Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:27 PM

26,922 posts, read 22,812,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think not. But the answer to this question must be sought in 1989-1992.
You think "not" what?
That it's about the same?

I know what I saw back THEN
( I don't know what it is now in this respect.)

( "Police Report" this song is called, one of Russian classics during Soviet times.)

Lyrics translation ( it's a humorous song, obviously. This is what they refer to as "stoller"). )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olrv2QpuVuc

Last edited by erasure; 02-12-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So then the question is, why is Russia so much more oppressed than anywhere else?

There are plenty of places with a history of oppression and no problems with alcoholism.

But what did they achieve - those places?

Were they able to stand up to the "mighty West," the way Russia managed to?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:02 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,306,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You think "not" what?
That it's about the same?

I know what I saw back THEN
( I don't know what it is now in this respect.)

( "Police Report" this song is called, one of Russian classics during Soviet times.)

Lyrics translation ( it's a humorous song, obviously). )
If we compare the present time and the USSR, then I think this is about the same thing, and here you are right. But the original poster refers to the stereotype of Russian drunkenness, which was created in the 90s. And indeed it is. In the 90s, Russia just got drunk. Because people were crushing the breakdown of rational thinking because of the fall of the Soviet Union. This is the reason for many inexplicable and stupid things in the 90s. A long video about this from the 2nd minute:

https://youtu.be/98xA6_kJmYQ

Old 02-12-2021, 03:07 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,306,704 times
Quote:

Lyrics translation ( it's a humorous song, obviously). )
btw, it is a great song .

Quote:
На разойтись, я, кстати, сразу согласился.
И разошелся. То есть, расходился.
It is one of my favorite quotes.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:08 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
Quote:
But what did they achieve - those places?

Were they able to stand up to the "mighty West," the way Russia managed to?
North Korea, Iran, China, Burkina Faso, Cuba, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Japan, etc.

Now why is alcoholism so big in Russia, and why is it still pervasive today?

The answers so far have been really disappointing.

I've gotten it's cold, it's poor, it's rural, and now its oppressed.

There are countless number of places for which these are all true.

Why Russia?

Old 02-12-2021, 03:16 PM
DKM

6,766 posts, read 3,920,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Cold climate and culture are one of the main factors. When it’s freezing outside, drinking helps one cope with the weather. Plus drinking can be a lot of fun.
And drinking with Russians is the most fun of all. Actually Irish, and Australians too. Russians usually come up with the most entertaining ideas when drinking and I was never bored drinking with them. Occasionally dangerous ideas too but that's part of the fun.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
North Korea, Iran, China, Burkina Faso, Cuba, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Japan, etc.

Now why is alcoholism so big in Russia, and why is it still pervasive today?

The answers so far have been really disappointing.

I've gotten it's cold, it's poor, it's rural, and now its oppressed.

There are countless number of places for which these are all true.

Why Russia?

You still didn't answer what did those places achieve in standing up to the "mighty West" comparably to Russia?

Not much - steadfastly and profoundly, as Russia was doing it for centuries.

Once you understand this, here is your answer in the simplest way.

Say you have the entity that demands the ultimate superiority in the world.
And this entity is very, very powerful. And it claims that it's very deserving too.

And then you have someone else that says "nope, you have too many inequities to get on top of the world and to tell the rest what to do. So you are not that "ultimate good" vs some proverbial "evil" that you claim you are, so I'll do everything possible to not to let you prevail.

What do you think is going to happen to such force?
It's going to be challenged on each and every step, it's going to be attacked; people there are going to be suppressed, they will suffer great injustice ( don't forget Russia is not "uniform and homogeneous," it was always divided into "fractions, classes" and so on, where one part oppresses the other.)
So this is the most simple answer to your question.

Drinking is the way to relieve one's soul - the pain, the tears, and to keep on moving and fighting.

But there is more complex explanation of course, but I don't know how much I want to go further into the Bible, when it comes to "Gog and Ma-gog" thing ( which is Russia.)

Old 02-12-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
btw, it is a great song .

It is one of my favorite quotes.

Yes and yes)))

Old 02-12-2021, 04:33 PM

15,506 posts, read 6,487,351 times
Quote:
You still didn't answer what did those places achieve in standing up to the "mighty West" comparably to Russia?

Not much - steadfastly and profoundly, as Russia was doing it for centuries.

Once you understand this, here is your answer in the simplest way.

Say you have the entity that demands the ultimate superiority in the world.
And this entity is very, very powerful. And it claims that it's very deserving too.

And then you have someone else that says "nope, you have too many inequities to get on top of the world and to tell the rest what to do. So you are not that "ultimate good" vs some proverbial "evil" that you claim you are, so I'll do everything possible to not to let you prevail.

What do you think is going to happen to such force?
It's going to be challenged on each and every step, it's going to be attacked; people there are going to be suppressed, they will suffer great injustice ( don't forget Russia is not "uniform and homogeneous," it was always divided into "fractions, classes" and so on, where one part oppresses the other.)
So this is the most simple answer to your question.

Drinking is the way to relieve one's soul - the pain, the tears, and to keep on moving and fighting.

But there is more complex explanation of course, but I don't know how much I want to go further into the Bible, when it comes to "Gog and Ma-gog" thing ( which is Russia.)
This is a good answer, in a way.

Would you say Ivan the terrible was doing this as well? I am open to the idea since Russia is the only eastern orthodox country to challenge the Roman west for superiority. I am talking about the split of the Roman Empire into its Latin half and its Byzantine half.

Anatolia was conquered by the Islamic Turks, which leaves the Slavic, Greeks, and Muscovites as decedents of the eastern empire.

Where as the Romance countries under the Vatican (Spain, Portugal, England, France, and Germany) went on to build empires the east remained backwards.

Russia is the only one to build an empire that compares.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:45 PM

25,039 posts, read 11,449,917 times
Quote:
Makes no sense, the vast majority of the world populated farming villages, but you don't here about alcohol problems being pervasive elsewhere.

It is a Russian phenomenon, why?

PS. I lived in a boring village with nothing to do. Me and a friend would go skip rocks by the river all day. People find ways to occupy themselves.
And now your city has a dam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe