Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I didn't say it wasn't a popular tourist destination just that many tourists who come to Ireland don't think about going north.
Trust me I know,I make a lot of money out of tourists.
im well aware of how much of a slick guy you are .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
We spend a month or so in Ireland every summer, as we live in South China and try to get away from the heat and a change of scenary by getting out of China. We usually spend our time in County Mayo, which is small but I find it and the rest of the north west of Ireland to be beautiful. The people are lovely, but I do understand we are touristis so perhaps its friendliness on the surface? Anyway, 99.9% of dealing with the Irish has been warm and without any issues.

Last summer I had my first negative encounter, where I was driving my rental car in County Clare coming back on the main road road from Cliffs of Moher. The guy apparently didn't like the way I passed a car behind him. He slammed on his brakes, and started cursing at me telling me he was going to take me to jail....ha. Honest. I had my 5 year old daughter, 70 year old mother and 96 year old grandmother in the car with me. He kept screaming and cursing, with his 13 year old son standing next to the car. I told him he needs to calm down or else he's gonna have a stroke. He then, tried to back his car up closer to mine so I couldn't leave the scene, and he accidentally (I think it was an accident as he was heated and upset) crashed into the front of my car. Not major damages but the whole thing was a mess. The Garda passed by and he tried to wave them down to stop, but they kept going. Eventually, he told me to "F@ck off you Yank, and to go back to the States. He finally left and we drove home to County Mayo ( Castlebar).

We don't spend much time in Dublin anymore. There are some cool pubs and good restaurants in Dublin, but it gets boring after two days or so. Plus, I couldn't believe how many used needles and drug stuff was lying in the streets. The main road too next to the Liffey. Crazy.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
We don't spend much time in Dublin anymore. There are some cool pubs and good restaurants in Dublin, but it gets boring after two days or so. Plus, I couldn't believe how many used needles and drug stuff was lying in the streets. The main road too next to the Liffey. Crazy.
I spent my adult life living in Manhattan (1960 - 2000), and not in the pricier white neighborhoods. I got used to seeing discarded drug paraphernalia in the streets. Yeah, I saw some in Dublin, but hardly heaped to the heavens like some posters seem be carrying on as if it were. I like central Dublin, and always have a pleasant time. Like the museums, the parks, the canals and so on.

Label me a cynical lout from the old New York, Jake seems to have a sense of proportion but really some of you folks need to get over yourselves. A bunch of drama queens.

Last edited by kevxu; 10-15-2018 at 04:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 07:17 AM

I think most people are surprised by the drug scene in Dublin because in the past it was always behind closed doors and not out in the open, nor were there this many people shooting up. Of course, the volume you can't compare to NYC in the 70's and 80's, but Ireland, even Dublin was always such a simple, safe place that never seemed to have any of the issues like drugs or violent crime.

Dublin is still a really cool city, but I hope they can get the drugs, as well as some of these teen gangs under control. I've never experienced it, but apparently tourists have had issues with gangs of immigrant teens causing issues with families in the popular spots of Dist 1 and 2.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I think most people are surprised by the drug scene in Dublin because in the past it was always behind closed doors and not out in the open, nor were there this many people shooting up. Of course, the volume you can't compare to NYC in the 70's and 80's, but Ireland, even Dublin was always such a simple, safe place that never seemed to have any of the issues like drugs or violent crime.

Dublin is still a really cool city, but I hope they can get the drugs, as well as some of these teen gangs under control. I've never experienced it, but apparently tourists have had issues with gangs of immigrant teens causing issues with families in the popular spots of Dist 1 and 2.
we have an astoundingly useless police force in ireland which is why drug abuse is so visible in dublin .

its a disgrace .

Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 PM

I think your right about that Bob. They appear to be very weak and not trained very well.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
I visited Dublin for the first time this past summer and loved it-I've been to at least a dozen European countries and many dozens of European cities and Dublin, while physically perhaps not as attractive as some, was among the most entertaining and probably my favorite locals. So your comments strike me as odd and unappreciative.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I think your right about that Bob. They appear to be very weak and not trained very well.
well they are certainly paid well enough complete with incredible pensions .

one of the most recent scandals involving our police force came to a tribunal conclusion recently , a lowly seargeant reported the fact that various important people in society were having their speeding tickets torn up , a smear campaign was launched against this man including a well engineered false accusation where a colleague of this man got his daughter to accuse the whistleblower of sexually abusing her when she was a child , the whistleblower was accused of being a paedophile

who was it revealed by the tribunal who personally oversaw the whole smear campaign , the goddamn ex police commissioner .

Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I visited Dublin for the first time this past summer and loved it-I've been to at least a dozen European countries and many dozens of European cities and Dublin, while physically perhaps not as attractive as some, was among the most entertaining and probably my favorite locals. So your comments strike me as odd and unappreciative.
dublin has a terrific vibe about it for a small capital , i love dublin but it has a sub standard transportation network , much of the problem in ireland lies with the fact that our planning laws are so frustratingly democratic , a person one hundred miles from dublin can object to a planning decision in dublin and hold up the process for years .

Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
well they are certainly paid well enough complete with incredible pensions .

one of the most recent scandals involving our police force came to a tribunal conclusion recently , a lowly seargeant reported the fact that various important people in society were having their speeding tickets torn up , a smear campaign was launched against this man including a well engineered false accusation where a colleague of this man got his daughter to accuse the whistleblower of sexually abusing her when she was a child , the whistleblower was accused of being a paedophile

who was it revealed by the tribunal who personally oversaw the whole smear campaign , the goddamn ex police commissioner .

Oh my. Thanks for sharing. That's pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe