Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I guess the stars aligned DKM. I have to agree with you on this one. I read today 3 major papers in Russia came out to stand behind this guy. I don't think they would do it without good reason.

Somethings fishy.

I will NOT put a frame up past anyone where money is involved. I think the cops planted that stuff and there are people who have a lot of power (money) involved in it.

Like so many other things will we ever find out the truth?
The whole "civilized world" in a single impulse suffers for this "journalist". And somewhere in prison now sits Julian Assange. Judging by how excited fake news media,all this provocation,originally conceived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 11:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
The court has dropped all charges against the reporter due to lack of credible evidence. The head of the interior ministry has asked for the heads of all officials involved.

I doubt Julian Assange will be so lucky.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The court has dropped all charges against the reporter due to lack of credible evidence. The head of the interior ministry has asked for the heads of all officials involved.

I doubt Julian Assange will be so lucky.

Scrat, this particular journalist (Golunov) was involved in investigative journalism, writing about different cases of corruption in Russia, on different levels.
He was working for "Medusa" - a relatively new media outlet, registered in Latvia.

By the look of his articles, everything he was writing was true, so the charges against him were fake and the "evidence" ( i.e. drugs) clearly planted.

Now the problem is - "Medusa" is a project initially sponsored by Khodorkovsky, although later some "anonymous investors" took over it.( You can find all this info in Russian Wikipedia.)

The editor there is an American never the less.

His name is not all that unfamiliar to me; I am aware of the project he was involved in before, and I used to follow his own blog few years ago.

https://meduza.io/en

So it was not all that easy to "do away" with investigative journalist this time around (as some Russian officials would like to see it I'm sure,) for a number of reasons.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:09 PM

Here's an interesting article of his. Makes you wonder just who he pissed off.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/06/07/the-evictors

Understand that I lost my faith in investigative journalism decades ago right here in America. There's too many of those journalists with an agenda or working with/for certain interests with monied interests for all. I know this crap happens. I know a plumber who wrote an article in a local homeowners forum that made him and the industry a small fortune locally using sketchy science and distortion/manipulation of facts to terrorize gullible homeowners into $1000s in unnecessary work. I know this is BS because the best solution (if the problem even occured) to the problem was easily done for less than $100.

Journalists generally are scumbags IMHO. Plumbers are too.

I know of Meduza but I find little there of substance and I certainly don't like their backers. I find the story in the above link actually believable though and I hope the woman comes off well in the end. I would shoot predatory lenders myself.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:11 PM

Russias food exports to increase. Chinas demand will only grow.

https://www.rt.com/business/461297-r...exports-china/

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
All charges were dropped from Ivan Golunov and he was released.

It is clear that it was a provocation, and it is clear why it was made. Just in those days was the SPIEF. I think that such coincidences are rarely accidental. Two interior Ministry generals were removed from their posts following the investigation of the incident.

Last edited by Zimogor; 06-12-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 02:48 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
545 of the 549 people were arrested in Moscow for supporting Golunov have been released. They were detained for an unauthorized gathering (this is actually a crime in Russia). Seems right that Russia is moving closer to Iran and China with this kind of behavior on behalf of the "authorities".

Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
545 of the 549 people were arrested in Moscow for supporting Golunov have been released. They were detained for an unauthorized gathering (this is actually a crime in Russia). Seems right that Russia is moving closer to Iran and China with this kind of behavior on behalf of the "authorities".
How many were released and not charged from the Trump inauguration? What was it, over 200 people arrested? Yet how many, none? Ended up being charged?

Seems you can take any story, put a country behind it, and depending on the country, the story is either good, bad, normal, etc.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How many were released and not charged from the Trump inauguration? What was it, over 200 people arrested? Yet how many, none? Ended up being charged?

Seems you can take any story, put a country behind it, and depending on the country, the story is either good, bad, normal, etc.
Whataboutism at play here. Tens of thousands of people peacefully protested the Trump election. Anyone breaking the law by blocking road traffic, attacking police or vandalizing could have been arrested and some were. In Russia, they were arrested not for blocking roads but for simply gathering in a park and saying bad things about Putin. Assembly is not illegal here (nor is it in Europe including Ukraine), but it is in Russia. I suppose you know that you are repeating Russian news telling Russians they are more free than us.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It's against the law here in Seattlec too. Matter of fact the city gathers up 100s of cops in riot gear just in case the "protestors" get out of line. I see it every year. Heads get bashed in, people get tossed in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe