Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 03:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
According to this other list Syrians are the 3rd largest migrant group. They were not in the list you were responding to. This list does not include refugees.

Rank Nationality Population (2016) % of foreign nationals

1 Turkey 1,492,580 14.9 2 Poland 783,085 7.8 3 Syria 637,845 6.4 4 Italy 611,450 6.1 5 Romania 533,660 5.3 6 Greece 348,475 3.5 7 Croatia 332,605 3.3 8 Bulgaria 263,320 2.6 9 Afghanistan 253,485 2.5 10 Russian Federation 245,380 2.4

The Syrians are temporary tho, as refugees they're not allowed to stay and by international law, have to go home as hostilities die down in Syria, which they are now. In addition German law is super strict about families esp. for refugees, and one of the major outcomes of 2017 election was basically that the Syrians are stripped of welfare but also can't work, can't bring families and can't stay there, and even tiny requests on forms have to be done in fluent German. So there's been a huge wave of "reverse flight" of Syrians out of Germany since fall 2017 and it's only picking up pace, my old associate when I did assignment in Germany years ago says the home minister, Seehoffer, has put deportations in overdrive for Afghans and other groups, while the Syrians have de-facto lost all rights to stay even if technically some may still have asylum. Angela Merkel lost so badly in the fall 2017 elections that she was basically stripped out of power, and even her own party hsa for practical purposes kicked her out, so Seehoffer is de-facto the one running the domestic policy of the country.

So the Syrians there all leaving either to Syria or Turkey, and those 2016 numbers for Syrians are already way outdated. Even the number of "Syrians" was way inflated to begin with since a ton of them were, Serbians or Albanian who posed as Syrians, the bean counters initially just called them Syrians out of laziness but it would have taken years to sort them out and the figures weren't ever really updated. It's gotten so harsh that the remaining Syrians are now paying the smugglers in a desperate bid to get out of Europe and either back home or to another Arab country, the only ones remaining are apparently Christians who say they'd face persecution in the regoin as a whole.
https://gpinvestigations.pri.org/syr...k-6fa9ef8242e3

As for the Turks, the pattern has actually been for the younger Turks incl. citizens to leave Germany because they have better opportunities in their home country or other countries of the region and feel more at home culturally, tho for some reason my contact said a ton of the ethnic Turks like going to Australia or some provinces in Canada, it's basically only a few older Turks remaining in Germany and the rest are assimilating, converting or whatever so not really maintaining their old identity. The Poles are still moving in huge numbers and that'll only accelerate due to Brexit and inability to move to UK, so soon the Poles and Romanians will be the top 2 groups, and apparently Russians are growing in numbers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I saw a news broadcast a while back that many Israeli people move back to Israel as well for obvious reasons. You would have though that Europe has learned from the past but obviously we haven't.

True but to fair about it, a lot of Israelis move back there from the US and Canada too, an old friend of mine in Texas did that 5 years ago. Israeli has a decent economy and good jobs for those who speak Hebrew, so it's not too surprising, economic reasons are main draw. And it's not like Israel is only country where this happens, if you're an American, Canadian or Aussie with a grandmother or grandfather from Poland, Italy, Greece, Germany, France, Sweden, Ireland, wherever, it's often very easy to get work and residence permits in the ancestor country, sometimes even fast track citizenship for the whole EU. This is a common thing for a lot of countries.

Old 03-02-2022, 01:18 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,465,786 times
I expect Europe to be in very bad shape.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:18 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I expect Europe to be in very bad shape.

And if you get hit by nuclear bomb I expect America to be in very bad shape. Stop criticizing our great continent, better stick to showing how un-british and un-mexican your country is.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I actually wonder if creating a mass refugee movement out of Ukraine was Russia main strategy, along with making oil prices higher. Most of those people will never return and the nationalists have more to fear than the pro Russian minority. Former Yugoslavia is a shell of its former self due to its best educated leaving and not returning. If Ukraine joined the EU it would see a mass exodus as happened in Poland and Romania. Over 15% of Romanian citizens live in Italy alone.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:59 AM

7,355 posts, read 4,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I actually wonder if creating a mass refugee movement out of Ukraine was Russia main strategy, along with making oil prices higher. Most of those people will never return and the nationalists have more to fear than the pro Russian minority. Former Yugoslavia is a shell of its former self due to its best educated leaving and not returning. If Ukraine joined the EU it would see a mass exodus as happened in Poland and Romania. Over 15% of Romanian citizens live in Italy alone.
No, I think Ukraine didn't think through their politics. Ukrainians did not see the ramifications from asking to join NATO and EU - war with Russia. They did not internalize that what happened to Poland - mass exodus - would happen to Ukraine.

Either way, EU membership or war, Ukraine always going to have a mass exodus to the west.

It does feel like the whole situation was manipulated by outside forces, I just don't know who.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe