Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Turkey more European than Georgia?
Yes, Turkey is more European 2 9.09%
No, Turkey is less European than Georgia 7 31.82%
No, Turkey is not Europe at all 5 22.73%
Neither country is European 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 2,271 times

Advertisements

Neither country is European as both these countries have absolutely different culture and mentality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 04:57 AM

419 posts, read 349,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasinez View Post
Neither country is European as both these countries have absolutely different culture and mentality
For turkey it's true, i see it as not more European than Lebanon or even Iraq are European

Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM

102,352 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked in Azerbaijan and visited Georgia and Turkey and I would say Georgia is more European than Turkey....Georgia seemed like a weird mix of Russian and Greek. I think the fact that Georgia is culturally Christian and Turkey is culturally Muslim is the biggest reason Georgia is more European than Turkey and the people of Georgia want to be thought of as European.
I agree with this. And Georgia "invented" wine-making several thousand years ago, which became popular in Europe later on. Just saying. Although there may be enclaves in Turkey that have a higher percentage of Indo-European people and I-E traditional culture.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,960,097 times
Quote:
I worked in Azerbaijan and visited Georgia and Turkey and I would say Georgia is more European than Turkey....Georgia seemed like a weird mix of Russian and Greek. I think the fact that Georgia is culturally Christian and Turkey is culturally Muslim is the biggest reason Georgia is more European than Turkey and the people of Georgia want to be thought of as European.

I also like Azerbaijan better than Turkey.
The writing of Georgia actually looks extremely Arabic: საქართველოს წერა განსაკუთრებით არაბულად გამოიყურება Absolutely every letter, another behind the scenes occurrence. Same exact translation: Sakartvelos Ts’era Gansak’utrebit Arabulad Gamoiq’ureba.
دون أي تغييرات في شكل الكتابة.

Ironic Turkish is just Latinized. Avoiding resemblance there:
Yazma formunda herhangi bir değişiklik olmadan.
Without any changes in writing form.

Well, deep down Georgia is Middle Eastern a tiny bit further out than European. Or 50/50. Language writing, energy, music, the ladies. Atmosphere. Azerbaijan, Turkey next door. Persian Gulf tourists. Some various buildings. The nightlife smoke lounges from the nargile.

Cyprus, Israel, Georgia, Armenia are in that bubble, even if they aren't Muslim. Tons of Christians in Lebanon, and Kazakhstan. At least one third of everyone approximately.

There are no signs of Greek culture. Very subtle with Russian only in some corners of Tbilisi.

Is Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey on even ground to you?

Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 13,960,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
According to the English level in both countries, it seems that Georgian people is more prone to learn English as a foreign language than Turkish people, therefore it makes Georgia somewhat more european by all accounts.
Too much English when I went there in Tbilisi in 2018. Wow! I didn't want them to know. Rather have seen them just zone out in friendly confusion. Batumi isn't in that boat. The first night, nobody could speak in my native language, and that is very fun to experience.

I bet in 2005, way less. The case in a lot of foreign republics. And computer machine Google translator probably isn't even around yet.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:36 PM

30,875 posts, read 19,504,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
The writing of Georgia actually looks extremely Arabic: საქართველოს წერა განსაკუთრებით არაბულად გამოიყურება Absolutely every letter, another behind the scenes occurrence. Same exact translation: Sakartvelos Ts’era Gansak’utrebit Arabulad Gamoiq’ureba.
دون أي تغييرات في شكل الكتابة.

Ironic Turkish is just Latinized. Avoiding resemblance there:
Yazma formunda herhangi bir değişiklik olmadan.
Without any changes in writing form.

Well, deep down Georgia is Middle Eastern a tiny bit further out than European. Or 50/50. Language writing, energy, music, the ladies. Atmosphere. Azerbaijan, Turkey next door. Persian Gulf tourists. Some various buildings. The nightlife smoke lounges from the nargile.

Cyprus, Israel, Georgia, Armenia are in that bubble, even if they aren't Muslim. Tons of Christians in Lebanon, and Kazakhstan. At least one third of everyone approximately.

There are no signs of Greek culture. Very subtle with Russian only in some corners of Tbilisi.

Is Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey on even ground to you?

My ranking is:
1. Georgia
2. Azerbaijan
3. Turkey

Georgia I could live in voluntarily. THe other 2 only for work, which I have done. I should note that the people of Azerbaijan are extremely pleasant to deal with.

Old 02-22-2020, 03:24 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,400,161 times
And what if we added Armenia and Azerbaidjan here. I wonder what is more European - Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaidjan? Or Turkey?

Old 03-15-2020, 08:34 AM

228 posts, read 369,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iber-Colchis View Post
Give reasons and arguments why Turkey is considered or should be considered to be more European than Georgia.

Public view poll included.
Georgia is more European, only the western part of Turkey and Istanbul is somehow European.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasinez View Post
So do the Scottish Highlands and Crete, but both are still European. That's the problem with people trying to delineate what is and isn't European on this site - the definition of 'Europe' is simply too vague and fluid. It's the most diverse continent per square km on earth, so most places in Europe have different cultures and mentalities.

Turkey has many of the hallmarks of a European state, is much more technologically advanced than Georgia, is further on the road to EU membership, and it's Mediterranean coast is practically indistinguishable from the Greek islands in terms of culture and history. To some people that makes it European, but to others it simply will never be Europe because it is not Christian (a point I disagree with). Georgia to some will always be European because it was one of the earliest adopters of Christianity and retains close ties to other Orthodox countries, and because the feel of the place is far more 'European' than the eastern regions of Turkey it borders. It might come across as something like a cross between Greece and Russia (on account of its Orthodox culture, its cuisine and its climate, combined with its history as part of the Russian Empire then the USSR) - does that make it less European than other peripheral European regions? Both Greece and Russia are European nations after all.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 353 times
Quote:
[/i]

My ranking is:
1. Georgia
2. Azerbaijan
3. Turkey

Georgia I could live in voluntarily. THe other 2 only for work, which I have done. I should note that the people of Azerbaijan are extremely pleasant to deal with.
There's merit to this list. I was very pleasantly surprised when I visited Baku in that regard. I think that its history of oil drilling has made it a very rich (and thus international) city, but also that the industry opened up Azerbaijan to the rest of Europe long before their neighbours were afforded any serious attention. By being one of the major industrial centres of the Russian Empire and one of its richest cities, it was 'Europeanised' a lot faster. There's also the strange feeling that Azerbaijan is more secular than most of Turkey despite being to its far east - no doubt a legacy of Soviet state atheism. That being said, Baku is Baku, and the rest of Azerbaijan is a little bit different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe