Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
UK 36 46.75%
Deustchland 41 53.25%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
because he's dead
Then you have no way to verify this information.

Look, I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that traditional German folk music was around, in various parts of what is now Germany, prior to the 1960s.

But I'm sure not going to waste any more time posting links to actual information for you to ignore. It's not even a big deal to me and in fact I made the "oompa music" remark in jest anyway.

But it IS traditional Germanic music. And it's spawn - Tejano - lives on right here. I can't seem to escape the accordian music!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM

Speaking of traditional German music, there's a really sweet movie that will leave you with a smile on your face about a German guy who's a member of a traditional German band, but he LOVES Louisiana zydecco music and ends up in the Louisiana swamps...I won't tell the story line but it's a good movie, definitely worth watching. It won about ten international awards.

Schultze Gets the Blues (2003) - IMDb

https://youtu.be/8oWc4BRssew

Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 PM

5,775 posts, read 11,414,822 times
KathrynA, I saw that movie 7 or 8 years ago but had forgotten the title. I agree it was a real good one, and if I remember correctly the rural hometown of Schultze was nowhere near the Alpine region, but in one of the eastern states of Germany. No shortage of traditional music in most rural towns in Germany, including the town where I lived for 3 years in the Rhön region (northeast corner of Bavaria) while I was in the US Army (40 years ago!).

Old 03-24-2015, 09:02 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Cost of living: Germany

Climate: Tie, both seem to be quite pleasant since they basically lack extremely hot weather.

Food: Northern German cuisine is probably the one I fancy the least in all of Europe. Seriously, I just don't get it. It's definitely getting a lot better in the south, though. Berlin, Munich and Hamburg all have pretty great restaurants, but London seems to be a bit more innovative. All in all, probably a tie.

Music: The UK. While I enjoy some classical music at times, I usually prefer more contemporary stuff. And modern German music is just rubbish.

Politics: Germany. But only because the UK's political scene is pretty much unbearable right now.

Cinema: There hasn't been a brilliant German film in ages.

Humor: UK. I wouldn't say the German's lack humor per se, but their comedians and kabarett artists suck big times.

Fashion: Tie.

Football: I kinda follow the Bundesliga, but only because we play "fantasy football" for money. Not really interested in it, though.

Landscape and nature: The UK. The Scottish highlands and Cornwall are pretty awesome overall. Germany seems to be pretty bland on the other hand. The Alps? Nah, the are mostly using the Austrian Alps as a backdrop.

Overall, I think I prefer the UK. Both countries are okay in my books, though.
The Lives of Others is probably my favorite film ever but that was like 9 years ago.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
KathrynA, I saw that movie 7 or 8 years ago but had forgotten the title. I agree it was a real good one, and if I remember correctly the rural hometown of Schultze was nowhere near the Alpine region, but in one of the eastern states of Germany. No shortage of traditional music in most rural towns in Germany, including the town where I lived for 3 years in the Rhön region (northeast corner of Bavaria) while I was in the US Army (40 years ago!).
I loved that movie! And I think you're right about his location.

I lived in central Germany, just thirty minutes from Frankfurt, and there was traditional music in abundance twenty years ago.

But not only that - when we went back for a visit three or four years ago, we went back to Aschaffenburg, which is definitely not a tourist town. Our first night there, we ate at the Wildermann Hotel, which has a restaurant that is very popular with the locals. As we were enjoying our meal, we were "treated" to live traditional German music.

So yep - it's pretty common to hear it there - or at least it has been my experience.

It's sort of cool though - sort of like hearing Tejano music at a Cinco de Mayo festival. It adds that zippidy doo da to the overall experience.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The Lives of Others is probably my favorite film ever but that was like 9 years ago.
That is a fantastic movie, one of my all time favorites.

I also like The Nasty Girl - I guess that one's about twenty five years old though.
The Nasty Girl (1990) - IMDb

And I also thought this was a clever movie:
Good Bye Lenin! (2003) - IMDb

I also really liked Downfall.
Downfall (2004) - IMDb

Old 03-25-2015, 05:08 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,861,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hmmmm, the positives of each in my opinion...

England:

Common language
Really cool history and historical sites
Beautiful villages and small towns
I really appreciate and enjoy British culture, humor, etc.
Mild climate with four seasons

Negatives - lots of rain, very crowded overall, sort of monotonous cuisine for my tastes (outside big metros)

Germany:

Lots of interesting history, great castle ruins
Beautiful natural scenery
I like the German people in general, especially those who live in the southern regions
I also like German food for the most part

Negatives - colder climate than I prefer, language difference, and I can't stand oompa oompa music! LOL

I wouldn't mind living in either country for awhile. Germany tugs at my heart and has a more melancholy feel to it - sort of "achingly beautiful" if that makes sense, while the UK seems more "like home" to me and is personally more invigorating, probably because I am more intrigued by it's history and culture.

You missed the rest of the UK.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
You missed the rest of the UK.
There's tons of the UK I haven't seen - I will freely admit that. I would love to go back for another visit and I probably will - several times. I haven't seen Scotland or Ireland at all, for that matter!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,417,085 times
Quote:
Speaking of traditional German music, there's a really sweet movie that will leave you with a smile on your face about a German guy who's a member of a traditional German band, but he LOVES Louisiana zydecco music and ends up in the Louisiana swamps...I won't tell the story line but it's a good movie, definitely worth watching. It won about ten international awards.

Schultze Gets the Blues (2003) - IMDb

https://youtu.be/8oWc4BRssew
I saw that movie about a year and half ago. It was good!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 AM

8,874 posts, read 8,471,348 times
Quote:
That is a fantastic movie, one of my all time favorites.

I also like The Nasty Girl - I guess that one's about twenty five years old though.
The Nasty Girl (1990) - IMDb

And I also thought this was a clever movie:
Good Bye Lenin! (2003) - IMDb

I also really liked Downfall.
Downfall (2004) - IMDb
Ikr? It's all sorts of amazing.

I've heard good things about Good Bye Lenin and Downfall as well. Haven't watched them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe