Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 05:18 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
You are confused. Remember, historically America was settled by a majority of Whites who were of Northern and Western European descent. Thus Italians who are Southern Europeans were on average of darker pigmentation in comparison to them, that's where the "dark" or "swarthy" Italian stereotype comes in. This doesn't mean there weren't Italians who were red/blond/light-haired, blue-eyed, etc...! John Travolta is of Italian but also Irish descent I believe, not a good example.
What was perceived as the typical Italian are like;
Alessandro Nesta

Luca Argentero

Bernado Corradi
Most people I know here have lighter skin than these guys honestly. Only the second guy is very typical for me.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:39 PM

52 posts, read 76,642 times
Me too Argentero isn't swarthy, he's white.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
The Italian "dark stereotype" is not an American invention either.
Scientific proof by the 2012 GWAS study on pigmentation in four European populations (Irish, Italian, Polish, Portuguese) when comparing averages for skin, hair and eye colours:
* Skin colour (lightest to darkest):
Irish
Polish
Portuguese
Italian
*Hair colour:
Irish
Polish
Portuguese
Italian
*Eye colour
Irish
Polish
Italian
Portuguese
So overall the Northern Europeans (Irish, Polish) were on average lighter than Southern Europeans (Italian, Portuguese). This doesn't mean that Italians or Portuguese who are lighter-pigmented weren't present. Thus let's not blame it on Americans, just for the sake of it.
Skin color it's the same when you say that the a American on height average in USA is on the height average in Italy (question of some millimeters).A white pale person in Italy remains a white pale person in America, in Ireland or in Poland.

I can add here millions and millions who are white pale from south Italy too. But it remains the theme of the topic : Italians are taller than the Americans (and the Austrians and Polishes for the men and the Swiss for the women and a lot of european peoples too for example) and they are among the tallest people in the world. I never get bored to say that.

Just see the national Italian team of football or the national Italian of basketball to have an idea and after that see the national German team for the example with all the bi/trinational players.

Last edited by Anarion; 01-20-2017 at 04:26 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 04:52 AM

I'd like to see all these giant italians because I still feel pretty average here and I'm not even really tall. Sure there are many tall people but i'm taller than plenty of guys I know or see in the street.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Maybe because you are on the average or maybe below (that was it called an average) but you're probably taller than the American height average . Personnally I'm normal-tall, I'm above the Italian height average and indeed/de facto the Americans height average. Maybe you are more than 30 years old. Just see our sports national teams to have an idea.

https://elifesciences.org/content/5/e13410 if you want see the results of this analysis.

Last edited by Anarion; 01-20-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM

I don't think the average sports team of a country is always representative of the population. For reference, just look at the French football team where half of the players are african / carribean / maghrebian.

And I'm over 30 years old, but hey, half of the Italian population is over 40, right ?

Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I don't think the average sports team of a country is always representative of the population. For reference, just look at the French football team where half of the players are african / carribean / maghrebian.

And I'm over 30 years old, but hey, half of the Italian population is over 40, right ?
In Italy, our national sportiv team are rappresentative of the population. Except maybe El Shaarawy in football (with part of Egyptian and Swiss origins, on the other hand Jorginho is Brazilian at the beginning but with Italian ancestors), Melli and Hackett in basketball (American origins) same in volleyball where we have 90% of players who are Italian origins.

Like half population of UK, France, Germany (maybe in Germany is more than half population).

It's because it changes if you take the population older than 30 years old especially if you take the person from the 30's, 40's and 50's, they are smaller because Italy suffered the famine after the second WW.

Today Italians are among the tallest people in the world. Facts are facts.

Last edited by Anarion; 01-20-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Even if all players are of italian origin, it is obvious that players in a collective sport would be taller than the average person because it is necessary. Of course you can still play in the national football team if you're 1,70m tall, but most players will certainly be taller than the national average.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
I think southern Italian men are shorter, northern taller...

I also think they make up for lack of height by being stockier, big boned.

Are there stats of "stockiness" of various Europeans.

Like, Bulgarians are the stockiest, good weight lifters

Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Even if all players are of italian origin, it is obvious that players in a collective sport would be taller than the average person because it is necessary. Of course you can still play in the national football team if you're 1,70m tall, but most players will certainly be taller than the national average.
As you say in football it's not necessary to be tall. It's written nowhere that the players of collective sport are taller than the average.

One more time, Italians are taller than the Americans and the half european countries. They are amongst the tallest people in the world. If you can't trust a very serious study that makes analysis on period of approximately hundred years like Elifesciences, I can't do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe