Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 08:57 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,747,926 times

Advertisements

I think we can't even grasp what it must be like to be a small country without any real influence.

So I admire this.

Lithuania v China: A Baltic minnow defies a rising superpower
Lithuania’s small size, the foreign minister lamented, “made us an easy target” for China because “their calculation is that it is good to pick enemies way, way, way below your size, draw them into the fighting ring and then beat them to pulp.”
Lithuania has made “a clear geopolitical decision” to side decisively with the United States, a longtime ally, and other democracies, said Laurynas Kasciunas, chair of the national security and defense committee. “Everyone here agrees on this. We are all very anti-communist Chinese. It is in our DNA.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ower-1.4690040
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 04:11 AM

27,386 posts, read 13,626,751 times
Good for Lithuania.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:00 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,043,819 times
Original title: "Washington/Brussels ordered the government of Lituania(not the citizens) to say something against China and China has no idea Lithuania exists".

Old 10-09-2021, 08:50 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,487,286 times
This is laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrOObczCkE4

Stunts are used to keep the NGO and USSD government grant money flowing. They'll need it considering they have alienated themselves from the 2 major powers on the continent. This is just a few select politicians advertising their wares and their capability like a prostitute sitting in a window in Amsterdams red light District.

Sad thing is these "lovers of democracy" are just lining their pockets at the citizens expense by prostituting it as a base for nefarious people to do nefarious things.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:32 AM

6,472 posts, read 8,217,597 times
Great! Democracies should stop sucking up to authoritarian regimes.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:48 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,043,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
This is laughable.

Stunts are used to keep the NGO and USSD government grant money flowing. They'll need it considering they have alienated themselves from the 2 major powers on the continent. This is just a few select politicians advertising their wares and their capability like a prostitute sitting in a window in Amsterdams red light District.

Sad thing is these "lovers of democracy" are just lining their pockets at the citizens expense by prostituting it as a base for nefarious people to do nefarious things.

Exactly. Let's see now an eastern european country who is against the fading status quo of the eu. It's easy to say "bye" to the fading but you can't say "bye" to the future, in this case: China.

Old 10-09-2021, 01:38 PM

26,847 posts, read 22,671,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Great! Democracies should stop sucking up to authoritarian regimes.

Exactly!

Let's see how the latest spat between Poland and Brussels will work out, after Polish government ruled that Polish national laws are above those of the EU.

https://apnews.com/article/european-...6189443eee3f9c

Old 10-09-2021, 02:56 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,844,440 times
Quote:
This is laughable.

Any country against the US is a friend of yours.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,487,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Any country against the US is a friend of yours.
No. I just happen to expect a little more from the country I am expected to respect as my birth place. I'm a patriotic American that has high expectations, not low or nonexistent ones.

I see China uplifting huge amounts of people, moving human kind forward instead of back. I see Russia constructively working with them and others with a lot of common goals for us all.

What is America doing? What's the last great thing we have done for humanity that accomplished anything good? There were some but from where I am standing there has been far more bad than good.

Respect is earned. Not given.

Lithuania is selling itself as an outpost of "democracy" in order to gain status. They hope to gain from strife and victimhood, it's the same tactic used by Israel for the last 80 years. Lithuanias political class intends to allow western interests into the country for a price (of course) which they will use to enrich themselves.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,033,891 times
Quote:
No. I just happen to expect a little more from the country I am expected to respect as my birth place. I'm a patriotic American that has high expectations, not low or nonexistent ones.

I see China uplifting huge amounts of people, moving human kind forward instead of back. I see Russia constructively working with them and others with a lot of common goals for us all.

What is America doing? What's the last great thing we have done for humanity that accomplished anything good? There were some but from where I am standing there has been far more bad than good.

Respect is earned. Not given.

Lithuania is selling itself as an outpost of "democracy" in order to gain status. They hope to gain from strife and victimhood, it's the same tactic used by Israel for the last 80 years. Lithuanias political class intends to allow western interests into the country for a price (of course) which they will use to enrich themselves.
Chinese government on its citizens decides what you can or cannot say, same with Russia. But it can be with the Western world too with some things, such as questioning the impact of covid and the covid vaccine. Also LGBT rights and political correctness.

However things are not all black and white with the tensions between the west and Russia and China.

BTW Last year, Germany exported almost €100bn of goods to China – roughly half the value of all EU exports there. China has not only become the biggest German export market, on some measures, but also the fastest-growing.

Joe Biden’s meeting with Putin in Geneva in June gave the Russian president what he most wanted. Accepting that the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline will be completed, Biden has empowered Russia to cut off energy supplies in transit countries. Ukraine has been left twisting in the wind, and Poland and the Baltic states are exposed to increasing Russian power.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...eas-live-china
Yet of course each country has it problems. Russia is not seen as good for all its citizens, and far more Russian Jews live outside Russia and Russia itself and for the last 150 years huge numbers of Jews have left Russia. It the same with the ethnic Germans in Russia and there are more ethnic Germans in Russia that live outside of Russia and former USSR than the Russia or former USSR. Both the Jews and ethnic Germans in Russia and a large majority who have already left Russia had a good reason to leave there. It it was all good for them in Russia they would have stayed in Russia.

Taiwan is both causing problems for China and the West. Yet Taiwan for nearly of 150 years has not been part of China, and under Japanese rule from the 19th century to 1945, Taiwan was highly developed and much more than other former imperial possessions of Japan then. The Taiwanese did not have such a negative view of Japanese occupation compared to China. After WW2 it was refugee for the former anti Communist regime in China. After that it relied heavily on US military aid and investments. The Taiwanese and Chinese in China are two different peoples and have different values since they were not part of the same country for 150 years. The people of Taiwan do not want Bejing to determine all of their agenda. It is messy and China hawkish stance of threating to invade China does not help things. It is better with quiet diplomacy for all parties involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe