Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:53 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,374,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzes55 View Post
I'm Russian, live in Russia. For me personally, the economic situation, nothing has changed. Putin's attitude is very good, support him in everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Do not worry. Everything is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That would be more within the lines of Nemtzov ( the one who has been killed in Moscow recently) and other "libertarians" ( the kind of "opposition" in Russia that Washington admires so much, but Russians en mass have very little interest to back them.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
About the current economic situation.
Russian defaulted was only 17 years ago (1998). Too little time has passed. The deterioration of economic situation can not be reason for change of power (Putin) at the moment. I think that West is wrong with introduction of sanctions. West could not take into account subtleties of Russian mentality. Putin took the opportunity to accuse the West of intending to harm Russia. Aggression can not force to surrender Russians, on the contrary it excites even more. I think you need to stop calling Putin a gangster (US presidential candidates called recently), and begin to establish a constructive dialogue.
I'm so glad you are being such good Russian policy backers...You can sleep well tonight!!

We also know ALL you type is tracked by Russian control media "Watchers"..But the rest of the world realizes the "Vice" your leader put's his "Citizens" into
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 05:20 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm so glad you are being such good Russian policy backers...You can sleep well tonight!!

We also know ALL you type is tracked by Russian control media "Watchers"..But the rest of the world realizes the "Vice" your leader put's his "Citizens" into
Since you quoted me here as well -
I assure you that he is not "tracked by Russian control media"; a lot of Russians ( Maksim including) genuinely support Putin even though they understand the complexity of all the consequences of his rule.
The reasons they support him is not because they think he is all that great on domestic front, but;
#1 They don't see any viable alternative to replace him
and #2. They wouldn't want to "rock the boat" and have any internal disagreements when they perceive the external danger, as in "enemy at the gate."
The US involvement ( and all that followed in Ukraine) serves as a fair warning for Russians, and it's one of the major reasons why Putin has such wide support, particularly when it comes to his international politics.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,237,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Maksim, Putin IS a gangster as any gangster that got his wealth (and access to power) in the nineties. Putin is no exception. But unlike Russians who like to say "prove it" ( regarding his looted wealth and looted wealth of those surrounding Putin,) knowing that no one in Russia could prove it for a fact ( and those who could are already dead,) the Westerners ( in higher circles) have all the proofs they want and need.
And since they know that the well-being of current Russian ruling class is rooted in Western banking system, they don't see a point of negotiating with him as with the equal. They'd rather prefer to "show him his place," which becomes increasingly difficult for a number of reasons.
Putin was a gangster in the '90s and will be gangster after retirement, after presidential term. Now he is legitimate president of the Russian Federation. If Western official person insults Russian president, Russians will rage about it.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Yes, I sleep well tonight!!

Old 11-16-2015, 12:11 AM

667 posts, read 940,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No one knows, because Putin has total control over Russian press. He is officially "popular" but it would be suicide to be Russian and to not publicly support him, so we have no idea.
If you read what Russians write in online media and social media, you will have an impression that no-one really supports Putin.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Some people support, some does not. Some people are partially supported (in foreign policy).
By the way, it does not depend on education, income level or social status of the people.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,706,414 times
Well let's see how comrade Putin's Russia is faring today shall we? The Russian economy is in the toilet, the Ruble is weak, inflation is around 14% with no sign of oil prices increasing. Plus the corruption which seems to be endemic in Russia just seems to get worse.

Russia also has just recently been provisionally banned from all athletic competitions, including the Olympic games for widespread state sponsored doping and extortion.

With a record like this Putin should have been out on his a..e but his approval rating will probably increase. Go figure.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Well let's see how comrade Putin's Russia is faring today shall we? The Russian economy is in the toilet, the Ruble is weak, inflation is around 14% with no sign of oil prices increasing. Plus the corruption which seems to be endemic in Russia just seems to get worse.
I think, you don't understand what it means "economy is in the toilet" for Russians.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 AM

504 posts, read 465,725 times
It's pretty obvious how the vast majority of Russians feel about Putin, and it's understandable. The country has no democratic roots. No liberal DNA. It's less than three decades since it had the West living in fear through the cold war. Life there was without dignity (I saw it for my own eyes in 1988) but the country was feared through its military prowess.

Since then its been through a complete humiliation during Gorbachev's final months. I love the joke he told Thatcher:

"A couple are standing in an endless queue for vodka in the freezing cold. The man says to his wife "I've had enough - I'm going to find Gorbachev and strangle him". He returns after 5 minutes and the wife asks him why. "Because that queue is even longer than this one" he says.

Russia has not yet been through democratic puberty. It loves Putin simply because they see him as strong. The fact that most of the developed world see him as an utter clown doesn't bother them, even if they realise. He's like a pantomime act - with his staged ice hockey matches (always scores, of course!), riding horses with his top off (looking like a pin-up from a 1970s gay calendar) - it seems incredible that the Russian people take him seriously, but with a history of being manipulated, it seems nothing changes - even if there is a pretense of democracy. He doesn't bother about sanctions, as they can simply be portrayed as an attack from the West, and the Russian people swallow it without question. A people that withstood the siege of Stalingrad can cope without a few Western delicacies. Russia's GDP is only 75% of that of the UK, despite having nearly 2.5 times the population and vast resources. It is selling its resources at knock down prices to countries who manufacture and add all the value. A very dumb policy, but then Russia makes nothing the world wants to buy other than arms.

It's a shame, as the entire country's reputation is fast shadowing that of it's gangster leader. The athletic doping scandal - instead of taking it seriously, they hit out calling it "western propaganda". They pretend to be bombing ISIS in Syria when we know they are actually bombing anyone who is part of the opposition to Assad - and actually helping ISIS in the process. Their civilian airliner from Sharm is bombed out of the air, yet Putin pretends it's not the case and harasses the plane's operators instead (and the media obediently keep quite about the bomb). Russia's civilian airline safety record is appalling - not least because they always jump to blame someone or something rather than calmly analyse crashes so that lessons can be learned.

The Russian people need to grow up, politically, before the country can really advance and enjoy the benefits of a proper plurality. Whilst it allows itself to be lied to and manipulated by a completely biased media, its future is not bright. Which should be a worry to the rest of us.

Last edited by 640TAG; 11-16-2015 at 02:37 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Their civilian airliner from Sharm is bombed out of the air.
What do you mean? Air defense systems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe