Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
What's going on is years and years of cutting on the healthcare budget, with now more expensive healthcare, less employees and less IC beds. This combined with a virus that's deadlier than the flu, but not by a lot. So the appropiate thing to have done was focussing all care and/or vaccines on the elderly and other vulnerable people, just like how it's done with the flu shots. Let the healthy population build natural immunity. But since healthcare has gone to ****, this was apparently not possible. However, when we have a really big flu season, the hospitals are overwhelmed as well and the IC beds are not sufficient. But do we have a lockdown in those winters? Nope. Do cancer treatments stop in those winters? Nope. Does the government raise awareness for eating healthy and exercising, as to combat for example obesity, an extremely important risk factor for corona deaths? Nope. On the contrary, prices of veggies and fruit have gone up recently here, and filthy cookies and other bull**** products have gone down in price. You tell me what's going on here.
I totally get it. The whole thing is getting completely out of hand! I am so sick of everything, especially politicizing this situation, which like you said, is similar to a bad flu season.

I live in the US, in Texas, and I only know one person who has died, and she was over 60 and had pre existing conditions (and for the record, she wasn't vaccinated to my knowledge). I mean, it is still sad to lose someone but I've known tons of people who have tested positive and have only had a mild OR ASYMPTOMATIC illness that they have fully recovered from.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:40 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally get it. The whole thing is getting completely out of hand! I am so sick of everything, especially politicizing this situation, which like you said, is similar to a bad flu season.

I live in the US, in Texas, and I only know one person who has died, and she was over 60 and had pre existing conditions (and for the record, she wasn't vaccinated to my knowledge). I mean, it is still sad to lose someone but I've known tons of people who have tested positive and have only had a mild OR ASYMPTOMATIC illness that they have fully recovered from.
Count your blessings but do not tell others who were not so blessed what to do and think.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Quote:
I can only go from December 20 through January 3. Do you have a link for an economy plus flight for that time frame? Non stop or one layover max. Oh and my daughter is picking me up from the airport so the arrival time needs to be within a normal time frame and I need to have a day or two to recuperate before Christmas. Thanks!

Oh and there needs to be two seats available even though I am only paying for one. My granddaughter is 19 and we don't have to sit together.
Just saw this now. Prices are rising. Cheapest now 1635. Lufthansa has jumped from $1,200 to $2,000.

Ignore the sponsored result at the top.

Outward leg Jet Blue/TAP stop in Boston and Lisbon
Return direct with Lufthansa.
Not sure if this link will transfer correctly.

https://www.momondo.com/flight-searc...t=bestflight_a

Old 11-22-2021, 09:31 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
Does the government raise awareness for eating healthy and exercising, as to combat for example obesity, an extremely important risk factor for corona deaths? Nope. On the contrary, prices of veggies and fruit have gone up recently here, and filthy cookies and other bull**** products have gone down in price. You tell me what's going on here.
People are sick to death of globalization.

People prefer to consume Chinese crap, produced by slave and near-slave labor, because of money illusion.

Historically, money illusion works most of the time, for a long time. Too many examples to cite.

No, a critical mass of the people in the countries of early industrialization will not wake up from the illusion in time.

It's already too late, they are already sick in terms of old age, diet, blood and respiratory diseases, money illusion, deteriorating freedoms and, in short, the burden of where to put all that Chinese crap.

We used to have an expression, "Kick'em where they breathe!"

That's exactly what they've done to the critical masses of the countries of early industrialization.

Good Luck!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Count your blessings but do not tell others who were not so blessed what to do and think.
Oh I don't. I'm just saying for me, where I am, the whole thing feels sort of ridiculous at this point.

I had to GO HOME IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN when I fell and broke my elbow severely (had to have a complete elbow replacement) because it was supposedly "more dangerous for me to be in the hospital than out of it." Due to COVID. What actually ended up happening, after I went back to the doctor the next day crying and begging to be allowed to be checked in the day before surgery, was that they had to open an entire ward that had been completely shut down for me. Were they out of beds? No. Were they out of space? No. Were they out of staff? No - much of the staff had been furloughed (more on that in a minute). Was I anywhere NEAR any COVID patients? No. But the orthopedic ward was completely shut down because all surgeries were canceled. They were considered to be "voluntary." The staff was furloughed. Believe me, mine was involuntary and though I've had four kids, without anesthesia, this was the worst pain I'd ever felt. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself or lay down, and forget trying to get dressed - but it was more dangerous for me to be in the hospital than out of it according to them. Lord have mercy. It was interesting to me though that they opened the ward up for me (after I pitched a wall eyed fit) and called in some nurses and all that good stuff.

Crazy times.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Just saw this now. Prices are rising. Cheapest now 1635. Lufthansa has jumped from $1,200 to $2,000.

Ignore the sponsored result at the top.

Outward leg Jet Blue/TAP stop in Boston and Lisbon
Return direct with Lufthansa.
Not sure if this link will transfer correctly.

https://www.momondo.com/flight-searc...t=bestflight_a
Sorry - not going to have two layovers. Thanks for looking for me though.

I didn't see any flights at all though for under about $2200.

Also, remember - I paid $200 more for "economy plus" because I am tall and need more leg room. I don't think this link was for economy plus - just regular economy. And "economy light" whatever the heck that is.

Also, on that link - when I went to it, the priceline price was over $2200 (for basic economy) and the flight over there, with the layover, is over 18 hours. The best deal is the Lufthansa flight - at $2128 for basic economy and it's nonstop. But for an upgrade to Economy Plus will be more expensive. And actually my flight is about $2448, not an even $2500. Prior to the "upgrade" for more legroom on a 9 hour flight, the cost was $2248 so not that much difference.

I've never heard of eDreams for the record. Here's the deal - I won't even use Expedia (3rd party vendor) for a big trip because I've been told my several vendors (airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc) that it's just not as sure or as easy if anything goes wrong to go through a third party. And actually I did have a terrible experience once with a third party vendor - pretty sure it WAS Expedia - on a trip one time. And yes, it was when something went wrong and I was trying to discuss it with the hotel. Ooops, nope, can't do that because the reservation was made through Expedia, not through the hotel. Ugh.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-22-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 01:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
People are sick to death of globalization.

People prefer to consume Chinese crap, produced by slave and near-slave labor, because of money illusion.

Historically, money illusion works most of the time, for a long time. Too many examples to cite.

No, a critical mass of the people in the countries of early industrialization will not wake up from the illusion in time.

It's already too late, they are already sick in terms of old age, diet, blood and respiratory diseases, money illusion, deteriorating freedoms and, in short, the burden of where to put all that Chinese crap.

We used to have an expression, "Kick'em where they breathe!"

That's exactly what they've done to the critical masses of the countries of early industrialization.

Good Luck!
Have you seen how thin and healthy people are in Italy and France?

Bad diet is more of a cultural problem than anything.

By the way, China is not a dirt poor country these days. A lot of manufacturing is being moved from China because it is too expensive.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:55 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Sorry - not going to have two layovers. Thanks for looking for me though.

I didn't see any flights at all though for under about $2200.

Also, remember - I paid $200 more for "economy plus" because I am tall and need more leg room. I don't think this link was for economy plus - just regular economy. And "economy light" whatever the heck that is.

Also, on that link - when I went to it, the priceline price was over $2200 (for basic economy) and the flight over there, with the layover, is over 18 hours. The best deal is the Lufthansa flight - at $2128 for basic economy and it's nonstop. But for an upgrade to Economy Plus will be more expensive. And actually my flight is about $2448, not an even $2500. Prior to the "upgrade" for more legroom on a 9 hour flight, the cost was $2248 so not that much difference.

I've never heard of eDreams for the record. Here's the deal - I won't even use Expedia (3rd party vendor) for a big trip because I've been told my several vendors (airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc) that it's just not as sure or as easy if anything goes wrong to go through a third party. And actually I did have a terrible experience once with a third party vendor - pretty sure it WAS Expedia - on a trip one time. And yes, it was when something went wrong and I was trying to discuss it with the hotel. Ooops, nope, can't do that because the reservation was made through Expedia, not through the hotel. Ugh.
For what it is worth, we pay fares all the time like that. It is, for us, further, but everyone we know looks for a flight with only one stopover on the way to Europe. And is happy to pay for it.

Sydney to Germany, one stop return over Christmas is $US3,000 on economy and $US8,000 on business. With precisely one choice of airline, Qatar.

I suspect the only people going would be those visiting family, too much uncertainty for tourists.

You have to pay what you are comfortable paying and I also prefer not to use third party vendors. We have had to cancel numerous trips these past two years and it has been easier with direct bookings.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Have you seen how thin and healthy people are in Italy and France?

Bad diet is more of a cultural problem than anything.

By the way, China is not a dirt poor country these days. A lot of manufacturing is being moved from China because it is too expensive.
17% overweight/obese in France is healthy and thin?

Old 11-22-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't. I'm just saying for me, where I am, the whole thing feels sort of ridiculous at this point.

I had to GO HOME IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN when I fell and broke my elbow severely (had to have a complete elbow replacement) because it was supposedly "more dangerous for me to be in the hospital than out of it." Due to COVID. What actually ended up happening, after I went back to the doctor the next day crying and begging to be allowed to be checked in the day before surgery, was that they had to open an entire ward that had been completely shut down for me. Were they out of beds? No. Were they out of space? No. Were they out of staff? No - much of the staff had been furloughed (more on that in a minute). Was I anywhere NEAR any COVID patients? No. But the orthopedic ward was completely shut down because all surgeries were canceled. They were considered to be "voluntary." The staff was furloughed. Believe me, mine was involuntary and though I've had four kids, without anesthesia, this was the worst pain I'd ever felt. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself or lay down, and forget trying to get dressed - but it was more dangerous for me to be in the hospital than out of it according to them. Lord have mercy. It was interesting to me though that they opened the ward up for me (after I pitched a wall eyed fit) and called in some nurses and all that good stuff.

Crazy times.
This is totally OT but I will answer.
You fell over your dog. You experienced some pain and inconveniences. If you want to hear about pain please pm me. I will gladly share.
Your current residence is not underground but in Tyler, TX.
Please give a bit. It is not all about you.
Enjoy your trip. Have a Gluehwein for me if there is any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe