Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 08:38 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What is a Siberian Khatru?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HnIr6jYWU

It’s the name of a Yes song, but does it have a bigger meaning?

"'Khatru' means 'as you wish' in the Yemeni dialect of Arabic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Khatru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"'Khatru' means 'as you wish' in the Yemeni dialect of Arabic."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Khatru
But what does it mean in the context of Siberia, if anything at all?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
But what does it mean in the context of Siberia, if anything at all?

"As you wish" Siberian way)))

I didn't find any returns of "Khatru Siberia."

Old 05-04-2019, 09:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"As you wish" Siberian way)))

I didn't find any returns of "Khatru Siberia."
I figured that it’s probably just the band playing around with names as is rather common in music, but was curious about whether there was a bigger meaning to it, especially with regards to the region.

Led Zeppelin has a song named Kashmir that has nothing to do with the region. On the other hand, ABBA have a song called Waterloo which is about Napoleon.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 AM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RV_fhdf-fw&t=734s

Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post

I can't believe this is what stores are like all over the country, i.e. outside of Western Russia.

I'm blown away.

Seriously, people: friends used to ask me to send them dental floss, via whatever connections we could find--people traveling from my region to Russia, or whatever. The explosion of consumer goods has me in disbelief.Not to mention, the computerized do-it-yourself price tickets. And the plastic baggies!!! So, Russia is producing almost as much trash from plastic packaging and shopping bags, as America now? These plastic bags are a terrible idea. They're even banned in some US cities.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM

1,348 posts, read 623,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I can't believe this is what stores are like all over the country, i.e. outside of Western Russia.

I'm blown away.

Seriously, people: friends used to ask me to send them dental floss, via whatever connections we could find--people traveling from my region to Russia, or whatever. The explosion of consumer goods has me in disbelief.Not to mention, the computerized do-it-yourself price tickets. And the plastic baggies!!! So, Russia is producing almost as much trash from plastic packaging and shopping bags, as America now? These plastic bags are a terrible idea. They're even banned in some US cities.
Yes, this supermarket have practically in the all major cities. I think in cities over 100 000 citizens for sure. This is the Federal chain of supermarkets, and besides it there are the such 1 or 2 local networks in cities. I am not a supporter plastic shopping bags too and I think that paper bags are better... but... C'est La Vie

Old 05-05-2019, 10:41 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Yes, this supermarket have practically in the all major cities. I think in cities over 100 000 citizens for sure. This is the Federal chain of supermarkets, and besides it there are the such 1 or 2 local networks in cities. I am not a supporter plastic shopping bags too and I think that paper bags are better... but... C'est La Vie
Thank you; "federal chain of supermarkets" explains it. Otherwise, private companies probably couldn't afford to have computers throughout the store, for customers to make their own price labels for fresh produce.

In the 90's, there were a few places that had "modern" self-serve grocery stores/supermarkets. An Icelandic company had opened one in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski. They even had regular "Western" grocery carts for shoppers. No storage lockers, though. I've never seen those. An American in Khabarovsk who worked for a canned-goods company in Seattle opened a supermarket, and trained local people to staff it. So there were isolated cases of this type of "modernization".

Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:

I'm blown away.

One of the first food stores I remember was in Belgorod on Koneva st south across the river from the city. It was SMALL and stuffed with people but it was crammed with everything they could get into it. A lot of product I was not familiar with. Another one downtown not far from the main square was bigger but still not as big as what I'm seeing today all over Russia. I remember i walked into a farmers market in Moscow not far from Belarus Voksal and there were cow and pigs heads on a table. Not to mention other bits. It grossed me out bigtime. There was another market with huge sturgeon on slabs on Avtozavodskaya.

In Smolenck, Voronezh, Gomel, Minck they all had smaller stores scattered around the cities. I can see how this can be a headache when it comes to distribution, especially in winter. Shortages will happen simply because the trucks can't get to the stores in adverse weather. There was also not a lot of advertising outside the stores, no big signs and on a dingy street back in the 1990s you might just walk right by a magazine. The little mom and pop eateries/kiosks were everywhere and that's usually what I ate out of since I was rarely able to cook.

What struck me was the amount of juices available as opposed to the sodas (pepsi, coke and the like). I got addicted to Watermelon juice, carrot juice and the juice they use for pickling stuff.

I think Russia is getting just as bad as we are here in America when it comes to garbage too.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:

Several times I've set up projects with a partner in Russia, only to see the funding on the Russia side get misdirected to someone in Moscow's regional crony, or otherwise embezzled. One was a major project, with funding coming from Canada, and matching funds set up by the Yakut government, on behalf of one of the smaller Native nations there. The people appointed to administer the fund robbed it blind. And the project was to benefit their own people, it was going to be a dream come true.
Things like this do happen all over the world. The big question is whether it can be prosecuted or not. I remember a long time ago a "think tank" or "blue ribbon panel" whichever you want to call it was hired to "study" the Theafoss water way modernization project in Tacoma Wa. They were given a large amount of money (5 million?) to do what was necessary with a time limit (5 years?). All expenses were taken out of this account including their pay. There was 4 people in this group. It seems that over a period of 3 to 4 years this "blue ribbon panel" produced nothing but managed to spend that 5 million. Over 50% of their expendatures was their salaries. One restaurant owner (The Harvester in the old town) said they would be in his restaurant most mornings, all morning doing nothing. The owner of The Dock bar and grill (on the Theafoss Waterway) had been given great promises on most evenings, all evening long by these upstanding individuals.

In the end the city got NOTHING from these people. They hired one development "firm" at the beginning but that place walked away when they didn't get paid. Everybody lawyered up and in the end the city just bent over and took the loss. The Theafoss waterway still looks like crap to this day 20 years later.

I can see why Stalin did some of the things he did. Maybe they were richly deserved in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe