Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a gun lobby marketing ploy that you have fallen for. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". It's a very effective fear-mongering slogan. Congratulations. You've joined the lemmings. Corporate America wins again!

Quite the contrary, I am very educated on the subject of guns and my opinions are based on facts, not some wishy washy Liberal BS. The illegal arm trade worldwide is a 60 billion a year business.

Some of the largest gun manufactures in the world, like Smith and Wesson make about 30 million a year in profit.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Quite the contrary, I am very educated on the subject of guns and my opinions are based on facts, not some wishy washy Liberal BS. The illegal arm trade worldwide is a 60 billion a year business.

Some of the largest gun manufactures in the world, like Smith and Wesson make about 30 million a year in profit.
Then why don't you share the facts on how the US has the highest death rate by firearm in the world.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

And you support them! What a sucker.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Then why don't you share the facts on how the US has the highest death rate by firearm in the world.
Well, come on - that isn't exactly true.

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...oss-countries/

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VODRyTnc#gid=0

Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
It's very close to the top of the list for first world countries.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And you support them! What a sucker.
You are the one who apparently believe in all the anti gun Liberal, Left Wing BS propaganda.

I am proud supporter of the Second Amendment because so many Americans died for these rights and freedoms-rights and freedoms that most Europeans simply do not have.

Suckers in my opinion are people who willingly surrender their gun rights and freedoms to some paternalistic, Big government nanny state.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Finland is often referred to on the P&OC forums as we have the 3rd most guns per capita in Western countries after the US and Switzerland, but we have an extremely low amount of gun violence. So perfectly fits the "people kill, not guns" -theme. The difference is that we don't have a "gun culture", 90% of these guns are hunting rifles or to a lesser degree sports pistols. All automatic guns, like self-reloading weapons (by gas or force like recoil) are banned completely, you have to go through a psychiatric evaluation and a police interview before you get a permit. To add, you have to prove your membership in a hunting or sports club to get the permit. If you go flashing around with a gun in public, you'll quicky have a SWAT team on your ass, and under no circumstances are you allowed to lend the weapon to anyone who hasn't a gun permit.

Shooting home invaders with your gun leads to a manslaugher or murder charge, (10 years to death) and most people are quite scared of guns. They don't want anything to do with them, and people who have the right to own guns are very few and priviledged, often having multiple firearms that brings up the total tally. The guns are always locked away somewhere out of sight, and you definitely don't boast with your guns, or shoot bottles for fun, which is highly illegal. The thing "right to carry" doesn't exist. You're only allowed to transport the gun (disassembled) from place A to B. Usually the hunting club storage facility to the forest.

So despite the large number of guns, they are extremely tightly regulated, and you definitely can't buy a pink AR-15 for your daugher on her 8th birthday.

I fired my assault rifle more than enough during my conscription, and I think shooting is boring. I think most people agree with this.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Shooting home invaders with your gun leads to a manslaugher or murder charge, (10 years to death) and most people are quite scared of guns.
So, if some bastard breaks into your home, rapes your wife and you try to do something to stop it. You go to jail for 10 years. Ok, that makes a lot of sense. NOT

Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times
Quote:
So, if some bastard breaks into your home, rapes your wife and you try to do something to stop it. You go to jail for 10 years. Ok, that makes a lot of sense. NOT
Not if he tries rapes your wife because it's self defense.. You are comparing material damage with human damage, it's not the same thing. Laws are very precise, you can't argue putting a random example like that.
For example what happened to the German teenager shot because he was walking in a neighbor garage in the US would end with the shooter in jail for many decades in Europe. If the guy is threatening you and try to harm you, an inquiry will be made, and if the level of threatening is consider enough it'll be considered self defense.

People making themselves the law end with a police with military equipment, with no-knock warrants, who kill innocents because those innocents thought the policemen were "home invaders" and tried to shoot them.

Anyway it's an endless debate. Most Americans put private property above human life, it's the inverse in Europe, end of the story.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:13 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
You most certainly don't have any training in (European; in the sense of one of the national ones) law. Because stopping someone from raping your wife won't get you in prison in Europe. We have pretty solid self defense laws here.

That said, I had training on multiple guns like Glocks, Steyr AUGs, Browning M2s and some 30mm Mauser guns (like pretty much half of the male population). And to be honest, that just reinforced my view that civilians without formal training shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun. Being part of the reserve and having multiple guns for my personal use at a base, I wouldn't even apply for a gun permit in Austria (which is quite easy btw.). I just don't see any use for it.

Last edited by viribusunitis; 08-13-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe