Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 10:37 PM

37,176 posts, read 39,463,148 times

Advertisements

There’s been some established European automakers who are moving into the space, but what about new potential automakers who are trying to get into the space?

I know there’s:

Rimac in Croatia which makes pricey supercars and has actually launched one or two and has also worked out deals with Porsche perhaps others to help with driving performance-oriented EV development.

Lightyear in the Netherlands with its Lightyear One prototype and the intention of making low volume, high price solar power-assisted electric vehicles with long ranges and quite high prices before trying for higher volumes and lower prices with another vehicle if successful.

Sono in Germany which is trying for a broader market from the get-go with a solar power-assisted electric vehicle.

Are there other at least somewhat serious contenders you’ve come across?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 03:19 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,028,291 times
Not quite "electric" but this Slovak startup is aiming too high (literally):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ9kdH1V5UI

Other than that you named it: Lightyear and Sono are more 'on the ground' with Solar cars initiative, basically they're trying to beat Tesla by pushing the next stage: 100% solar.

I'd say the challenges are tremendous, solar is by no means yet ready to create the power needed to carry a huge weight over large area and flying cars have all the disadvantages everyone knows: turbulence, noise, power, safety.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:46 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There’s been some established European automakers who are moving into the space, but what about new potential automakers who are trying to get into the space?

I know there’s:

Rimac in Croatia which makes pricey supercars and has actually launched one or two and has also worked out deals with Porsche perhaps others to help with driving performance-oriented EV development.

Lightyear in the Netherlands with its Lightyear One prototype and the intention of making low volume, high price solar power-assisted electric vehicles with long ranges and quite high prices before trying for higher volumes and lower prices with another vehicle if successful.

Sono in Germany which is trying for a broader market from the get-go with a solar power-assisted electric vehicle.

Are there other at least somewhat serious contenders you’ve come across?
Sono is likely to never produce a car.

There is Streescooter, already bankrupt and E.go, propably going to become bankrupt too.

https://www.streetscooter.com/de/

https://e-go-mobile.com/

How does Rimac perfom financially? Startups in car industry can only succeed in high price low volume segment. This is why Sono and e.go will fail.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:11 AM

27,207 posts, read 13,496,080 times
In terms of smaller start up's the UK has the likes of Arrival , EV Connect, Alcraft etc

Dyson was involved but decided not to proceed, whilst James Ratcliffe is a British billionaire who owns the Ineos chemical company is developing the Grenadier, a rugges 4x4 to replace the Land Rover Discovery which is being discontinued with Land Rover concentrating on SUV's instead.

Of course all the big major companies are involved in the race to find the best electric vehicles and Jaguar Land Rover have recently changed some of their production lines to electric vehicles in the UK, whilst Nissan manufacture the electric leaf at their UK plant, and there are numerous other major manufacturers.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Sono is likely to never produce a car.

There is Streescooter, already bankrupt and E.go, propably going to become bankrupt too.

https://www.streetscooter.com/de/

https://e-go-mobile.com/

How does Rimac perfom financially? Startups in car industry can only succeed in high price low volume segment. This is why Sono and e.go will fail.
Those are interesting. Do you know if both vehicles are platforms they themselves developed or are they just adapting existing automakers?

Sono did just raise even more money fairly recently, but who knows. It's a weird niche they're going for.

Rimac is seemingly doing okay as Porsche seems to be really interested in it and has bought a 15.5% stake in the company. I'd assume they did a bit of due diligence before putting some money down. Them vehicles are a bit on the pricey side though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of smaller start up's the UK has the likes of Arrival , EV Connect, Alcraft etc

Dyson was involved but decided not to proceed, whilst James Ratcliffe is a British billionaire who owns the Ineos chemical company is developing the Grenadier, a rugges 4x4 to replace the Land Rover Discovery which is being discontinued with Land Rover concentrating on SUV's instead.

Of course all the big major companies are involved in the race to find the best electric vehicles and Jaguar Land Rover have recently changed some of their production lines to electric vehicles in the UK, whilst Nissan manufacture the electric leaf at their UK plant, and there are numerous other major manufacturers.
That's a lot of things mentioned, but are any of them electric vehicle making startups?

