Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:34 PM

546 posts, read 547,253 times

Advertisements

43 years ago, I visited Naples Italy while serving aboard the USS Independence. One of the favorite places I ate at was a Pizza restaurant that served brick oven pizzas. Twice I ordered a pizza that came without tomato sauce, and I believe it may have had olive oil over the cheese. My memory of that time has worn thin, but I remembered the restaurant as being on the second floor of a large building and it was within walking distance of the pier, probably less than a mile. The pier that we used was the one close to the Castle Nuovo.

Does anyone here remember that restaurant, or more importantly, what was that type of pizza and its ingredients? I'd love to try and replicate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM

546 posts, read 547,253 times
I Googled "Naples, Italy White Pizza" and low and behold, there was the pizzaria I have been looking for! It's called "Pizzaria Trianon Da Ciro". I also noticed quite a number of recipes and such on white pizza on the Google search page. It may be impossible to make a good facsimile of this pizza though, because their flour and cheeses come only from the Naples area, the cheese being made from water buffalo that graze near Mt. Vesuvius. It seems that in order for pizza to be a true Neapolitan pizza, there is a stringent guideline for the pizza shop to follow.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
Call them up and offer to open a location in your town. Insist they do deliveries.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
I don't think white pizza is Neapolitan. Neapolitan pizza has a strict list of ingredients, and white pizza wouldn't fit the criteria.

I don't think I've ever seen white pizza in Naples anyways (been there three times), while it seems to be in every other pizzeria in NYC. Are you sure it's even true Italian pizza?

Weird thing I find about pizza in Italy- Naples has great pizza, but honestly, the average pizza outside of Campania is worse than the average pizza in NYC, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires. I think the immigrant communities in New World cities have better iterations of pizza than in 90% of Italy.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
I went to naples once. They don't know sh*t about pizza! all italians should be forced to try out chicago's finest

Old 02-15-2015, 03:50 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Real pizza follows quite strictly rules, in particular the "Verace Pizza Napoletana" (= "true Naples pizza")

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/publi...02008%20UK.pdf
Neapolitan pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are really few places that do pizza like this, also in Italy.

Personally speaking, so that I'm not from Naples, I'm a little less strict about those rules. However I would never consider "pizza" recipes really different from the original one, like the Chicago style. It could also be the best-tasting version (hypothesis), but that is not a real pizza.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
That type of pizza is widely available everywhere, and called foccaccia. Generally, foccaccia is more a type of bread, but some prepare it as pizza.

Quite delicious, mainly when eaten out of the oven.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,307 times
Focaccia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Focaccia is a really generic term, it could refer to really different stuffs (for example at my place the focaccia is sweet).
However the most common variant of focaccia is just topped with olive oil, salt and some rosemary. Instead the "white pizza" that Trumpethim has described has cheese and oil on it, so it is not exactly the same thing.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
google 'pizza bianca' for recipes and more info

La Piazza PHX in Phoenix has a version of it.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Weird thing I find about pizza in Italy- Naples has great pizza, but honestly, the average pizza outside of Campania is worse than the average pizza in NYC, Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires. I think the immigrant communities in New World cities have better iterations of pizza than in 90% of Italy.
Agreed, pizza outside of Campania is a world away from the original one, even inside Italy, that is unless the cook is Neapolitan and knows where to buy the ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe