Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times

Advertisements

What you consider real Germans are the results of mixing as well, but it was long before your time, so you just don't remember it, you did not witness the mixing of waves of immigrants. You are drawing an arbitrary line on the calendar. Today Germans are Europeans, but their ancestors came from the Middle East, from the Russian steppe, from the Mediterranean, from Scandinavia etc. That's also why some Germans can pass as Arabs or Turks or Russians etc. - and vice versa.
There are no pure Germans or even Germanic people anymore, except maybe in Iceland due to the isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What you consider real Germans are the results of mixing as well, but it was long before your time, so you just don't remember it, you did not witness the mixing of waves of immigrants. You are drawing an arbitrary line on the calendar. Today Germans are Europeans, but their ancestors came from the Middle East, from the Russian steppe, from the Mediterranean, from Scandinavia etc. That's also why some Germans can pass as Arabs or Turks or Russians etc. - and vice versa.
There are no pure Germans or even Germanic people anymore, except maybe in Iceland due to the isolation.

That might be so, yet doesn't make Arabs or Africans German. I never promoted Germans as a "clean" blonde and blue eyed people, I have dark hair myself. The darkest Germans can pass as the ligthest Arabs, that doesn't mean that Arabs and Germans as a whole look any similar and that Arabs in large numbers blend in well in Germany or any other central European countries.

BTW the darker Germans are more likely considered aliens, I have been asked if I am Italian and I only have dark hair, not dark skin.

Last edited by svenM; 05-16-2018 at 05:18 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Nah, Arabia is a huge region, Arabs can look anything from Central European pale to almost black.
Despite being German, I am darker than some Arabs.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Absolutely not true. Lots of immigrants stay in Southern Europe, for a variety of reasons. Spain, Portugal, and Italy all have large immigrant populations. And yes these immigrants get citizenship.

And you're misrepresenting immigration. Lots of immigrants come to Europe as STUDENTS from "poor" countries or arrive on work visas. It's absolutely not true that they all come seeking asylum. The ones coming on visas have to prove financial viability.
And here we go; In order to defend migration you have to do the same thing the swedish left has been doing for decades now; conflating exchange students and migration from civilized countries with asylum migration.
I'm all for italians, australians, americans, canadians, russians, chinese, japanese, etc imigrants. No problem. They also don't get everything paid for without any conditions, generally behave themselves, aren't over represented in crime stats etc etc. People from civilized countries tend to act civilized to a much higher degree than people from muslim countries.

Then compare with the African and middle eastern migration. It's a complete catastrophy. In the past 6 or 7 years 500-800k migrants have come getting asylym in sweden, which had just over 9 million inhabitants before them and has 10 million now.
Imagine the United states taking in 30 million migrants in 7 years, of which Americans had to pay for 25 million peoples housing, health insurance, food, clothes, schools, fake jobs with salaries, etc etc for a value of 1875 Billion dollars.
Nevermind republicans, most democrats would throw a fit, I imagine.

Quote:
It still seems to be better than in the US, and Sweden's health care expenditure per capita is low:
https://www.internationalinsurance.c...ms-country.php
I think we can argue health reform until pigs fly, but the point here is not about which system is best for the native population, but rather the ability of the government to use public healthcare as a smokescreen to steal money for other projects as well as the immorality of forcing the native population to pay for all these things for people they never agreed to take in, and have no business being here.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:54 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Neuling history is divided into different periods as you know, and what once were "tribes" in ancient history, became "nations" that we know today by the period of "modern history ( i.e. starting from the 1500ies,) and most likely even earlier. So whatever mixture of tribes ( genetic material) was at any given territory by that time - that served as basis for every European nation. And it doesn't make sense to say that this particular *genetic material* was constantly changing, because it was not changing throughout modern history, except for few small variables.
Germans were Europeans not only today, but back in history too.
No one explained yet all this "migration" from Africa or Middle East or Asia - how people all of a sudden moved from one continent/distant place to another and why. ( I mean what are they - some kind of deer herds?)
No one explained ( sufficiently that is) the origin of people as well.
I am new to all this DNA thing, but to me, the sharing of haplogroups by populations that live on different continents does not necessarily indicate "migration," but sharing of the same ancestry more likely.
When these connections are simply laid out in the form of "family tree" - they make much more sense.
That is not to say that there was no migration at all. There was, I am sure, but within the reason.
So it doesn't make much sense to say that there is really no such thing as "true Germans" or "True whoever."

Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM

I disagree. Close to the borders (Germany borders 10 countries or so) for instance Germans are genetically much closer to their neighboring countries than to fellow Germans 300 or 600 or 900 km away. People in Meppen are much more Dutch than Bavarian, as an example.
There simply is no real German in genetic terms.
The unifying thing is basically the ugly German language.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
I disagree. Close to the borders (Germany borders 10 countries or so) for instance Germans are genetically much closer to their neighboring countries than to fellow Germans 300 or 600 or 900 km away. People in Meppen are much more Dutch than Bavarian, as an example.
There simply is no real German in genetic terms.
The unifying thing is basically the ugly German language.
It's normal, because Europe is so small, that this "overlapping" is to be expected.
And I've already said that "Germany" came as the result of unification of few different ( and probably unrelated) tribes that resided in the area.
So yes, Germans vary a great deal ( as it should be in this case,) but that doesn't mean that there is no "true German."

Old 05-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Sorry, but in terms of genes I think it means exactly that. It is a mix of lots of Germanic, Celtic, Slavic and other smaller tribes.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:48 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
[quote=erasure;51921159]It's normal, because Europe is so small, that this "overlapping" is to be expected.
And I've already said that "Germany" came as the result of unification of few different ( and probably unrelated) tribes that resided in the area.
So yes, Germans vary a great deal ( as it should be in this case,) but that doesn't mean that there is no "true German."[/quote]

As Nueling has pointed out before by posting this excellent link:

There's no such thing as a 'pure' European

There is no such thing as a 'real anybody European!', anybody that thinks otherwise are just fooling themselves. It ain't 'rocket science' Europeans have been 'mixing' for thousands of years!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 AM

779 posts, read 595,887 times
[quote=easthome;51927531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It's normal, because Europe is so small, that this "overlapping" is to be expected.
So yes, Germans vary a great deal ( as it should be in this case,) but that doesn't mean that there is no "true German."[/quote]

As Nueling has pointed out before by posting this excellent link:

There's no such thing as a 'pure' European

There is no such thing as a 'real anybody European!', anybody that thinks otherwise are just fooling themselves. It ain't 'rocket science' Europeans have been 'mixing' for thousands of years!
Is there a pure or real African or American or a pure or real Japanese or Chinese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe