Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM

291 posts, read 277,162 times

Advertisements

I dunno, the bakeries in small towns in rhineland-palinitate aren't very good. I'd say small town America these days has much better food than small town Germany. In fact I've learned to avoid the locally owned bakeries in most small towns i've been to in Germany. They are kind of depressing places. That said, I don't eat donuts or cakes personally so I have little knowledge of how the two countries compare in terms of sweet dessert baked items.

Where I thought Germany was better for day to day eating was LIDL/ALDI. They have fresh baked breads for 25 cents, very inexpensive berries, organic quark, etc. ALDI in the USA is a bunch of weird garbage, and the equivalent bread, fruit and yogurt at Whole Foods costs 4x as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Trump will not be President. While obviously there is a segment of the US population that supports him, most do not. These people have succeeded in taking over the republican party, but most conservatives here in the US do not support him. Most Americans do see his foolish comments and can see his seemingly lack of knowledge on the issues. Many Americans including myself are embarrassed by him. It is sad that he has come this close to the white house. Many conservatives will not vote in the upcoming general election because of the lack of a good choice, and yes this means our next president will be Hillary Clinton. I don't like anything about Hillary Clinton, but that does not mean I can vote for the likes of Trump either. In the end though Trump is more dangerous, he seems to act like a tyrant wanabe. I don't want to have to tell my grandkids I had something to do with the things he might do just because I did not like Hillary Clinton.

Now as far as the anti American views in Germany, while Trump may not be helping that issue I believe the spying issue still is the primary reason for it. We did wrong and Germans are angry with us because we got caught. We should not be spying on our allies. Most Americans were disgusted with the behavior of our government on this issue, it made us look untrustworthy and many people were ashamed of what happened. I hope the German people realize that. We know our government goes off the rails sometimes. I visited Germany once in the 1980s. The people there were very friendly and its such an interesting country. I hope this anger Germans have with us is temporary. On this side of the Atlantic Germans are liked and well respected. Of course we sometimes see things different than y'all do, but overall we have a positive view of Germans and Europeans in general.
trump supports an anti-globalist agenda. fighting against nation building, more wars, and investing in the US rather than abroad. He'll cut up trade deals that have gut our manufacturing base due to bought and paid for politicians. You have to vote for him.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:34 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
About a dozen of the small family owned and operated bakeries in my area are no more... they ranged from very small to those with large followings... and all with European roots.
Not efficient, sorry.
Your friendly "next door chain" - i.e. supermarket, will enthusiastically take over and show you the "right way" to cook and bake (American way) with a smile)))

Old 04-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
trump supports an anti-globalist agenda. fighting against nation building, more wars, and investing in the US rather than abroad. He'll cut up trade deals that have gut our manufacturing base due to bought and paid for politicians. You have to vote for him.
Too little, too late I'd say.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Unless they are born in France, Italy, Austria or Poland i doubt they are anything similar to how a bakery, a supermarket or a cake maker in these countries would be.
First, you're wrong. The French shop-owner and his wife are from France, and in fact shut down the bakery in the winter for their home in Provence. The Austrian baker is from Graz and she married an American. The larger supermarkets are family-owned businesses from people originating in Italy and Poland, respectively.

Second, the idea that you need to be "born in a country to cook the food" is laughably outdated. 40% of Italian pizzerias are owned by Egyptians. Many of the top chefs in Paris are Japanese. Many German restaurants are owned by Poles and Eastern Europeans.

The average pizzeria in Brooklyn is better than the average pizzeria in Rome (but no one tops Naples). Conversely, I have had better Turkish food in Germany than in Istanbul. The top Michelin-rated restaurant in NYC is headed by a Swiss-born youngster who was never professionally trained.I have had bad bistecca alla fiorentina in Florence, and bad tacos in Mexico City (but most of the restaurants in these cities are amazing). It has nothing to do with citizenship or bloodline or location or resume. Good food is good food.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
First, you're wrong. The French shop-owner and his wife are from France, and in fact shut down the bakery in the winter for their home in Provence. The Austrian baker is from Graz and she married an American. The larger supermarkets are family-owned businesses from people originating in Italy and Poland, respectively.

Second, the idea that you need to be "born in a country to cook the food" is laughably outdated. 40% of Italian pizzerias are owned by Egyptians. Many of the top chefs in Paris are Japanese. Many German restaurants are owned by Poles and Eastern Europeans.

The average pizzeria in Brooklyn is better than the average pizzeria in Rome (but no one tops Naples). Conversely, I have had better Turkish food in Germany than in Istanbul. The top Michelin-rated restaurant in NYC is headed by a Swiss-born youngster who was never professionally trained.I have had bad bistecca alla fiorentina in Florence, and bad tacos in Mexico City (but most of the restaurants in these cities are amazing). It has nothing to do with citizenship or bloodline or location or resume. Good food is good food.
You need to be born in the "old world" to cook the good food - it's that simple, Nola.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
PS: If you think that Forum entry was me, then tell me, is this all you?
Mhm... Guy with a religious obsession, (former?) member of an evangelical free church in Germany, not believing in organised churches, you even posted about your problems with gays on city-data. Sounds an awful lot like the svenM that is posting homophobic posts on a variety of webpages for ages.

Hallo allerseits! - Thema anzeigen• bibel.com •

Gründung einer Anti-Homo-Union - Thema anzeigen• bibel.com •

Old 04-28-2016, 07:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You need to be born in the "old world" to cook the good food - it's that simple, Nola.
Utterly absurd.

Many (most?) of the top Michelin-starred restaurants in Europe have non-native chefs. Paris has had an explosion of Japanese and American chefs in the top Michelin restaurants.

How can so many top Parisian chefs be foreigners? If only French people can cook French food then why does Michelin award stars to so many foreigners?

The #1 ranked bistro in all of France, has a Japanese chef:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/di...ese-chefs.html

Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I really don't think it's fair that US citizens are blamed because the Germans, inexplicably, glommed on to David Hasselhoff. I did think Russians were fond of hairy chests though.
Heh no. This is who/what Russians like;

David Husselhoff wouldn't cut it there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtotfFMBJ-Q

Old 04-28-2016, 08:04 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Too little, too late I'd say.
nothing is too late. The concept of judgment is a lie un-fairly brought upon this world due to convenience. Let me be very clear, ALL people are inherently good, the only difference is some do things that are wrong, but they can be convinced otherwise. The idea that once a person or persons does a bad thing for however long you like is defined by it is an abusive lie meant to hold the human race down. Punishment is never the answer, for there is crime in the world, but there are no criminals in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe