Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 02:39 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,619,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's been raining in Paris all week.

Any flooding though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 04:14 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,054,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It's been raining in Paris all week.
But did it rain all week the same dates last year in Paris? Northern Europe has ALWAYS been a bit 'hit and miss' when it comes to the weather at any time of year, its 'usually' nice in July but it can sometimes rain and become unsettled even for a week or two, thats probably why Northern Europeans like to go to the Med regions in the Summer for their holidays...........because you know it is far less likely to be 'unsettled' on the two weeks you happen to book off of work. I know it sounds like its been a bit 'extreme' that side of the channel but is heavy rain in July really that unusual for that part of the world?

Old 07-15-2021, 07:36 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,619,213 times
Belgium, Germany, and now they are saying parts of France too)))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmZ7wduLWk

Old 07-15-2021, 08:03 PM

61,887 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But did it rain all week the same dates last year in Paris? Northern Europe has ALWAYS been a bit 'hit and miss' when it comes to the weather at any time of year, its 'usually' nice in July but it can sometimes rain and become unsettled even for a week or two, thats probably why Northern Europeans like to go to the Med regions in the Summer for their holidays...........because you know it is far less likely to be 'unsettled' on the two weeks you happen to book off of work. I know it sounds like its been a bit 'extreme' that side of the channel but is heavy rain in July really that unusual for that part of the world?
Good observation - we had flood problems in recent years, but they weren't as common decades ago. They seem to get worse.
https://floodlist.com/europe

Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 PM

5,771 posts, read 11,402,301 times
Flooding can and has happened along every river in the world at some time. Less common is flash flooding such as what happened in northwest Germany and some neighboring countries yesterday. The typical flooding along rivers is usually a result of sustained rainfall that causes rivers to rise over a period of several days or sometimes weeks. Widespread damage is usually the result, however, the residents usually have time to get to high ground and find safety.

I bike ride a lot here in Germany, usually over 1000 km (620 miles) per month. I'm retired, with plenty of free time to go exploring. I've ridden bike routes along rivers in many parts of Germany. Beyond the local Chemnitz and Ore Mountains region, I've pedaled bike routes along most of the Elbe, Main, Weser, Fulda, Saale, Neissa, Elster, and Mulde rivers. I've seen astonishing high water flood markers on all of them that date back hundreds of years so flooding is nothing new.

The summer of 2018 and 2019 saw drought and record heat waves in Germany. I remember how hot my old apartment in Leipzig got when the outside temperature was 40c/104f, and it was not pleasant without AC. This year has been a refreshing change in Chemnitz, with just a few days so far above 30c/86f. The frequent rainfall throughout Spring and Summer has helped forests and farmers, as the crops around Saxony look good this year (oats, wheat, barley, rye, corn, rapeseed).

Just a few days ago on the TV news, there were interviews with farmers who were touting the benefits of this year's generous and frequent rain. The frequent rain showers have saturated the ground, which contributed to flash floods in northwest Germany after heavy downpours. The ground could not absorb the downpours and flash flooding was the outcome. It is a grim reminder of the risk of living in a low-lying town in a narrow river valley.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 AM
psv

55 posts, read 36,332 times
Quote:
PAris is NOT in northern Europe.

OH DEAR!

Old 07-16-2021, 06:25 AM

61,887 posts, read 87,385,514 times
In Germany alone 103 dead and over 1600 people missing. The landscape looks terrifying and it's still raining...

Neighbouring Belgium counted at least 15 dead, while Luxembourg and the Netherlands were also severely affected by the torrents of water, with thousands evacuated in the city of Maastricht.

"My empathy and my heart go out to all of those who in this catastrophe lost their loved ones, or who are still worrying about the fate of people still missing," Merkel told reporters in Washington.

Apocalyptic rains ravaged Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium are sparking fears dams could burst.

Last edited by elnina; 07-16-2021 at 06:33 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
PAris is NOT in northern Europe.

OH DEAR!
Yes it is Irene, though what that has to do with the price of baked beans I'm not too sure!
Oh dear!!

https://eminetra.com/extreme-rains-b...europe/643054/
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/f...ist-move-29544

Old 07-16-2021, 08:14 AM
psv

55 posts, read 36,332 times
Quote:
Yes it is Irene, though what that has to do with the price of baked beans I'm not too sure!
Oh dear!!

https://eminetra.com/extreme-rains-b...europe/643054/
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/f...ist-move-29544
Nowhere in France is northern Europe I repeat.

France is Western Europe.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Nowhere in France is northern Europe I repeat.

France is Western Europe.
Yes Paris along with Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany - ie where the floods occured are in North Western Europe!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe