Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
I think you have to explain exactly what you mean by Latin.

In Europe it means you speak a Latin language (French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian) or of Iberian or Italian descent while Latin in America means you are a Spanish speaker or from Latin America.

Not all Latin Americans look the same: some are pure Native, European, mestizo, or mulatto. I am of mestizo descent but in most Mediterranean countries, I could easily blend into the crowd to a degree, although Northern Italy was very picky and discriminatory to anyone who did not look Central European, they even discriminate against their fellow Italians from the Southern parts and Sicily!

Not that I disagree with what you went through in the UK, since I went through something similar due to my non-Northern European appearance.
Latin means from Latin America, and this is from my LatAm point of view since I am from that region, so that's why you don't have to tell me how diverse LatAm is

I'm racially ambiguous. I look like I'm from everywhere and nowhere. Depending on who you ask, I'm either southern Italian, light Mexican, 1/4 Okinawan Japanese, or "Paki" . To Latinos from Latin America, I'm either light Mexican, Chilean, Colombian, or brown Argentinian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 03:18 AM

426 posts, read 394,515 times
Hispanic Latinos from the US are usually white.

The only non-white I have ever seen was a Mexican-American that worked a long time ago at the US Embassy of Barcelona.

I have seen many black Americans, but not non-white hispanics.

Since the ones I have met had a Basque or Galician last name, I assume they were descendants of Spanish migrants.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
American Latinos I have seen around are white, they are perceived as American. Never seen American Latinos as in movies. Sometimes arrives a couple of some white person married to somebody that could be Mexican, in the last case, she was a filipino woman.

Since many Americans speak Mexican, people do not know. Friendly people and heavy tippers and very sociable.
That's why we call them White Hispanics in America. Some Hispanics are not White, rather multiracial or Black.

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-21-2016 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Considering spending a month in either Barcelona, Berlin, or Milan. I know there is a migrant crisis going on and I perhaps might be perceived as a migrant in some cases because of my skin color though I'm pretty distinctly Latino looking. I'm just worried about being profiled and being mistreated because of it?
Not really. You might be seen as a foreigner, but no one will actually come up to you, unless there are some skinheads or groups of the sort which are more common in East Europe. You know, one thing you have to learn is that racism varies from country to country, it is not always overt many times it's quite subtle. Yes, you could be perceived as a migrant, if you are dark, but not everyone is going to treat you bad! Most people are civilized.

Not all Europeans look like Lily Donaldson

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-21-2016 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Off topic copyrighted pictures

Old 03-21-2016, 02:01 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Latin means from Latin America, " .
I find this definition quite strange. Qualifying ad "latin" only people from latin-america is just forgeting that the word "america" has a major importance when defining the concept of "latin-america"...
It seems to me like calling "anglos" only to english speaking peoples of the americas and not to the original ones on Great Britain. As if Jamaicans were Anglos but not English peple...

Old 03-22-2016, 04:24 AM

54 posts, read 55,811 times
Latino doesn't exist in Europe so you'll be seen as an American. Unlike Americans who often obsessively divide themselves by skin color, Europeans don't really make a difference between Americans regardless if they're blacks, whites etc. If you're from the US you're an American and that's final!!!

"Fortunately the rest of the world is not as obsessed on labeling everyone by races as the US"

Europeans generally understand and know that latin America is a region of the world with many different countries and cultures, from Brazil, to Cuba, to Argentina, it's not all the same thing "Mexico" like many Americans tend to think.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:30 AM

186 posts, read 157,836 times
Quote:
Considering spending a month in either Barcelona, Berlin, or Milan. I know there is a migrant crisis going on and I perhaps might be perceived as a migrant in some cases because of my skin color though I'm pretty distinctly Latino looking. I'm just worried about being profiled and being mistreated because of it?
The major issue people in Europe now have are "muslims".
If you look arabic: problem.
If you are latin looking.. most often no worries...

Old 03-22-2016, 04:30 AM

No self-respecting South American would call him/herself Latino/Latina!

That is a stupid term coined in the US to refer to their growing Mexican population since Americans have to label everyone with a skin color and later it was extended to just about every country south of the US!

I spent a considerable amount of time in Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia and never heard anyone say they're latinos, in fact many dislike it and many even ignore they are supposed to be Latinos.

The ones who do care about being called Latino it's the fake Latin Americans from the US. You know, Americans with mexican, cuban, puerto rican etc. heritage.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
You must be really American to claim you look distinctively Latino!

How does a Latin american look like?

Like a European looking Argentine? Like a dark skin Afro-Cuban? Like an indigenous Peruvian from the Andes? Or like an exotic Brazilian?

you definitively will be seen as an American, no doubt about it!

Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,418 times
There was a guy from Italy in another site saying that italians weren't latinos.

I asked him, if italians weren't latinos, who would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe