Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 03:18 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
Why did this have to turn into a boring car discussion?
Someone mentioned SUV. But you can still steer it back on track Lamb!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:57 PM

217 posts, read 277,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Someone mentioned SUV. But you can still steer it back on track Lamb!
Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Bloody Americans.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 PM

What i dont understand is why so many Americans live in wooden houses when theres hurricanes all the time over there? And even if there werent, a wooden house just wouldnt appeal to me.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Bloody Americans.
I'd always wondered if the British really did use the word "bloody" as an adjective in their day to day language, now I know.

I really am curious to know more about the typical western European lifestyle. I think it's a bit misleading for people to categorize American lifestyle vs the European lifestyle. Yes, America is vast and has very different regions, but Europe is even more diverse with not just different accents but different languages and thousands of years of history.

Comparing the American lifestyle to Western Europeans would probably yield more accurate comparisons. I'm still curious on what the typical western European lifestyle is like, but not curious enough to want to live it. I have a feeling that I do enjoy a life of relative comfort and ease in the States, with plenty of space and plenty of freedoms. Things are cheap here, and good wages can be attained if you have the education or skill set.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Any suggestions?
What is American Lifestyle? What fills the criteria? Who's the judge? I don't know. Do you?

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
What i dont understand is why so many Americans live in wooden houses when theres hurricanes all the time over there? And even if there werent, a wooden house just wouldnt appeal to me.
I don't understand why people live in New Orleans when the city is below sea level.

But if a wooden house wouldn't appeal to you, what would? A stone or brick house? The areas of the United States that are susceptible to hurricanes are vast. Pretty much all the way from Corpus Christi Texas all the way up to New York City, that's over 3,000 miles of coastline and over 100 million people. You're going to have some poorer people in those areas who can't afford much more than a standard "wooden" house, but you're also going to have plenty of wealthier people who have homes that can sustain hurricane force winds.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd always wondered if the British really did use the word "bloody" as an adjective in their day to day language, now I know.

I really am curious to know more about the typical western European lifestyle. I think it's a bit misleading for people to categorize American lifestyle vs the European lifestyle. Yes, America is vast and has very different regions, but Europe is even more diverse with not just different accents but different languages and thousands of years of history.

Comparing the American lifestyle to Western Europeans would probably yield more accurate comparisons. I'm still curious on what the typical western European lifestyle is like, but not curious enough to want to live it. I have a feeling that I do enjoy a life of relative comfort and ease in the States, with plenty of space and plenty of freedoms. Things are cheap here, and good wages can be attained if you have the education or skill set.
Im curious why youre curious but not enough to live it, at least temporarily? Also, Americans often talk about 'their' freedoms, and i wonder what freedoms you think you have that apparently the rest of the world doesnt? Because i find it hard to think of something in which id be more limited than the average American, but i can think of examples of the opposite.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I don't understand why people live in New Orleans when the city is below sea level.

But if a wooden house wouldn't appeal to you, what would? A stone or brick house? The areas of the United States that are susceptible to hurricanes are vast. Pretty much all the way from Corpus Christi Texas all the way up to New York City, that's over 3,000 miles of coastline and over 100 million people. You're going to have some poorer people in those areas who can't afford much more than a standard "wooden" house, but you're also going to have plenty of wealthier people who have homes that can sustain hurricane force winds.
Well most of the country i live in is below sea level, so that part doesnt really shock me. And yes, a stone or brick house. In here there basically are no wooden houses, rich or poor, your house is going to be able to take some wind.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
What is American Lifestyle? What fills the criteria? Who's the judge? I don't know. Do you?
No, but then again, what is European lifestyle? Were talking about over 30 countries, all quite distinct, and with very different lifestyles in a lot of cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe