Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Oh tweedy bird!!! Gun laws I some sates such as Texas (yeah) are tougher than in Germany.
The reality is that the USA has amongst the most lax gun laws in the world. Look at the carnage each year via gunshot. I have been invited to live in the USA by companies and refused because of two points:
  1. The gun laws
  2. No NHS.
Quote:
To me my what currently is in the garage which is determined by if it can carry a rifle case or not. ))))
That is sad.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I see absolutely no reason for an American to envy the European lifestyle. Almost everything is cheaper here, we have much better gun rights.
Wow! How sad. You need to get your mind right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But the reasons you like the US are some of the reasons why many Americans don't - gun laws being the prime example. Europeans likewise do not envy Americans because of their lenient gun laws because we don't want that type of culture here.
I will fight any attempt to introduce such a culture. Our police do not carry guns. I really like that.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Plugged to Fox News and World Report.

Cheaper? Trash is cheaper, trashy clothes, trashy plywood homes, trashy junk food, industrialised food.

Good things are more expensive. Good, family-owned restaurants have a similar prince, very good family-owned restaurants using fresh ingredients, as expensive as here. Expensive and "fancy" restaurants, not chains, they are as expensive.

Good clothing is more expensive, except American brands.

Gun licence? What for? Problems with you mother in-law?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you know, there aren't that many home invasions in Europe. No need to arm and barricade oneself in one's home.

Yeah, and the corporations' stranglehold on life in the US, and all their propagandizing that there's no such thing as global warming, it's not caused by human activities, blah blah, isn't near-totalitarian? Auto and petroleum industries buying up entire cities' public transit systems, replacing electric trolleys and trains with gas-fueled buses, cutting service, and selling people on the "convenience" of private autos, wasn't near-totalitarian? (See history, 1950's)

The reason the Green Party is strong in Europe is that there's a higher percentage of highly educated people there, and science (not *muffled laugh* "creationism") is what people base their decisions on.
When I was starting out in full time working I was sent by my company to Prague which was behind the dreaded Iron Curtain. I was impressed with the way they preserved culture and history and the range and quality of the beers. A few months later I went on a holiday in he USA driving coast to coast and back. I was appalled that a continent had about 4 poor quality beers in the whole place and all lagers. It was a beer no-go zone. The corporations dictated what you ate and drank, morso than in these so-called public controlled countries.

Since my bad experience to my delight I have found that the emergence of micro-breweries in the USA has transformed the brewing industry with a superb range of beers and ales. The 1970s backpackers doing Europe made an impression

Recently Germany produced 50% of its electricity via renewable sources. That is a fantastic achievement.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Wow! How sad. You need to get your mind right.
I will fight any attempt to introduce such a culture. Our police do not carry guns. I really like that.
I can only imagine the LAPD going into a neighborhood like Watts or South Central Los Angeles armed with batons. This is the perfect example of what I am talking about- irrational political correctness.

Very European way of thinking though. It does not have to make any logical or rational sense, as long as it is politically correct.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:45 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Gun licence? What for? Problems with you mother in-law?
Another perfect example of someone who has no understanding of guns and what they are for. There are places here in the USA where you are about 50 miles away from any type of civilization- West Texas, some parts of New Mexico come to mind.

If someone tries to break into you house or steal your property, what are you going to do? Call the police?

Also, I have been in situations where I was in very remote areas in some National Parks where I was literally 1 hour away from any type of help, no cell phone reception. Having a gun in a place like that sometimes maybe the difference between living or dying.

Alaska is the perfect example of a place where you would be stupid not to own a gun.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Another perfect example of someone who has no understanding of guns and what they are for. There are places here in the USA where you are about 50 miles away from any type of civilization- West Texas, some parts of New Mexico come to mind.

If someone tries to break into you house or steal your property, what are you going to do? Call the police?

Also, I have been in situations where I was in very remote areas in some National Parks where I was literally 1 hour away from any type of help, no cell phone reception. Having a gun in a place like that sometimes maybe the difference between living or dying.

Alaska is the perfect example of a place where you would be stupid not to own a gun.
And keep your guns, where's the problem?
I don't have one, I don't need one and I don't want one.
In Europe there's no such culture (and Europe is far less politically correct than the US) and we don't want it.
Do you like it? Keep it but don't try to shove it down our throat as if it were necessary or vital.
In Italy guns are fewest, yet in the motherland of Mafia, facts like the school shooting in Connecticut has never taken place and I'm likely to feel safer than you.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:

I have mixd feelings about gun control in America, and really there is no chance to change the way things are there. I have no problem with tighter regulation though.

I grew up with guns, have owned several and shooting is kind of fun, I did my time in the US Army Infantry, I used to ride enduros way into the desert often near the Mexican boarder and always was well armed out there. I lived for a while in a bad part of San Diego and carried if I went out at night- once I walked around a corner and suprised a couple of dudes making a deal- one pulled a knife out- I pulled out my gun and he backed off.

I am glad to now live where the people are not armed to the teeth and I have never felt any need or desire to own a gun here. There is nowhere in Europe where I would feel the need to be armed. I cannot say that about the USA.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Some , -most of them uneducated people and the less-travelled-do, believing Hollywood = American lifestyle.
But contrary to the 50 's 60's 70's and maybe early 80's, most Europeans don't envy it anymore, partly because European societies themselves are more and more americanized, but partly too because since a few decades American has been tumbling from its pedestal of an idealized beacon of progess and happiness...

Old 08-13-2014, 06:06 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
The mask of America is slipping. You're not fooling anybody. Never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.