Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Denmark, the party country for Scandinavians?

That seemed to be the impression I got. At least for Swedes and possibly Norwegians as well. Why is that? Solely because of the alcohol prices? Or is there something else going on in Denmark/Copenhagen, that makes it really desireable for Scandinavians to party and drink there?

Is it mostly just quite young Scandinavians? Like college students? Or Swedes/Norwegians of all ages like to get down to Denmark to get their drink on?

And why? Or did I completely get the wrong impression while in Scandinavia about Denmark being the place to get their booze, and such. There seemed to be an implication that Swedes/Norwegians would drive all the way down there, fill up their cars with booze as it was cheap, or something was quite attractive about doing that?

Any clear ups? And how are the bars/clubs comparatively, that might make it worth staying a few days for Swedes/Norwegians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:50 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Well, right now few people are partying in Denmark. They're in shock and mourning for the loss of the sense of security that everyone grew up with, and for two lives lost to terrorism.

But aside from that, Sweden has restrictions on where you can buy alcohol, and how much. Not sure about Norway. So it isn't like they come to Denmark for partying in particular, but mainly to stock up on beer. Alcohol in restaurants/bars is pretty expensive in Denmark, and alcohol is taxed heavily. That being said, it is a popular pastime for young Southern Swedes to sail across the Sound to Denmark, or take the train across the bridge top Copenhagen, and have a night on the town. Especially in the summer the place to party is Dyrehavsbakken or just Bakken, a quaint seasonal amusement park in the woods in Klampenborg north of Copenhagen, incidentally one of the oldest documented sites for a carnival-type place in Europe. The midnight train back to Sweden is usually full of Swedes who have had a very good time at Bakken...

But it is also a fact that Danes, in general, are usually somewhat more laid back than Swedes, and to some extent also Norwegians, so that may be perceived as a party atmosphere for visitors.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Of course Scanians buy their alcohol from Denmark, because it's cheaper. For the same reasons Northern Norwegians buy theirs from Finnish Lapland, and Finns go to Tallinn.

But I see absolutely no reason why a person from Oslo, Bergen or Stockholm would spend a lot of money just to get to Denmark. At least for Stockholmians there's a better alternative.

I don't really see what Denmark would have to offer what you can't find in Norway or Sweden. As Clark Fork said, the people mainly go to stock on booze, not because the nightlife would be better.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
My girlfriend, who is Italian, went on a trip to Denmark in high school, so that was in the 90's, and said it was the most depressing place ever.

I've never been to Scandinavia myself so I have no clue but I have friends who have been to Sweden and Norway and said that when they asked their way to people, most people did not even reply, like they were afraid of them or something.

Conversely I have a friend who spent a year in Erasmus in Helskinki and said it was so safe that he could leave his bag in the street and come back two hours later and that it would still be there.

I'll have to find out !

Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 AM

221 posts, read 343,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There seemed to be an implication that Swedes/Norwegians would drive all the way down there, fill up their cars with booze as it was cheap, or something was quite attractive about doing that?
Norwegians mainly cross the border to Sweden for cheaper alcohol. The tiny border village of Strömstad has one of the largest liquor stores in Sweden because of all Norwegians coming there. Business is flourishing. Denmark is simply too far away for Norwegians just to buy booze and drive home again.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakral View Post
Norwegians mainly cross the border to Sweden for cheaper alcohol. The tiny border village of Strömstad has one of the largest liquor stores in Sweden because of all Norwegians coming there. Business is flourishing. Denmark is simply too far away for Norwegians just to buy booze and drive home again.
Yeah. It's 607 km from Oslo to Copenhagen. With these gas prices you have to buy a LOT of booze to win anything on it,, not to mention sitting 15 hours in a car that day.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 AM

221 posts, read 343,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah. It's 607 km from Oslo to Copenhagen. With these gas prices you have to buy a LOT of booze to win anything on it,, not to mention sitting 15 hours in a car that day.
We also have a number of ferry lines to Denmark, but time and extra costs of bringing a car just doesn't make it worthwhile for the booze alone. Even without a car it would be little to gain unless you combine it with an extra reason of going there.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:25 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times
here many drive to denmark, take the ferry to the northernmost border-towns in germany and buy massive quantities of alcohol. often with an overnight stay.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:56 AM

54 posts, read 60,406 times
Another Scandinavia thread? It really starting to bore me.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
My girlfriend, who is Italian, went on a trip to Denmark in high school, so that was in the 90's, and said it was the most depressing place ever.

I've never been to Scandinavia myself so I have no clue but I have friends who have been to Sweden and Norway and said that when they asked their way to people, most people did not even reply, like they were afraid of them or something.

Conversely I have a friend who spent a year in Erasmus in Helskinki and said it was so safe that he could leave his bag in the street and come back two hours later and that it would still be there.

I'll have to find out !
I've heard those things, but they were untrue, in my experience.

One of things I quite liked about Denmark, Sweden, Norway, is that I could approach anyone, and they'd quickly speak back to me in fluent English. They generally seemed quite interested in me, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe