Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 PM

37 posts, read 32,707 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am currently in Graduate School in the states for a Computer Science/Composition/Sound Design combined degree. I will be graduating soon and will have to choose where I want to live for foresee-ably the rest of my life. I have an American/European dual citizenship and I have always liked the atmosphere in Europe, the people, the culture, etc... more than in America. Not to mention I make electronic music and classical music and most people in America I have met have no interest in this so I see no real way of me making a living off of that. My computer science knowledge can obviously come in anywhere so that isn't really an issue.

Examples of the kind of music I make/listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umZgVivnE6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov0FAPhRK0c

I am essentially looking for a place with a nice quality of life for a young male and open minded views on music with civilized and educated people. I also happen to have a thing for blonde women with blue eyes . After looking at a lot of countries like Australia, Austria, Germany, etc... I have come to the conclusion that based off of what I have read, Sweden seems to be the right place for me. I initially wanted to try Vienna because of how beautiful the city is, but from what I have read the people are supposedly cold and it is a city better suited for an older crowd, not somebody in his early 20s. However, I have indeed heard some unappealing things about Sweden like how people think that strangers talking to them is weird and the "overly liberal to the point that any confrontation is considered bad" mentality that seems abundant there. I feel like these traits might make it hard for me to make friends since I am a naturally opinionated person and I tend to meet a lot of my now friends by talking to random people I come across.

So do you guys think Sweden is the right place for what I am looking for? And if so, where in Sweden?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
What is your other nationality? It's hard to take anyone seriously if he says "I have a European citizenship".

You'll never live from EDM in Sweden, though the scene is strong. Well, except if you're a eurotrashtrance DJ.

Scandinavians don't like to yap their mouth all the time, but that doesn't mean they're unfriendly or don't like you, the culture is just different from the American one.

Dunno if you're familiar with CBL, but they're from Sweden. Like them a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8wUHZ6edc

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-18-2014 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Just my 2 cents: I wouldn't base my decision on where to live for the rest of my life on the opinion of some people on city-data. Most of those people that are eager to spread those stereotypes you mentioned in your post never left their cozy home in Minnesota.

Since you don't seem to know much about the places you mentioned, just visit them.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM

I'm Romanian but born in the USA. I'm just asking for advice.

None of what is posted, included Carbon Based Lifeforms (I really like them too, good post) is EDM, it's IDM but yea I don't plan on living on it, just want to live somewhere where other people have similar musical interests to a degree. In America I've met like maybe 2 people that actually like this kind of stuff, everybody else pretty much exclusively likes Pop or Dubstep/Trap/EDM. And being able to get some extra money with maybe getting a few DJ gigs or collabs going would be great.

@viribusunitis I agree, I'm just looking for some extra insight. Even just visiting is costly and I'd like to make sure I choose wisely where to visit.

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-18-2014 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
In order to get a job in Sweden, you pretty much need to know Swedish. Do lots of research before you make a decision.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In order to get a job in Sweden, you pretty much need to know Swedish. Do lots of research before you make a decision.
Do I need to be fluent? I have no qualms taking language lessons, I have a bit of time before i have to decide anyway.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:41 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
Do I need to be fluent? I have no qualms taking language lessons, I have a bit of time before i have to decide anyway.
It's hard to get a job if you're not functional in Swedish to the point that you can fit in, follow instructions, discuss work projects, etc. That's pretty fluent, and would involve your learning tech vocab (job-related vocab), along with basic, daily living vocab.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:46 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
Think about the jobs José from Oaxaca would get when he moves to the US without speaking English.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Think about the jobs José from Oaxaca would get when he moves to the US without speaking English.
Well I'd be a holder of a graduate degree from the number 1 school in the world in my niche field that is in very high demand, and on top of that most American businesses actually pretty much double everything in Spanish now. And almost all businessman are required to know Spanish and Chinese, not to mention from what I've read Sweden is the 2nd most fluent in English as a second language country in the world. So I don't really appreciate the comparison. However, I understand what you two are saying and I will definitely keep that as a big consideration and try to see what jobs I can get early and what their requirements are. I know three languages at the moment fairly fluently so I don't think learning a new one would be too hard, just time consuming.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
There are blondes in France, and the language is a lot closer to Romanian. If you don't like Germanic cultures, you're not going to like Sweden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe