Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 06:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ruth, Georgian "drinking culture" is of different nature.

To begin with - they are the Southerners, so the vines ( red vines mostly) is usually their drink of choice.

Their chacha ( vodka) is close to Italian grappa from what I remember.

Russians live in cold climate, so normally they prefer vodka in winter time and cold beer in summer ( I guess.) Of course they have plenty of other drinks available ( it's all individual preference,) but as a rule I think vodka is the drink of choice; it's of the top quality too.

But back to Georgians.
Their drinking is all about "celebrating the life," partying and feasting for hours, honoring guests, the loved ones, the elders, ancestors and so on.

I am sure Russians picked a thing or two from them culturally in this respect, but overall it's still different.
Georgians are more like Meds. (Italians/Spaniards/Portuguese and Greeks come to mind.)
Yes, the bolded is what I was referring to, not the specific choice of spirits. Russians also "celebrate life, partying and feasting for hours, when honoring guests. It's exactly the same scenario. Russians will even say, that this is their tradition, and that it's not so much about alcohol exactly, it's about sharing with guests and being hospitable. You might say, lots of cultures do that, but .... they don't. Not in Western Europe, except maybe the Italians? But nowhere else is it an acknowledged national characteristic, as in Russia and Georgia (or one might say--in the Caucasus generally). It doesn't manifest the same way anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 06:10 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
And now your city has a dam.
No, the roads got flooded.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:23 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This is a good answer, in a way.

Would you say Ivan the terrible was doing this as well? .

I'd say that Ivan the Terrible was the ultimate precursor of things to come, and he was the precursor specifically for Stalin's era.

Only during Ivan the Terrible times it was all about "God and Tzar as God's anointed one," whereas in Stalin's time the reference to god was simply dropped.
The rest remained the same more or less.

Quote:
I am open to the idea since Russia is the only eastern orthodox country to challenge the Roman west for superiority. I am talking about the split of the Roman Empire into its Latin half and its Byzantine half.

Anatolia was conquered by the Islamic Turks, which leaves the Slavic, Greeks, and Muscovites as decedents of the eastern empire.

Where as the Romance countries under the Vatican (Spain, Portugal, England, France, and Germany) went on to build empires the east remained backwards.

Russia is the only one to build an empire that compares
Russia IS the Third Rome.

That's where it moved to, after the "Second Rome" ( i.e. Byzantium) was destroyed by Turks.

That's why Russian princes were fighting long and hard from the day one of accepting Christianity to get the autocephalous church - i.e. independent from Byzantium. If they'd stay part of the Byzantine Patriarchy, remaining under their direct order, then their church would have been destroyed along with Byzantium after its fall.

You can see more here in this Wiki article, although I think not everything is correct there.

It's just a general idea.

However shortly before the downfall of Byzantium, during the Council of Florence the agreement has been achieved that in the face of looming Islamic threat, the Second Rome was going to submit under the First Rome ( i.e. Catholic Church,) at least temporarily.

The Russian Tzar ( Vasily (Basil) the Blind) that was ruling back then, bluntly said "no" to it.

"In the meantime, Constantinople fell to the Turks, and the Patriarch agreed to acknowledge the supremacy of the Pope in the Council of Florence. Vasily II promptly rejected this arrangement. By his order in 1448, bishop Jonah was appointed metropolitan of Russia, which was tantamount to declaration of independence of the Russian Orthodox Church from the Patriarch of Constantinople. This move further strengthened Russia's reputation among Orthodox states"

Old 02-12-2021, 06:26 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Alcoholism is big in Russia, and it is depressing society.

Even if it is going down today, why has it been such a big problem? And when did it start?
I'll point to one thing currently and historically and not just in Russia.

Availability.

Where in any human occupied area in this world can you go and not find alcohol? No doubt there are very few if any.

I don't believe Russians drink any more than a lot of other people on this earth either. They're probably in the top 10 though.

This problem has been going on a LONG time too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MxNLg3rCdw

Old 02-12-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, the bolded is what I was referring to, not the specific choice of spirits. Russians also "celebrate life, partying and feasting for hours, when honoring guests. It's exactly the same scenario. Russians will even say, that this is their tradition, and that it's not so much about alcohol exactly, it's about sharing with guests and being hospitable. You might say, lots of cultures do that, but .... they don't. Not in Western Europe, except maybe the Italians? But nowhere else is it an acknowledged national characteristic, as in Russia and Georgia (or one might say--in the Caucasus generally). It doesn't manifest the same way anywhere else.

Oh, Russians absorbed the cultures and traditions of more ancient people around them - no doubt about it.

Remember I posted this before?

This is coming straight from Caucasus - Russians simply refined and advanced "jigitovka" some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-Z...ature=emb_logo

Here it is again - this is "hold my beer" taken to the next level.
( That's them having fun while sober, one can only guess how "inventive" they get, when they drink ( according to DKM.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhD9WAT4OQ0&t=32s

So when it comes to "zastolye" - I'm sure Russians share this tradition with Caucasians as well (yes, Georgians in this case.)

There are some nuances I think though, because Georgians are simply more ancient culture, so their art of doing this is more specific; it's more ceremonial.

But I won't dwell on it much.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:53 PM

1,348 posts, read 625,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Cold climate and culture are one of the main factors. When it’s freezing outside, drinking helps one cope with the weather. Plus drinking can be a lot of fun.
In what way? It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about..
I live in Siberia. Today we have -25. How many bottles of vodka do you think I drank today?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
In what way? It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about..
I live in Siberia. Today we have -25. How many bottles of vodka do you think I drank today?

I actually think that people in Siberia drink less.
Much, much less than in European parts of Russia - that's my impression.

May be because the nature there is less forgiving of any mistakes, may be because people are more focused with other activities/more busy there; that I don't know.

But I think that casual "as the day goes by" kind of drinking, the kind I saw in Moscow, is NOT a thing in Siberia.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:12 PM

563 posts, read 155,121 times
Quote:
Alcoholism is big in Russia, and it is depressing society.

Even if it is going down today, why has it been such a big problem? And when did it start?

Somebody killed the Romanovs.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:05 AM

I heard that the Russian Tsars historically were the owners of the biggest producers of alcoholic beverages throughout their modern history. From Ivan onward if not before. Just like the Opium trade built the American railroads in the mid 1800s and the drug lords of South America use their dollars to build Mc Mansions all over the world for the most part states will take advantage of this flow of money in various ways. In some cases vice is how governments have and do finance themselves.

Old 02-14-2021, 08:29 AM

Winterfall.

I think it comes down to another big factor. This is not just Russia either. I can go into just about any convenience store or supermarket and buy alcohol in Wa state. Off hand there is only a few I cannot and if it's interesting to know they are Russian owned stores. Marvel Food and Deli in Auburn Wa is just minutes from my home and they do not sell alcohol. At least when I was last there.

West Seattles Westwood QFC? If you walk up to the Customer service counter they not only have the large bottles of hard alcohol behind the counter but right out in front are the small bottles of all the hard alcohol for just $.99, almost every store sells alcohol.

Ubiquity. Everywhere all at once.

Russians are really little different than anyone else when it comes to drinking. It's really more of a stereotype than anything else. Also one held up when trying to cut down Russians when it comes to propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe