Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 05:31 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Just like the Russian attack did not happen in a vacuum chamber. "I will never forget" (see previous song). And I hope that those who started using heavy weapons in the East of Ukraine in 2014 will be punished.
After that, it will be possible to agree that war is bad, and let's not start it again anywhere.

Hear-hear.

When Donbass was bombed - the reaction was "The truth of what happened here may never be known."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85qAWk_PKv4

But when Kiev is bombed - "We know the truth, we know the truth" is coming right away.

Amazing how it works, innit.

Apparently "truth" has a lot of meanings to it.

It all depends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 3,990 times
well, russians will be pahrias. for the next 30 years. better get used to it. the whole war was a fiasco. brothers killing brothers. a useless war.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokaApple View Post
well, russians will be pahrias. for the next 30 years. better get used to it. the whole war was a fiasco. brothers killing brothers. a useless war.

I think that Russians were pariahs from the days of dawn.

So a day longer, a day shorter - they can live with it.

And no, it's not a "useless war" - far away from it.

No civil war is useless at the end.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 3,990 times
victim complex. putin put 18 year old conscripts as cannon fodder. i doubt he'll be popular in russia after this.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
victim complex. putin put 18 year old conscripts as cannon fodder. i doubt he'll be popular in russia after this.

As I've said before - Russians are very inconvenient victim.

They are the victim with a gun.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
As I've said before - Russians are very inconvenient victim.

They are the victim with a gun.
Drunken children with guns won't be enough to steal a country that has all the motivation. Why on earth would Ukrainians want to be subjugated by their backward thinking neighbors?

Old 03-25-2022, 10:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
It's already happening. Putin's Russia is toppling. Just watched this clip today. Nina Belyaeva is the deputy of the district council in Voronezh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gs-CQjJlRQ

Rough translation of what is said after she speaks out against the war:
Someone asks her: "What do you have to say about our soldiers fighting to defend our lives so we can live peacefully and our kids can grow up safely? What is your position on that?"
She responds, "This is false information. Nobody attacked our country, therefore our lives were never in danger. And nobody would have attacked tomorrow. This is all because of the propaganda that was put in your head. There's absolutely no proof that Ukraine was ever going to attack our country."
She's then asked about the Nazis.
She responds, "It's very strange trying to convince people that a Russian-speaking Ukrainian of Jewish descent can be a Nazi. What can be in your head for you to claim something like that?"

Old 03-26-2022, 12:32 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
But...
Genocide is violence against a national, ethnic, racial or religious group.
But if you study at least a little the history of Russia, you will find out that the famine at that time was not only in Ukraine, but throughout the Volga region.
I will agree with you that the famine of 1930-1933 in the USSR isn't exactly genocide, and the main target were the Kulaks (land owning farmers) who were mostly Ukrainians and because of that Ukrainians as a whole suffered relatively more when compared to Russians in the USSR, as well as an ongoing drought, failures in collectivization and Kulaks slaughtering their animals to avoid handing them over to the government which all compounded to make for a terrible famine.

That being said it's hard not to look at the raw data (particularly in Southern Russia) and not call it ethnocide.

Genocide: the deliberate killing of a large number of people from a particular nation or ethnic group with the aim of destroying that nation or group.

Ethnocide: the deliberate and systematic destruction of the culture of an ethnic group.

* Kazakh population in Kazakhstan collapsed by -35.84% from 3,627,612 to 2,327,625 between 1926 and 1939

Now from the above data I don't think that 90% of Ukrainians died in Rostov oblast, it's pretty clear that a large chunk of that were people switching their identity. But then the question arises, why did a majority of Ukrainians in Southern Russia switch their identity to Russian? And keep in mind this was within a 13 year period, so it's not like it was not like the old generation died off and were replaced by a new generation who were educated in Russian language. So it seems like there were some sort of policies in place in the Russian SFSR with the aim of converting Ukrainians into Russians? And if that was the case then that would constitute as ethnocide. Other wise I have a hard time believing that 90% of people can just change their identity on a whim within 13 years if no outside pressure was applied? Although another way of interpreting is that a large chunk of Ukrainians in southern Russia moved to Ukraine such as Donetsk which had a population boom, but even then that doesn’t explain away everything.

Also looking at the data you can see that the Russian population grew faster than the total population for all regions mentioned, and the Ukrainians grew slower than the total in all regions mentioned. Now one of the biggest reasons for this is probably because Russians were far more urbanized than all other ethnic groups in the USSR, and city folks were fed with priority due to Stalin's industrialization policies, and rural agriculturists were left to feed themselves, even when all their food was taken away.

Last edited by grega94; 03-26-2022 at 12:53 AM..

Old 03-29-2022, 03:24 PM

572 posts, read 279,834 times
NPR has a good 2 part piece on the oligarchs and Putin. Worth a read.

1: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...path-for-putin

2: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...sias-oligarchy

Old 03-30-2022, 10:15 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
-You hate everything Russian!
- It's you who call Russian everything that I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe