously, I don't know. I don't think it sounds German at all, and I could not mistake Swedish for German. Swedish sounds a lot easier on the ears. I quite like it.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 PM

There is one particular Swedish dialect that I think could be mistaken for German very easly, it's called Gutamål, or Gutnish I think its called in English, from the island of Gotland

But standard Swedish is also commonly mistaken for German, especially in the US

Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Actually the intonation of Swedish actually reminds me of some accents of the north of England.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I am from Sweden, and I would like to know what people from other countries, in particular English speaking countries, thinks what Swedish sounds like besides the 2 sister languages Danish and Norwegian (which are mutually intelligible with Swedish). This question is obviously to those who dont speak Swedish, in particular to people in the English speaking world.

Many has said it sounds like German, some says it sounds like Dutch, and some even says it sounds like Russian.

Here you can listen to some major dialects of Swedish:

It sounds like a language that I wouldn't be able to learn from phonetic point of view.
It sounds quite different from Russian because Russian has quite distinguishable vowels and consonants where Swedish doesn't seem to have consonants; I mean they are there, but you meet them only once in a great while. And since I can't keep up with all those interchanging vowels floating one into another, I don't see how I'd be able to learn Swedish, although it looks like its grammar is somewhere between English and German. The only thing in Swedish that reminds me of Russian ( or German for this matter) is some *umlaut* kind of vowels, but German is more guttural and very upfront about all its consonants whether you like them or not))))

Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Swedish is not a language I have heard very often. . In fact I have rarely ever heard it. Swedish does not sound like German to me at all. If I heard the language spoken in the videos in public. Then I might think it is one of the Scandinavian languages. However I don't think I would be able to distinguish it for certain as being Swedish.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Actually the intonation of Swedish actually reminds me of some accents of the north of England.
Coincidentally I think that some accents of northern England reminds me of Swedish/Scandinavian, like for example Yorkshire. And the Shetland Islands of Scotland reminds me of how it sounds like when people from Iceland and the Faroe Islands speaks English.

Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Faroese, German, Dutch, Frisian and English are all connected, they are all Germanic languages so it's actually not very strange that one might sound like the other, and as for the first 3 of these (Swedish, Norwegian and Danish), those 3 are so similar that if you speak 1 of them you will also understand the other 2. I'm a Swede and all my conversations with Norwegians and Danes are in our respective languages, without much problem.

Finnish is something completely different though, Finnish is often mistaken for being a Scandinavian (North Germanic) language because of the country's location on the map, but Finnish is not Germanic at all and does not have any similarities with the Scandinavian and other Germanic languages, infact it's not even Indo-European, it is an Ugric language and more similar to Estonian and Hungarian.

Finnish should not be confused with Finland Swedish, which is spoken by the large Swedish speaking minority (around 300,000 people) in Finland and is a dialect of the Swedish language. There is towns and regions in Finland that are exclusively Swedish speaking, these regions includes for example the Ã…land Islands where Swedish is the one and only official languge by local law, they dont even learn Finnish there.

West Germanic = English, German, Dutch, Afrikaans and Frisian

North Germanic = Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic and Faroese

Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Yes it's no surprise since the area was part of Danelaw, and was very influenced by the Norse. Northern Scotland even moreso...in fact I heard until recently people in the Shetland and Orkney islands could communicate with Norwegians, dunno how true this is though. Genetically the area is very Norse.

Yes Finnish is another thing altogether, though it's been influenced by Swedish. Just looking at google translate, however, the Scandinavian languages seem just as intelligible as German.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM

Southern Swedish sounds more like Danish.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes it's no surprise since the area was part of Danelaw, and was very influenced by the Norse. Northern Scotland even moreso...in fact I heard until recently people in the Shetland and Orkney islands could communicate with Norwegians, dunno how true this is though. Genetically the area is very Norse.

Yes Finnish is another thing altogether, though it's been influenced by Swedish. Just looking at google translate, however, the Scandinavian languages seem just as intelligible as German.
In Orkney and Shetland they actually spoke a North Germanic language for not so long ago called Norn, which went extinct in the 1800's. Norn was fully intelligible with Faroese and possibly Icelandic, which is alot different from Norwegian so I dont think they could communicate with Norwegians, but they could most likely communicate with Faroe islanders and Icelanders. For those who dont know, the Faroe Islands is that archipelago between Shetland and Iceland, it is an autonomous and self-ruling territory of Denmark but they speak Faroese which is a language of its own, and its unlike Denmark not a part of the EU, it also has its own Prime Minister.

Of course Finnish has been influenced by Swedish since Finland was a part of Sweden for hundreds of years, but we cannot commincate with each others if we use our own languages, the similarities are very, very small. Finnish has also been equally influenced with Russian, because it was part of Russia for over 100 years and borders populated areas of north-western Russia. But Finnish is neither a Germanic or Slavic language, it is Ugric and very similar to Estonian, and on long distance, Hungarian.

The Scandinavian languages are not intelligible with German, though many words are either the same or just spelled differently, but the language is NOT similar enough to have a conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe