Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times

Advertisements

Switzerland seems to be largely free of many problems other countries have. Its economy is doing strong, unemployment low, the four linguistic groups don't see to be fighting (unlike in Spain or Canada or Belgium), quality of life is very high, deficit is low, high income, low tax, and people seem to be all well taken care of.

The country also seems to punch well above its weight for a population of 8M - the size of a large city and much smaller than even Portugal or Greece. The Swiss franc feels like a high sought after safe heaven.

Is Switzerland that perfect? What are its issues and problems that the world don't seem to be aware of?

Last edited by botticelli; 11-19-2014 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,738,024 times
It's too perfect and kitschy to be interesting to me.

They suffer from an overly strong currency, there is a growing nationalist and xenophobic trend. Not everything is as perfect as it might seem from the distance...

Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's too perfect and kitschy to be interesting to me.

They suffer from an overly strong currency, there is a growing nationalist and xenophobic trend. Not everything is as perfect as it might seem from the distance...
of course I know it is not perfect. That's why I am asking.

Being nationalist and xenophobic is a matter of perspective. It can be completely harmless as long as the country doesn't attack others. Countries should not be all expected to be open and racially diverse - they should have the right to close their door to others if it is what they think the best way to manage their country. Nothing wrong with that. Not every country has to function like US, Canada or Australia welcoming immigrants with open arms.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM

123 posts, read 185,212 times
Although Switzerland has problems, especially fear of everything from outside Switzerland, their public transport system is heaven on earth.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:58 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Switzerland is expensive, even for the Swiss. A friend of mine who works as a nurse, normally a well-paying job, at least in the US, struggled to be able to afford a trip to Geneva for a holiday weekend. She rarely can afford to travel around the country. She saves her money for one foreign vacation/year, and that's her big treat. Seems a little sparse for a nurse.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,144 times
I know people who call it Suicideland, because it's sterile as sterile is!!!

Just type on google Switzerland is depressing or Switzerland is boring, you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
let's see:

eating cats
xenophobia
no control over gun purchases
stole money from the jews

...yeah perfect country...

Just because it has high salaries and clean streets doesn't mean it's a Paradise. At least compare it to something like....Monaco. What's this obsession with nazism anyway?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:12 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
let's see:

eating cats
xenophobia
no control over gun purchases
stole money from the jews

...yeah perfect country...

Just because it has high salaries and clean streets doesn't mean it's a Paradise. At least compare it to something like....Monaco. What's this obsession with nazism anyway?
?!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,018,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
?!
Farmers in Switzerland routinely EATING cats and dogs with their meals | Daily Mail Online

it's the daily mail of course...the worst con. bull**** on the planet BUT i got other source it's not just them.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:33 PM

221 posts, read 343,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I know people who call it Suicideland, because it's sterile as sterile is!!!

Just type on google Switzerland is depressing or Switzerland is boring, you'll see what I mean.
This is typical City-Data logic. Countries where things work are considered sterile, boring, suicidal and depressing. Chaotic countries in warmer climates are exciting, positive and people have fun all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe