Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Turkey more European than Georgia?
Yes, Turkey is more European 2 9.09%
No, Turkey is less European than Georgia 7 31.82%
No, Turkey is not Europe at all 5 22.73%
Neither country is European 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 06:31 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical Features View Post
There's merit to this list. I was very pleasantly surprised when I visited Baku in that regard. I think that its history of oil drilling has made it a very rich (and thus international) city, but also that the industry opened up Azerbaijan to the rest of Europe long before their neighbours were afforded any serious attention. By being one of the major industrial centres of the Russian Empire and one of its richest cities, it was 'Europeanised' a lot faster. There's also the strange feeling that Azerbaijan is more secular than most of Turkey despite being to its far east - no doubt a legacy of Soviet state atheism. That being said, Baku is Baku, and the rest of Azerbaijan is a little bit different.

Yes to all of it, the "secular part" ( referring to Baku specifically) in particular.
They treasure that Soviet legacy of secularization, ( and may be it's actually the Russian legacy, because they owe it to Russians, many of whom moved to Baku.)
Otherwise Azeris would have the kind of life that the Southern part of their country still has in Iran.
It's the fact that Imperial Russia wrestled Northern part of Azerbaijan from Iran back in the 1800ies - that's what forever changed the fate of that city and its inhabitants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:33 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasinez View Post
Neither country is European as both these countries have absolutely different culture and mentality
I can't speak to Georgia, but I would have to agree with Turkey. I traveled to both Asia Turkey and Europe Turkey. Europe Turkey (and the country as a whole) felt nothing like Europe or European culture to me.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:32 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can't speak to Georgia, but I would have to agree with Turkey. I traveled to both Asia Turkey and Europe Turkey. Europe Turkey (and the country as a whole) felt nothing like Europe or European culture to me.

European Turkey is like 50 kms from where I live in 100% "europe" and everyone here and worldwide considers us 100% eastern europe, that is still europe, you can't say Turkey doesn't have european culture.
I'd say even Belarus, Ukraine and Russia are less european given their cultures.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:52 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
European Turkey is like 50 kms from where I live in 100% "europe" and everyone here and worldwide considers us 100% eastern europe, that is still europe, you can't say Turkey doesn't have european culture.
I'd say even Belarus, Ukraine and Russia are less european given their cultures.
I appreciate your opinion. I gave and stand by mine based on my observations, which are admittedly different than yours! I note that I'm not alone in my thinking per the responses on this thread, though to be sure others also share your views.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 AM

^ sure, to each their own.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 AM

109 posts, read 86,687 times
Stop watching those dumb Turkish soaps, they show the lives of the 1%. But even there you can read between the lines and let's say I've got no desire to visit Turkey or Istanbul due to those movies. Turks I've met irl are very friendly though, more so than Europeans.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
Stop watching those dumb Turkish soaps, they show the lives of the 1%. But even there you can read between the lines and let's say I've got no desire to visit Turkey or Istanbul due to those movies. Turks I've met irl are very friendly though, more so than Europeans.

Lol do people over 19 and before 79 even watch turkish soaps? Thought it's just a way for 17 years old girls to dream about the irresistible, over-human, turkish Thor...Kuvanc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VaPqAW9_Uk

Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 AM

109 posts, read 86,687 times
If TVs in Bulgaria and Serbia show only Turkish soaps they must be well-liked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe