Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 09:18 AM

9,544 posts, read 16,555,379 times

Advertisements

Isn't Austria locked down now? CNN says Switzerland and Germany may follow. All because they have less citizens vaccinated, and more Covid cases than other European countries. I've had Covid and have had all the shots. I didn't find being sick with Covid all that bad. I've been sicker with a common flu. I think the whole Covid thing has been allowed to get way out of control. It's time for the world to get back to normal.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:10 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm Irish and horrified at what is happening in Europe. Highly vaccinated countries are imposing restrictions and locking down once again. What on earth is going on? This is never ending. Get your booster shots everyone or Christmas is canceled, oh but you can still go to work. That's fine. How long are people going to take this and who are the fools defending lock-downs at this point?
No 'lockdown' in the UK, there hasn't been any restrictions in the UK since July when the mandatory wearing of masks was lifted. The infection rates have remained high but the vaccines have meant that the rate of hospitalisations and subsequently the death rates have remained 'manageable', here its not the infection rate that drives the governments position concerning 'lockdowns', its the death rate. Its my understanding that much less percentage of the population in Austria has been vaccinated which may explain their decision?
Hopefully here the vaccines will mean that, unlike in Europe, we won't be going into any further lockdown's, time will tell I guess.

The issue with high hospitalisations (which is starting to happen in some EU countries) is that it will start to overwhelm the health systems, hence lockdown.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:44 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,575,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, there goes my trip (again) to Germany to visit family. This time, though, I've already spent $2500 on a ticket. Good times! (That was a round trip ECONOMY ticket by the way - first class was $8000).

I am so sick of all this.
I'm afraid I have more bad news for you. Looks like you were fleeced @$2,500.

I plugged DFW to FRA out and back, first and last Wednesday of Feb, and got $748 on AA. Other dates are not much different.

Momondo is currently the best search site out there.

https://www.momondo.com/

Old 11-19-2021, 01:58 PM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post

I plugged DFW to FRA out and back, first and last Wednesday of Feb, and got $748 on AA. Other dates are not much different.

Right. Prices are up, but not that much. Wouldn't pay that for economy plus.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,109,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Isn't Austria locked down now? CNN says Switzerland and Germany may follow. All because they have less citizens vaccinated, and more Covid cases than other European countries. I've had Covid and have had all the shots. I didn't find being sick with Covid all that bad. I've been sicker with a common flu. I think the whole Covid thing has been allowed to get way out of control. It's time for the world to get back to normal.
Germany doesn't have the US listed as a high risk area and yet THEY consider themselves and places like Austria and Switzerland etc to be such high risk that it's ridiculous. Their vaccination rate is higher than ours! I am so sick of everything.

Now I have been fully vaccinated (and had my booster) and have to be tested within 48 hours of landing in Germany. And I have to quarantine.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post

I talked with American Airlines and I will get a credit or refund. Probably a credit. That's OK.

I am aware that I can get a lower rate when it's NOT CHRISTMAS but I wanted to spend Christmas with my family for the first time in years.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. Prices are up, but not that much. Wouldn't pay that for economy plus.
I don't want to go to Germany in February. Or March. Or really April. Maybe May.

What I really want to do is go to Germany for Christmas 2021. That costs $2500.

Also, it's not just me I'm worried about. I want to go to Germany when my granddaughter is not in college, which is basically December 15 through Jan 10. Her dad is paying for her ticket but I paid $2500 for mine. Which is THE MOST EXPENSIVE TICKET I HAVE EVER BOUGHT.

Her dad didn't believe tickets were that expensive either but he checked and that's the going price for the Christmas season. And it's more expensive on the weekends. I bought a ticket for Tuesday and Tuesdays and Wednesdays were the least expensive I could find.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:27 PM

6,832 posts, read 4,287,044 times
I declined to go home this Christmas, and I felt bad about it, but I feel like this vindicates me.

The logic in those countries is curious. They tell people en masse to get vaccinated with the promise that they'll be able to return to life, and vast majorities of people do so.

Those people then find out that the decision on whether the country goes into lockdown is unrelated to whether the virus is especially dangerous to that vast majority of people, but whether a bureaucratic apparatus and its political leaders somewhere decide that the health system is at risk of being overwhelmed or not. Of course, there is typically very little transparency on the data that's behind those decisions and how reliable it is. The fact that authorities and the media use *case numbers* as a benchmark at a time when that has essentially become a meaningless statistic only increases the suspicion that these decisions are perhaps ill-considered.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:20 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,307,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I speak from experience. Other than May to July this year there hasn’t been any disruption in life here, very few have died from Covid and the economy is doing well (3% growth in 2020 and 7% in 2021). The only major restrictions in life is the mask mandate and strict border control. Europe on the other hand has had several lockdowns, millions have died, and the economy is in shambles, but people still refuse to listen. It’s monumentally stupid.

what you describe is very similar to the situation here in Italy, and it's possible to cross the borders too, providing you are fully vaccinated.

Well maybe not the economy, but right now the main restriction is masks indoors.

I really hope it stays that way, the Austria situation is pretty scary...

Old 11-19-2021, 04:29 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,575,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I talked with American Airlines and I will get a credit or refund. Probably a credit. That's OK.

I am aware that I can get a lower rate when it's NOT CHRISTMAS but I wanted to spend Christmas with my family for the first time in years.
Go for the refund. There are still much cheaper fares available for 12/14 - 1/11. Lufthansa $1139.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe