Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,976,145 times

Advertisements

I don't think Brexit is such a bad thing because the UK has been dragging the EU from integrating further.

A EU without the UK will allow it to finally bring upon integration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:26 AM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
I actually think it's the other way around. If it were to happen, Brexit would create a precedent encouraging more states to leave.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Integration. The Monkey Islands should be hauled behind Greenland where they belong. Goodbye, we won't miss you.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:02 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,353 times
I am divided, I am strongly against the EU. Britain leaving the EU might be an example for other countries to follow them and the EU breaking apart in the near future but I do not suppose this to happen so soon. On the other hand, Britain remaining in the EU might further weaken it from within, so I would rathter favor that Britain remains within the EU for the greater goal to break the EU when its the right time or to reform the EU to acceptable limits. Don't get me wrong, all European countries should work together and live in peace with each other and freely trade with each other, but none of the Europan peoples should be govered by Brussels. The EU in its current form is a great evil in my opinion and should either be reformed or abolished altogether. Switzerland isn't in the EU either and from Germany you can just walk into it without even noticing, so what's Brussels good for? Europe does not need Brussels and the EU.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I don't think Brexit is such a bad thing because the UK has been dragging the EU from integrating further.

A EU without the UK will allow it to finally bring upon integration!
How so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Integration. The Monkey Islands should be hauled behind Greenland where they belong. Goodbye, we won't miss you.
So rude!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 PM

749 posts, read 856,750 times
No matter what the poll's results might be, I'm pretty sure the UK will "magically" end up remaining in the UE since it serves the US and Germany-france's best interests. UE is anti-democratic is essence, just remember the UE constitution vote.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM

985 posts, read 1,854,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Switzerland isn't in the EU either and from Germany you can just walk into it without even noticing, so what's Brussels good for? Europe does not need Brussels and the EU.
So since when can you just walk over to Switzerland? Without the EU there would still be customs checks on both sides.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:22 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
So since when can you just walk over to Switzerland? Without the EU there would still be customs checks on both sides.
They would have to build a Berlin-Wall style wall to prevent that, I can hardly imagine that it wasn't possible let's say in the 70ties. I don't see what's the EU's business in this matter? Why shouldn't Germany and Switzerland be able to deal with these matters without Brussels?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:51 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I am divided, I am strongly against the EU. Britain leaving the EU might be an example for other countries to follow them and the EU breaking apart in the near future but I do not suppose this to happen so soon. On the other hand, Britain remaining in the EU might further weaken it from within, so I would rathter favor that Britain remains within the EU for the greater goal to break the EU when its the right time or to reform the EU to acceptable limits. Don't get me wrong, all European countries should work together and live in peace with each other and freely trade with each other, but none of the Europan peoples should be govered by Brussels. The EU in its current form is a great evil in my opinion and should either be reformed or abolished altogether. Switzerland isn't in the EU either and from Germany you can just walk into it without even noticing, so what's Brussels good for? Europe does not need Brussels and the EU.
I do agree that the EU institutions should be reformed, the Parliament and the Commission should be merged into a European Congress or renewed Parliament which would have more legislative force. However, what's wrong with EU is that it's imposing a certain kind of economics that's slowly giving away the welfare state that was conquered by the citizens during years and years of battles. The problem is that a certain part of Europe is forcing measures on the rest that advantage them. These countries are the likes of the Netherlands, Germany and Austria in the economical field and Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic and Austria in the immigration policy.

The only way for the EU to proceed is to put egoism aside and proceed towards a political union, one that establishes a single tax rate, a single welfare system, a single political system, an international language (English) but is federalist, allowing choices in several fields to the various former countries. The other option is to keep with this mess until it's dismantled by the growing rise of the euroskeptical parties

Let's just say that we have different way to solve the problem. By the way, your country is the one that's ruling the current mess and doing little about it. It's contributing to the problem instead

Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
I'm a Europeist for Brexit. I'm aware that it would push more countries to follow suit but it's something we must go through to strenghten and reform the current system. This won't happen with an uninterested Tory led Britain. The Remain would create further problem as it would establish a difference between the UK and the rest of Europe with the latter having more concessions from the EU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe