Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 04:37 PM

102,444 posts, read 108,880,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Alcoholism is big in Russia, and it is depressing society.

Even if it is going down today, why has it been such a big problem? And when did it start?
A student at the university where I worked did a research paper on this exact question. It started hundreds of years ago. But you could say the same about Western Europe; there was a time when the water supply wasn't clean in W Europe, so it was common for people to drink beer or other spirits instead.

Actually, we can blame the Georgians for the wine tradition, which goes back something like 7000 years in Georgia. Hospitality was intimately tied in with sharing wine and song. it still is today. From there, viticulture spread throughout Europe and probably into Asia Minor. Grapes grow wild in Georgia. IIRC, it was in 5000 BC that Georgians began making wine.

Russians probably picked the tradition of sharing spirits with guests from the Caucasus.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:27 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,812,343 times
Quote:
Alcoholism is big in Russia, and it is depressing society.

Even if it is going down today, why has it been such a big problem? And when did it start?

You won't understand it, unless you are familiar with Russian songs/poetry/literature and history in general.
A lot of pain, oppression, injustice and uncertainty.

That shot of vodka keeps you moving through life in spite of it all, and dulls the pain.

It helps bonding and knowing people better, on whom your life might depend tomorrow.

And of course it helps to keep the party going when the occasion arises.

So there are quite a few reasons why Russians drink of course.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:41 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,812,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A student at the university where I worked did a research paper on this exact question. It started hundreds of years ago. But you could say the same about Western Europe; there was a time when the water supply wasn't clean in W Europe, so it was common for people to drink beer or other spirits instead.

Actually, we can blame the Georgians for the wine tradition, which goes back something like 7000 years in Georgia. Hospitality was intimately tied in with sharing wine and song. it still is today. From there, viticulture spread throughout Europe and probably into Asia Minor. Grapes grow wild in Georgia. IIRC, it was in 5000 BC that Georgians began making wine.

Russians probably picked the tradition of sharing spirits with guests from the Caucasus.

Ruth, Georgian "drinking culture" is of different nature.

To begin with - they are the Southerners, so the vines ( red vines mostly) is usually their drink of choice.

Their chacha ( vodka) is close to Italian grappa from what I remember.

Russians live in cold climate, so normally they prefer vodka in winter time and cold beer in summer ( I guess.) Of course they have plenty of other drinks available ( it's all individual preference,) but as a rule I think vodka is the drink of choice; it's of the top quality too.

But back to Georgians.
Their drinking is all about "celebrating the life," partying and feasting for hours, honoring guests, the loved ones, the elders, ancestors and so on.

I am sure Russians picked a thing or two from them culturally in this respect, but overall it's still different.
Georgians are more like Meds. (Italians/Spaniards/Portuguese and Greeks come to mind.)

Old 02-11-2021, 05:51 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Somewhat up to date data from 2016 shows it's Germany and Ireland who consume more yet Moldova tops the list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita
This means nothing, not alcohol is the same, light beer isn't the same as hard liquor.

This about Alcoholism and abuse. So why is it so prevalent in Russia?

I don't get why people are so resistant to answering.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:06 PM

12,021 posts, read 11,664,660 times
There's link between cold climate and alcoholism since they stay indoors more and the days are shorter. Confinement is a big factor. That's why the Native Americans on reservations have alcohol problem.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM

1,348 posts, read 641,306 times
Quote:
Alcoholism is big in Russia
Not rigth. Alcoholism was big in Russia

Old 02-11-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There's link between cold climate and alcoholism since they stay indoors more and the days are shorter.
Well, what nonsense you are talking..Well, then explain how you imagine it.. And what do you mean by alcoholism?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
This means nothing, not alcohol is the same, light beer isn't the same as hard liquor.

This about Alcoholism and abuse. So why is it so prevalent in Russia?

I don't get why people are so resistant to answering.
I have the same question for you: What do you mean by alcoholism in Russia?

Old 02-11-2021, 08:32 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I have the same question for you: What do you mean by alcoholism in Russia?
Abuse, domestic violence, drunkenness.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Abuse, domestic violence, drunkenness.
Where did you get this information?

Can you provide statistics on domestic violence in Russian families, statistics on abuse (to whom, just a question)? Statistics on the consumption of strong alcohol?

Again, what is domestic violence? Russians and Americans have different notion what mean is domestic violence.. For me, domestic violence is when my wife makes me put dirty socks in the laundry basket, and not where I left them ... For my wife, domestic violence is when I force her to cook borscht instead of broccoli puree soup..brr..

Last edited by Zimogor; 02-11-2021 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe