Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 PM

62,047 posts, read 87,760,434 times

Advertisements

It's probably time to start a Coronavirus Europe that will include all European countries. The most affected Italy and Spain can have separate threads for now.

So let's start with general info about lockdown measures across Europe. Here is a list:
https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-what...ope/a-52905137
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 04:26 PM

62,047 posts, read 87,760,434 times
Some stimulus measures that have been unveiled:

Germany
The largest economy in the EU on Wednesday approved a coronavirus stimulus package worth over €750 billion ($814 billion), marking the first instance of the German government taking on new debt since 2013.
It includes €600 billion for business loans and to buy direct stakes in companies and €156 billion in debt to finance higher social spending.

France
Last week, France's finance minister unveiled a €45 billion aid package for businesses and workers, adding that more economic support was still to come.

EU
The European Commission has suspended debt and deficit requirements for members of the bloc, giving less economically-stable countries, like Italy, more room to fight the coronavirus. The European Central Bank announced the "Pandemic Emergency Purchase Program," a bond-buying scheme worth €750 billion to provide EU members with increased liquidity.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:52 PM

5,040 posts, read 3,351,891 times
Italy 7503 deaths. RIP.
Spain 3491 deaths. RIP.
...see link more countries
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/0...navirus-cases/

www.theguardian.com/international

Iceland study finds...40...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 PM

6,474 posts, read 8,223,522 times
I hope Norway's death rate stay below 0.5%.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 PM

134 posts, read 92,008 times
I have nothing against Chinese people and I like Chinese food and I have Chinese friends but this Covid 19 virus is too much! This Chinese communist government is too crazy. After all, we live on one planet Earth. First they produce air pollution now a deadly virus. My recommendations: The European Union, US and other countries will bring a case against the Chinese government in the world court in The Hague for compensation of trillions of dollars. Transfer all business contracts to other countries from China, stop passenger air traffic with China. Period.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,276,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzmk View Post
I have nothing against Chinese people and I like Chinese food and I have Chinese friends but this Covid 19 virus is too much! This Chinese communist government is too crazy. After all, we live on one planet Earth. First they produce air pollution now a deadly virus. My recommendations: The European Union, US and other countries will bring a case against the Chinese government in the world court in The Hague for compensation of trillions of dollars. Transfer all business contracts to other countries from China, stop passenger air traffic with China. Period.

Chinese are not to blame for the emergence of new infections. This is a common natural process. Viruses circulate in animals and sometimes mutate and pass on to humans. It can happen in any country.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 AM

26,848 posts, read 22,694,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Chinese are not to blame for the emergence of new infections. This is a common natural process. Viruses circulate in animals and sometimes mutate and pass on to humans. It can happen in any country.

Maxim, I have news for you.
There is a reason you see, why these "mutations" are not happening in just "any country," but they keep on happening specifically in China.

(And Ebola originated in Africa, not just "any country.")

Here we go - learn a thing or two pls behind these reasons, and then some more..

Last edited by erasure; 03-26-2020 at 02:26 AM..

Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 AM

9,430 posts, read 14,384,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzmk View Post
I doubt that will happen, except may the last sentence to some extent.

A more reasonable and somewhat likely response is to accelerate the de-gearing of "globalism". Countries of early industrialization - i.e. US, certain European countries, and to a certain extent Japan - must take into account the total cost - not just the consumer price of products - of allowing entire strategic industrial sectors to relocate to far away, hostile places. Hostile.

A slowdown in consumption at higher prices at point of final sale may actually be less costly overall in terms of health, both human and Earth itself, and national security.

But somehow I don't think the decision-makers with real power give a hoot, we'll see.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,276,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Maxim, I have news for you.
There is a reason you see, why these "mutations" are not happening in just "any country," but they keep on happening specifically in China.

(And Ebola originated in Africa, not just "any country.")

Here we go - learn a thing or two pls behind these reasons, and then some more..
Of course, animal cruelty must be stopped. But I am afraid that this will not stop a transition of viruses to humans. And the worst thing that we can start now is a witch hunt.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:17 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Of course, animal cruelty must be stopped. But I am afraid that this will not stop a transition of viruses to humans. And the worst thing that we can start now is a witch hunt.
I agree. Especially considering China has done a better job at containing it than other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe