Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Country with the worst food
Belgium 12 8.05%
England/Wales/Scotland/N. Ireland (UK) 86 57.72%
France 4 2.68%
Germany 20 13.42%
Greece 3 2.01%
Ireland 18 12.08%
Italy 1 0.67%
Portugal 2 1.34%
Spain 3 2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 02:27 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The trouble with the UK is the lack of choice.

Loch Fyne Sea Food and Grill

Carluccios

Côte Restaurants - French Brasseries & Bistros

Bella Italia | Bella Italia Italian Restaurant

Dishoom | Bombay Café

wagamama | home

Bill's Restaurant - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

Zizzi: Italian Restaurants in the UK and Ireland

Pasta, Pizza, Vino, Prezzo

Home | Belgo Bar & Restaurant

Jamie's Italian Restaurants | Local Italian Cuisine | UK

Welcome to GBK | Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Wahaca | Mexican Market Eating

Nando's

Barburrito: The UK's First Burrito Bar

Café Rouge | French Bistro Restaurant

Las Iguanas | Latin American Restaurant & Bar

Strada - Find a restaurant

Tortilla | Voted Best Mexican Restaurant & Take Away in London

Poppie's Fish and Chips | Authentic Fish and Chips Restaurants

The Breakfast Club

MEATliquor

Chicken Shop | Home

Comptoir Libanais | Lebanese canteen

Welcome to Franco Manca !

itsu

YO! Sushi - fresh Japanese street food and sushi restaurants

Home - LEON, Naturally Fast Food

Honest Burgers

Fresh, Healthy, Authentic Food | Pho Vietnamese Restaurants

Frankie and Bennys: Frankie & Benny's New York Italian Restaurant

TGI Fridays Restaurant & Bar – View Menu & Book a Table Online

Coast to Coast American Restaurant and Bar

Home - Jackson + Rye Brasserie, Bar & Grill

Ed's Easy Diner: Home

OK Diners | The 50s American Diner

Denny's UK

NY Fold London - Pizza With An Authentic New York Taste

Turtle Bay UK - The Best Caribbean Restaurant & Bar in Britain

Giggling Squid | Staggeringly good Thai food

Busaba Eathai | Thai Restaurants in London and St Albans

Thaikhun: Thai restaurant, Thai food, street food style

Home • Cosy Club • Cosy Club

Browns Restaurants - Dining Experiences with Ambience & Character

The Wolseley | European Café Restaurant in Mayfair, London
Thank you for the list of restaurants that have websites. I would never eat a a restaurant without a web site,which could not possibly serve good food, so this list is a very useful way to eliminate those which have none. Obviously, dining in the UK must be very good, as several dozen restaurants have websites. For every two million Britons, there is a restaurant that qualifies, indicative of the wide choice.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:42 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Monterey county have proclaimed itself to be "The Artichoke Center of the World" but the truth is that Californian artichokes production is far from the numbers of Italy, Spain, Egypt or Argentina.
Actually, Watsonville proclaims itself to be the artichoke capital of the world. Whatever the harvest, it is probably greater than the quanitity that Americans are willing to consume, so it would have to be classified as "adequate".

Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Thank you for the list of restaurants that have websites. I would never eat a a restaurant without a web site,which could not possibly serve good food, so this list is a very useful way to eliminate those which have none. Obviously, dining in the UK must be very good, as several dozen restaurants have websites. For every two million Britons, there is a restaurant that qualifies, indicative of the wide choice.

That is just a list of some of the very affordable casual dining chain restaurants, if you want a more upmarket restaurant try the AA Guide, Good Food Guide, Hardens Guide or numerous other guides and Apps.

Food & Drink : find restaurants and pubs, book a table online | AA

Restaurants – AA inspected for culinary excellence | AA

Hardens: Find The Best Restaurants in London and the UK

UK Restaurant Guide - Restaurants & Places to Eat

Best Restaurants Near Me - Discover them All with the Gourmet Guide

The Good Food Guide: Welcome

Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There are good restaurants in every country, but Dutch food, as in their national cuisine, is absolutely disgusting. It's not even bland, it's just crap.
Stroopwafels, frikandel, bitterballen, poffertjes, those sort of things? Or are you thinking of something else? What is it specifically that you find absolutely disgusting?

Absolutely disgusting in my mind is something like eating dog or balut, not waffles and seasoned meat tubes. I'm truly curious what you found to be total crap.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There are good restaurants in every country, but Dutch food, as in their national cuisine, is absolutely disgusting. It's not even bland, it's just crap.
I thought the national cuisine was Indonesian? I eat rijstafel when I’m in Amsterdam. It’s really good. Kind of like how chicken tikka masala is the U.K. national cuisine. You are what you colonize.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I thought the national cuisine was Indonesian? I eat rijstafel when I’m in Amsterdam. It’s really good. Kind of like how chicken tikka masala is the U.K. national cuisine. You are what you colonize.
Exactly - and I'll add, since their colonies included the spice islands, the Dutch introduced a wealth of flavor to the continent - including chocolate. Until the Dutch processing of cocoa, it was only ever a drink before - the chocolate bars and confections we know today were born there.

I'll add a few more favorites, in addition to The Indonesian and Surinamese influenced dishes, I also loved the gemberkoek and pannenkoeken. I could survive for weeks on just one dairy case at AH, the cheeses, quark, vla, drinking yogurts, etc. If anyone is wondering about why the Dutch are so tall - look no further.

I think it may be a regional thing if anything - I spend most of my time in Zuid Holland, not Amsterdam. The area produces tons of produce for export, I've toured the greenhouses. These people know food.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:45 AM

505 posts, read 393,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
The trouble with the UK is the lack of good native English restaurants which is also reflected in the list above. There are many chain restaurants, usually copying America and Italy, and Thai of Mexican food is available in most other countries too.
And if you go to a real English restaurant and not a pub on a Sunday, they usually only server Sunday roast, which is boring.

A pity. I hear they prepare good lamb and game. One thing I do fate are gravies, hp, exceot worcester sauce,

They don¡t push their food...as Spain some decades ago...and have assimilated the kitchen of their empire..

The same happe4ned in Spain and Portugal but centuries earlier.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default You forgot the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
U forgot the good old USA.

There is good food; fast food; near food and the food most of us eats, Nuked, frozen, overly processed food.

Why do they heavily salt or put long shelf life preservatives in frozen food?

Old 12-06-2022, 11:55 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I have worked around Europe, as well as visiting quite a number of countries.

I used to spend some time in the Netherlands. The Dutch food left me disappointed, though I enjoyed Belgian restaurants as well as the Indonesian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe