Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
what you describe is very similar to the situation here in Italy, and it's possible to cross the borders too, providing you are fully vaccinated.

Well maybe not the economy, but right now the main restriction is masks indoors.

I really hope it stays that way, the Austria situation is pretty scary...
I hope it stays that way too. Italy's cases are increasing, as are Germany's . German stocks and bonds took a hit earlier - not sure what the status is right now but earlier today they were down significantly because of concerns about lockdowns similar to those in Austria.

The Munich Christkindlmarkt is completely canceled as of today or yesterday.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Go for the refund. There are still much cheaper fares available for 12/14 - 1/11. Lufthansa $1139.
I'll see what I can do. I don't want layovers if at all possible. I would consider one but not more than one.

My daughter got a cut rate deal when she came home for my husband's funeral in 2020 but she had four layovers and was traveling through airports and in the air for about 16 hours. A non stop or even one stop flight is around 9 to 12 hours.

Weather is iffy in December and January and one delayed flight can really have a domino effect. I got caught in one of those just in the US when I only had ONE layover - and got diverted to another state due to weather - in June 2021. I missed my connecting flight and ended up crammed into one four hours later with about a gazillion people and I ended up getting into my destination at 3 am. I was just lucky to be able to rent a vehicle at 3 am from the airport and got into my hotel around 4:30 am. Ugh!

Old 11-20-2021, 02:33 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I talked with American Airlines and I will get a credit or refund. Probably a credit. That's OK.

I am aware that I can get a lower rate when it's NOT CHRISTMAS but I wanted to spend Christmas with my family for the first time in years.
Are you not going because of the quarantine requirement or because of other restrictions?

My sister lives in Dubai and was planning to go to France soon. Not sure what she will do.

Everyone is sick of it. But looks like it is not going away any time soon.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:37 AM

4,955 posts, read 3,319,465 times
I was trying click to translate to english....
suddenly it does not work...on my pc...
tried other pages same....
so german video. Water cannon used on citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_reibvka2k&t=1144s

Old 11-20-2021, 05:32 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
what you describe is very similar to the situation here in Italy, and it's possible to cross the borders too, providing you are fully vaccinated.

Well maybe not the economy, but right now the main restriction is masks indoors.

I really hope it stays that way, the Austria situation is pretty scary...
Well everyone entering still needs to quarantine for 2 weeks here, vaccinated or not. That's what I meant by border restrictions.

Old 11-20-2021, 07:45 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
What on earth is going on? This is never ending.

As with every crises, it is being taken advantage of for the usual reasons; money and power.

Old 11-20-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Are you not going because of the quarantine requirement or because of other restrictions?

My sister lives in Dubai and was planning to go to France soon. Not sure what she will do.

Everyone is sick of it. But looks like it is not going away any time soon.
Oh so far I am still going - but I know that could change. I do have insurance on the flight and I also talked with American Airlines yesterday and they told me I can cancel up to the date of the trip and get a credit or (harder) a refund.

So far, Germany hasn't gone as draconian as Austria but time will tell.

So far, as of today, just a few minutes ago, I won't have to quarantine and neither will my granddaughter because the US has been removed as a high risk area. That could change too, who knows. Everything is fluctuating. For instance, when I bought the ticket, the US was considered high risk and I was going to have to quarantine but only for 5 days, which was fine with me.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:31 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
I was trying click to translate to english....
suddenly it does not work...on my pc...
tried other pages same....
so german video. Water cannon used on citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_reibvka2k&t=1144s
Well, the Netherlands are using live ammo.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:39 AM

You know what this reminds me of (it's happening on a couple of threads where I mentioned that my round trip tickets over Christmas for Economy Plus were nearly $2500)? It reminds me of people who haven't put up a wooden fence in several years, but they know someone who has. And then they say "Well, I just wouldn't pay those lumber costs - if they're even real." Well, maybe you would if you had to have a fence. And maybe there are certain constraints.

For instance, I am 59 years old and I broke the heck out of my right (dominant) arm last year. I am lucky to have decent range of motion but my arm, which has titanium screws and rods and all that good stuff in it, is weak and painful even now a year later. I simply cannot install french drains by myself in my back yard. I cannot dig. I cannot use a shovel. So all the advice about how to do it cheaply (generally by myself, or driving around looking for parts or whatever) just won't work for me. All the anecdotal stories about knowing someone who paid a lot less than I paid - well, they don't help. Do people think I didn't shop around? I didn't get several quotes? I don't know what people think but I paid what I paid and I had to have it and I'm glad I did it.

Same with the airline ticket. I needed Economy Plus because I'm tall. I needed to go on certain dates because of Christmas and my granddaughter's school schedule and my daughter's schedule and boarding my three dogs, oh and the shuttle to the airport - don't forget that piece of the puzzle. I could only tolerate up to 1 layover and I'd prefer non stop because I have been seriously screwed by layovers in the past - and come to find out, the difference in cost for the days I chose is next to nothing. So why deal with a layover at Christmas time somewhere? Sorry but I don't want to fly Qatar Air or some seriously offbrand something or other - and they're few and far between anyway.

I've done my homework and will keep doing my homework. I appreciate actual advice but I do not appreciate or need anyone saying "Well, for starters you got screwed over because there's no way a ticket should cost $2500 and you probably didn't have to pay that. I know someone who goes to Germany and they only pay $400 round trip!" Yeah, I did that too once - in 1995.

My daughter came home in 2020 for my husband's funeral, from Germany. Her ticket was around $1700. It was at the end of August, not Christmas time. It had at least 3 layovers. She was traveling for 16 hours. She was absolutely beat when she got here. And it was the cheapest flight that could be found. I don't even know what airline it was on.

Anyway, the lockdowns are really interesting and horrible to watch from the US.

Old 11-20-2021, 11:49 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Having a bad hair day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.