Old 06-11-2020, 12:31 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,421 times
Quote:
Those are interesting. Do you know if both vehicles are platforms they themselves developed or are they just adapting existing automakers?

Sono did just raise even more money fairly recently, but who knows. It's a weird niche they're going for.
Both streetscooter and E.go were newly developed, a logistics professor is responsible for both, as I said streetscooter is already bankrupt, Post/DHL produced them for themselves but hardly anybody else purchased them, they are technically poor and were relatively expensive (this also applies to e.go).

https://www.electrive.com/2020/02/29...er-production/

If e.go company survives they might use the Volkswagen MEB for an electric beach buggy or something of that sort.

Sono are either amateurs or a fraud or both, they already burned millions with zero result, the prototypes they had were edited BMW i3, the car should have been launched in 2019 and now they say in 2022. The money they collected is enough for a few prototypes, then they have to collect hundred of millions again to start production while the car with its specs is already outdated (only 200 Km range).

The car should have produced in Sweden in a former Saab plant by a Chinese manufacturer, as it seems the Chinese manufacturer does not produce in Sweden but in China, who in Europe would buy 15 years old Saab models as electric cars so why build them in Sweden? This means no manufacturer for Sono, at least not as planned.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:13 AM

Quote:

That's a lot of things mentioned, but are any of them electric vehicle making startups?
Small independent UK electric vehicle start up's include - Arrival , EV Connect, Alcraft etc

UK electric van maker Arrival secures £85m from Kia and Hyundai - The Guardian (Jan 2020)

UK electric van maker Arrival secures £340m order from UPS - The Guardian (2020)

UK-built electric car to be sold from £15,100 next year - E&T

Britain's electric car company | Alcraft Motor

As for Elon Musk, he's been jetting in to Somerset in England in recent weeks -

Tesla linked to new UK gigafactory in Somerset - Autocar

Tesla working with UK government for car factory in Somerset - PES

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-11-2020 at 02:52 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 10:30 AM

5,768 posts, read 11,387,552 times
It sounds odd that Tesla would consider building a factory in the UK. They are just getting started on the factory in Brandenburg state, not far from the southern edge of the Berlin metro area. I think all the tree chopping recently wrapped up and they are now working on grading and site preparation. The construction schedule sounds aggressive, but Tesla has done some things that surprise many.

Meanwhile, VW is getting their first electric vehicle factory closer to production mode in Zwickau (Saxony) which is an hour south of Leipzig. I pedaled my bike by there last August and it was a whirlwind of activity. It's ironic that the same factory site on the north side of Zwickau was previously the Trabant car factory up until 1991.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:02 PM

I don't consider Tesla an European automaker. I mean, unless any automaker that sells in Europe is a European automaker. I was thinking about headquartered in Europe and also not a subsidiary of another larger automaker.

Arrival is interesting! I forgot about Uniti. I had never heard of Alcraft before, and I couldn't figure out what car EV Connect is making. Alcraft unfortunately seem vaporware-y.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-11-2020 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
I don't consider Tesla an European automaker. I mean, unless any automaker that sells in Europe is a European automaker. I was thinking about headquartered in Europe and also not a subsidiary of another larger automaker.
I merely pointed South African Elon Musk has visited England with a view to opening a vast factory,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler
Arrival is interesting! I forgot about Uniti. I had never heard of Alcraft before, and I couldn't figure out what car EV Connect is making. Alcraft unfortunately seem vaporware-y.
I think EV work more on charging points, and the UK has some leading battery technology and charging technology companies, with some excellent research carried out at places such as thr Faraday Institution and the UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC).

The Faraday Institution – Powering Britain's Battery Revolution

UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC)

Lamp posts are being used as charging points as the roll out of charging points progresses.

LAMP POST-POWERED ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING POINTS ARRIVE IN LONDON - Sunday Times Motoring

Whilst larger well established companies such Jaguar Land Rover, Lotus, Aston Martin, McLaren etc are also developing electric vehicles.

Jaguar Land Rover to build electric XJ car at Castle Bromwich plant - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-12-2020 at 03:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe